We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lecture – How can we get the media to tell the truth about drugs? [Prof. David Nutt] Options

d*l*b
#1 Posted : 12/19/2011 11:55:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Professor David Nutt (Imperial College London) delivers the 2011 Monica Fooks Memorial Lecture.

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/how-can-we-get-media-tell-truth-about-drugs-audio

About Professor David Nutt

Professor Nutt is currently the Edmund J Safra Professor of Neuropsychopharmacology and director of the Neuropsychopharmacology Unit in the Division of Experimental Medicine at Imperial College London. He received his undergraduate training in medicine at Cambridge and Guy's Hospital, and continued training in neurology to MRCP. After completing his psychiatric training in Oxford, he continued there as a lecturer and then later as a Wellcome Senior Fellow in psychiatry. He then spent two years as Chief of the Section of Clinical Science in the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism in NIH, Bethesda, USA. On returning to England in 1988 he set up the Psychopharmacology Unit in Bristol University, an interdisciplinary research grouping spanning the departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacology before moving to Imperial College London in December 2008 where he leads a similar group with a particular focus on brain imaging especially PET. He broadcasts widely to the general public both on radio and television including recent BBC Horizon on drug harms and their classification. He also lecturers widely to the public as well as to the scientific and medical communities; for instance has presented three time at the Cheltenham Science Festival and several times for Café Scientifiques. In 2010 he was listed as one of the 100 most important figures in British Science by The Times Eureka science magazine.
D × V × F > R

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

proto-pax
#2 Posted : 12/20/2011 12:43:56 AM

bird-brain

listening to it now, i love it. Sadly i don't think it will change anything.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

d*l*b
#3 Posted : 12/20/2011 1:19:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

proto-pax wrote:
listening to it now, i love it. Sadly i don't think it will change anything.

Yeah, I don’t think the lecture is proposing any ways to get the media to change their stance. The lecture does give a good overview of media/political views surrounding drugs in the UK at the moment though.
D × V × F > R

Entropymancer
#4 Posted : 12/20/2011 7:53:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I'm only 20 minutes in, but it seems like a very lucid presentation of the situation. Since he keeps referring to graphs and figures, I did a quick search to see if there's video to go with it. Looks like it's up on YouTube. Unfortunately the camera mostly focuses on Nutt and doesn't show many the figures, so it's not entirely better, but here it is anyway:

Purges
#5 Posted : 12/20/2011 8:57:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

David Nutt is a legend. Listening intently now Smile
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

gantz grof
#6 Posted : 1/1/2012 5:47:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

this lecture was very good, highly enjoyable
my name, is nobody.

*Gantz Grof is a fictional character created as part of an interactive experimental hyperreal novel concept
Gantz Grof exists within "Meta-Novel" which you are currently reading, and therefore a part of.

As one critique of Meta-Novel said:
"if Meta-Novel is fiction, then what is reality?"
As nein critiques said:
"Genius" "Fresh" "the new IN!"

Meta-Novel draws its inspiration from the likes of Kaufman, Jarmusch and others, who coincidentally stole the idea from the creator of Gantz Grof and Meta-Novel.
Meta-Novel is all rights reserved, Once existing within Metaverse, one is owned and belongs to Meta-Novel itself, and therefore also the creator of Meta-Novel

VisualAnemia
#7 Posted : 1/1/2012 7:31:53 PM

Chalgren

Media is a controlled power

To influence media, you would need to influence the power, and how does one do that?
With/through contacts, financial means and political marionettes.

The HUGE issue with drugs, is the fact that the largest distributors of these are illicit and controlled by the mafia whom wants none of your "truth" to fiddle with their business, neither does our reigning aristocrats.

Your best shot at spreading the "truth" through the media would be to run for president Pleased

Sad but true, also the reason why SWIM doesn't give a rat's ass about these discriminating laws, but that's SWIM's choice in order to preserve SWIM's way of life and nothing will change that.

If SWIM enjoys spending a couple of minutes in SWIM's sofa smoking some DMT that's SWIM's choice.
Mad, bad and dangerous to know.

There's magic out there!