We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
my intro Options

Almo
#1 Posted : 12/22/2011 11:36:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings, explorers Smile

I just thought I'd make an account so I could ask questions from time to time. I probably won't have much to say because I have no experience with entheogens (unless you count weed), just a lot of curiosity; I'm a firm believer in education and risk-minimization. I never was much of a party type when I was a kid, but now that I'm older and see that the programs I was given were based on pandemic delusion, I'm looking for my own programs now.

That being said, I'm a student of the wonderful field of anthropology, working on my masters degree in evolutionary topics. I'm from the US, currently studying in the UK.

I spend a lot of time reading through Erowid which is how I found this site, it seems like a super great resource; well-founded and well-run. I wish you all the best and maybe we'll get to know each other a bit.

-Indie
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place." -The Red Queen

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

nen888
#2 Posted : 12/23/2011 4:21:23 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..hi Indie Anthias, glad you find this a good resource..
perhaps you could find some 'anthropological' experience of entheogens along the way..
feel free to ask any questions..

Guyomech
#3 Posted : 12/23/2011 4:51:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

Have you read anything by Terence McKenna? As an anthropologist you would find him fascinating- his writings were focused on the psychedelic experience in general, but he also delved into a theory on human brain evolution and language development being kick-started by our descent from the trees and exploration of grasslands, with the discovery of cow patties, and the inevitable psilocybin mushrooms sprouting from them...

Almo
#4 Posted : 12/24/2011 3:07:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the welcome guys, I haven't read McKenna yet but I've heard excerpts of speaches form him (on Youtube and whatnot), and I'm quite taken aback by his insights. The "operating system" metaphore, that I'm sure everyone here is familiar with, is an idea that I'm very receptive to.

Needless to say I'm up to the gills in evolutionary theories right now and some of them are quite compelling, but I'd love to give McKenna's take some consideration. Right now I'm reading about an idea that human-style cognition evolved under runaway sexual selection, similar to the peacock tail. Most of these ideas are impossible to prove, though, for various reasons. But I guess the premise of this forum is that other avenues of cognative exploration are available, isn't it?

I do have one noob-ish intro question that I'll run by you guys if you don't mind. I'm reading through the position of this community, and I understand full well that particulars about buying/selling are not ok to talk about. This is standard on every forum I've ever visited. But, I'm under the impression that manufacture would fall into the same legal category. I guess the big question here is why is this not targeted by law enforcement?

I have some guesses, but could you guys help me to understand this better?
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place." -The Red Queen

Guyomech
#5 Posted : 12/24/2011 10:22:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

No doubt you've got law enforcement occasionally checking out this site... But without any buying/selling going on, no "ring" they can disrupt, we are all too small-time to bother with. Keep in mind that law enforcement is expensive!