We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV8910
Stop pirating drug culture books Options

a1pha
#181 Posted : 9/22/2011 3:08:24 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
Cool, but it really isn't addressing piracy, how it has impacted them and how they feel about it.

I do respect it, but it has very little to do with the topic.
I don't know an author against sharing information, but i don't know an author who likes piracy.

the idea that piracy is sharing information is really overly simple
ask them if it is ok to scan their books and give them out free of charge and then see what they say

Part of my response to Tiana (forwarded to Ann):

Quote:
...This includes PDFs of PIHKAL, TIHKAL, and the Shulgin Index as well as individual papers.

Albert, I don't really understand what you're arguing here. What do you mean by 'piracy'? I'm scanning books and making them available for download to anyone who visits my site. I'm calling it information sharing - but it's essentially piracy - and on-topic. Please help me understand your argument...

...and I'm still waiting to hear which authors you're talking about.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

gantz grof
#182 Posted : 11/13/2011 4:30:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i just see this as one of those issues "society" wants you to care about, wants you to think it's wrong/bad/immoral/illegal (i should probably put illegal before immoral since society dictates that doing something that is against the law is far worse than doing something immoral), you know, media dictates right and wrong, media = big business, piracy = less profits for big business, so media says piracy is wrong, so public opinion = piracy is wrong.

there are infinitely more important things to care about than piracy, if society wasn't so greedy and cruel, then you know, perhaps there wouldn't be a need for money, perhaps no one would live in poverty, perhaps everyone would have access to free healthcare, free food and water, and free information, all free, piracy wouldn't exist because everything is free and there is no greed.

instead of putting a lot of your energy into caring about this non-issue, why not instead put it into something much more productive and actually relevant to society, the world (the war on personal freedom aka drug prohibition or any prohibition, wars with guns and bombs ie iraq etc, the evil doings of big business, wasting away our world, plants and animals alike), there are so many more relevant things to care about.

have you ever heard the term "reap what you sow"? well this is exactly what piracy is, big business created piracy, piracy is a good thing, piracy is moral, piracy is just, everyone should partake in piracy, piracy is the future.

if you could look at society as a whole, the world as a whole, look at it all as one, you would see piracy is a non-issue, and you know theft isn't immoral either in many contexts (a poor man stealing food from a rich man), and if you cant agree with that, then i feel that you are delusional.
yet many people will see this as wrong, and then they'll defend big business for legally stealing billions of dollars from the lower classes, and these people are called "the honourable" they are treated with respect, because society has been brainwashed (or behaviourally conditioned) into believing certain things are right and wrong.

entheogens teach us many things, and one of those things is reading between and also beyond the lines, our alcoholic, food addicted, tv addicted, pharma-addicted society is bread to only read the lines, and those lines say that piracy is wrong, and there's nothing wrong with going to war, there's nothing wrong with deforestation, you dont have to think about it, big business knows best, relax, go to sleep.

i would imagine people like shulgin who the OP has cited, but many others who have an interest in entheogens and the like, would have an overwhelming sense of fulfilment to know their work has reached so many people.

after reading as many posts in this thread as i could take, i became extremely impatient with the OP's rehashed bile, the world is changing every day, and there is no place for being conservative, this is how species become extinct.

please wake up.

i am proud to say that i partake in frequent piracy, and if you do it, you should be proud too.

my name, is nobody.

*Gantz Grof is a fictional character created as part of an interactive experimental hyperreal novel concept
Gantz Grof exists within "Meta-Novel" which you are currently reading, and therefore a part of.

As one critique of Meta-Novel said:
"if Meta-Novel is fiction, then what is reality?"
As nein critiques said:
"Genius" "Fresh" "the new IN!"

Meta-Novel draws its inspiration from the likes of Kaufman, Jarmusch and others, who coincidentally stole the idea from the creator of Gantz Grof and Meta-Novel.
Meta-Novel is all rights reserved, Once existing within Metaverse, one is owned and belongs to Meta-Novel itself, and therefore also the creator of Meta-Novel

nexalizer
#183 Posted : 11/21/2011 11:28:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AlbertKLloyd wrote:

I cannot afford many books, I do not believe that I have a right to read them and choose not to betray the authors

How are you betraying the author by reading and learning from them?

AlbertKLloyd wrote:

The idea that stealing from people contributes to human evolution is despicable. The idea that preventing an author from publishing by undermining their work through theft is somehow part of the greater good is just an argument of justification after the fact that is nothin less than part of the mentality we need to evolve away from.

I'm sorry.. but if you have a car and I steal it, now I have your car, and you no longer have one. That's stealing.

This is not so with digital media. Your logic is exactly the same being used by the RIAA/MPAA. And I'll answer exactly the same way: Downloading a pirated copy does not mean the author is losing money, who's to say you would have bought the original work? Counting a download as a lost sale is ridiculous.

Also, as many others have pointed out, what about the poor people who genuinely could not afford the books? Personally, I have more moral issues with keeping these people ignorant than "betraying" the author by giving them a PDF.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

SKA
#184 Posted : 11/24/2011 11:49:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I completely agree with Snozz.
Knowledge should be free. Making copies of books isn't a crime.
I find the Library comparison very right. The internet SHOULD be a place where knowledge, music & arts can
be distributed freely.

I wanted to have the books TIHKAL & PIHKAL for a long time and so I bought both of them. I like to
support people like Shulging and the work they do and I heard that recently him & Anne are in financial trouble.
But then I wonder how much of my money will actually end up in their hands.

If I download a copy of a book I am no criminal. Perhaps I'm a little short on money? The worst you can accuse me of is being a little cheap & greedy.
But to call me a thief and a criminal would just be delusional. Delusional, like large corporations ceaselessly harassing and prosecuting the general public
to protect and ensure their profits.

I can understand many people for downloading music, movies/documentairies & ebooks. Many books are very expensive.
And a 100 cd collection of music would cost you tons of money if you bought it all in CDs. Downloading allows you
to gather an impressive collection of books, CDs & Movies/Docs alot faster than buying it. off course people prefer
that. Most of the money you pay for books or documentairies/movies/music CDs ends up in the hands of distribution
companies & shop owners.

It would be better if autors & artists would make & distribute their own Books, Movies, Docs & CDs.
Without a recording company & distributer they could bring the price of their product down alot.
They could sell it via a webshop on their website, allowing people to transfer money from their
bank account to the autor's/artist's bank account directly.

Autors & artists should work more freelance and independantly. If the price is alot lower &
I am assured that every bit of the money I spend ends up in the autor's/artist's pocket, then
I feel much more comfortable about buying books, CDs & Documentairies again.

«PREV8910