We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Crystals on string or similar Options

cilocyber
#1 Posted : 10/31/2011 12:24:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

hi guys.

Swim did her first mimosa extract this weekend and had a problem collecting the crystals.

Swim found that swim lost a lot of crystal by not being able to get them all out when pouring the naptha, a lot stayed behind in the jar. Swim remembers at school she did crystals on a string that was suspended from a pencil above the medium. Swim wants to know if something similar could be done by suspending a string into the naptha somehow, while still have the jar shut. Or maybe by making a little stand from a paperclip or something that would stand inside the solution and then maybe the crystals would grow on that?

OH, swim also wants to know if there is not anything better that coffee filters to use, since the ones she used seem to absorb a bit of the crystal and would not for the life of her let it go. Kind of bonded to it Sad

Swim thinks this would only work if the solution was saturated and understands that this is not the case, though she dearly wishes it was Smile

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Dan
#2 Posted : 10/31/2011 2:35:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

your crystals should stick to the sides/bottom of your freeze precipitation jar. then all you do is pour off the naphtha, let it air dry for a few hours and then scrape the jar with a spoon, knife, etc to collect your crystals.

i dont use coffee filters, haven't had the need to yet with my extractions. my crystals stick to the jar and stay there when i pour off the naphtha.

Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!

cilocyber
#3 Posted : 10/31/2011 7:21:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Swim had some left in the bottom of a jar, and poured as much white spirit off of them as possible, leaving the rest to evaporate off. Found that the white spirit was taking long to evaporate and that it had gotten to room temperate and was melting the crystals.

Swim's own fault for stating that she used naptha when in fact she used white spirit. Still, does you answer apply to white spirit as well? Should it evaporate off and leave the crystals behind in the jar?

Thanx in advance

Oneiroi
#4 Posted : 10/31/2011 7:37:22 PM

Tim

I found I had the same problem when I just poured out the solvent and tried to let it dry. There would still be some droplets of solvent that would dissolve the crystals. Try turning your jar upside down so that gravity will force any droplets of your solvent down and away from your crystals, I've found that this solves the problem.

As long as your white spirit evaporates cleanly it should be fine.
Anything I say is completely false and should not be taken seriously.

Limeni
#5 Posted : 10/31/2011 11:35:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

...and if you want to be extra careful, you can put the jar back into the freezer upside down while the last drops drip out.

Interesting idea about the string though - has some aesthetic potential! Cool

Oh, and I think White Spirit technically is naphtha, so you weren't wrong (...although there are better-smelling alternatives out there).

Welcome to the Nexus, and good luck with the extraction.

Egokiller
#6 Posted : 11/15/2011 2:14:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also once your upside down container in the freezer is done sitting, I always transfer to the fridge right side up for a couple hours, and then remove and put your container some where cool and let sit for a day or 2 until everything is dry. if you remove straight out of freezer than your whole container is gona start perspirating due to the drastic change in temp, kinda like a cold beer does when you take it out the fridge. So remember, From the freezer upside down to the fridge right side up, and then to a dark cool spot.

fr0zen
#7 Posted : 11/16/2011 4:52:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

cilocyber wrote:
Swim remembers at school she did crystals on a string that was suspended from a pencil above the medium. Swim wants to know if something similar could be done

Sure it can be done. I did it this weekend actually; I didn't do it during a regular pull, but rather during a reX. Tie a knot in a string and suspend it in the solution (you can make the string stay afloat by running a piece of scotch tape across the center of the opening of the jar and and taping the end of the string to that). Crystals will start to attach to the string, just hang to dry when you're done. If you want more crystals to grow on it, the next time you do a pull/reX just put the string back in the solution for more to form Smile

fr0zen attached the following image(s):
3.jpg (529kb) downloaded 116 time(s).

Ovidroid
#8 Posted : 11/16/2011 5:22:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The most beautiful Q-tip I've ever seen... Smile

Oneiroi
#9 Posted : 11/16/2011 4:40:04 PM

Tim

I'd love to stick that in my ear! Smile
Anything I say is completely false and should not be taken seriously.