We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Separation of chemicals Options

Borstili
#1 Posted : 11/15/2011 8:01:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Dear friends,

I just have a little question. I am not an expert when it comes to chemistry but I have had some thoughts and do not know how useful they perhaps could be. I have seen some people think in similar directions at the active phalaris thread but unfortunately I can not post there, so I simply post here and hope some people read it and can tell me what they think of my ideas.

What I thought of is: When you have a mixture of different molecules like a crude phalaris extract, couldn't you make a refinement by putting it in a vaporizer at varying temperatures and leading the vapor through ice cold vinegar or some other acidic liquid, afterwards getting the molecules back by basifying and pulling? Perhaps after some runs through the vaporizer, one could end up with quite clean batches of different chemicals from the starting batch.

Another idea is: When you have different chemicals, perhaps they behave differently when it comes to forming salts. Perhaps at a relatively high ph of 5 or such, one alkaloid would form more salts compared to another. Again, after some repeating of the procedure one could make use of the different behaviour of the molecules.

One could also try using varying solvents at varying temperatures repeatedly in a similar fashion. Perhaps one chemical is not as soluble in very cold naphta as the other, whereas at room temp both are very soluble.

What I think until now is that the methods might work theoretically but for practical purposes it might be that they are bad as one can perhaps get mostly one chemical and practically nothing from others, but relatively little compared to starting material ( which would not be lost of course but need redoing all the work again to gain another very little batch of purer stuff).

Please let me know what you think, I have no experience when it comes to chemistry, and would be very glad if some more experienced guys could tell me what problems they see with the ideas.

Best regards!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!