We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Psychoactive Animals! Options

'Coatl
#1 Posted : 11/8/2009 9:13:50 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Below is a list of animals which are psychoactive for humans (instead of animals which use psychoactives).

Psychoactive Animals-

Reptiles-

Ophiophagus hannah ~ "King Cobra"
Naja naja ~ "Indian Cobra"
Phyllomedusa bicolor ~ “Sapo Frog” or “Kambo”
Bufo alvarius ~ “Colorado River Toad” or “Sonoran Desert Toad”
Hyla species ~ "?"
Leptodactylus species ~ "?"
Rana species ~ "?"
Salamandra salamandra ~ "Fire Salamander"

Marine Life-

Kyphosus fuscus ~ "fish
Sarpa Salpa ~ "fish
Abudefduf septemfasciatus ~ "Sergeant Magor"
Epinephelus corallicola ~ "Grouperfish"
Kyphosus cinerascens ~ "Bluefish"
Kyphosus vaigiensis ~ "Brass Breamfish"
Mugil cephalus ~ "Flathead mullet"
Mulloidichtys samoensis ~ "Golden Goatfish
Neomyxus chaptali ~ "Mullet Fish"
Saganus oramin ~ "Rabbitfish"
Upeneus arge ~ "Goatfish"

Insects-

Cantharis vesicatoria ~ "Spanish Fly"
Apis mellifera ~ "Honey Bee"
Floria species ~ "Coca larve/moth"

Other Animals (Other Organic Non-Botanical Psychoactives)-

Aztec Psychoactive Bird ~ "Oconenetl"
Giraffe ~ "Umm Nyolokh" (Liver and Bone)

Some interesting notes about Psychoactive Animals-

Quote:
The frog is a powerful and widespread symbol of intoxication in numerous native societies in South America.

Quote:
The crystallized venom of Cobras is often mixed with cannabis and then smoked by Holy Men in India.

Quote:
After killing a giraffe the hunters make camp and prepare a drink called umm nyolokh from its liver and bone marrow.
The hunters say that the making of this drink is the main reason for hunting the giraffe.
"it is said that a person, once he has drunk umm nyolokh, will return to giraffe again and again"
Humr, being Mahdists, are strict abstainers and a Humrawi is never drunk (sakran) on liquor or beer. But he uses this word to describe the effects which umm nyolokh has upon him.'
After drinking it, dreams of giraffes are commonly reported and Cunnison said that he actually heard a man wake up shortly after drinking it shouting 'giraffe on your left'. Waking hallucinations experienced under the influence of the drink also typically involve giraffes.

Quote:

Stories of psychotropic birds are extremely rare. A sixteenth century account of the Aztecs by Diego Munoz Camargo describes how eating the flesh of the bird named oconenetl induces visions. It is not known to which kind of bird this refers, beyond the description of it as being fed and black.
It is possible that either the bird itself produced a psychoactive substance or it ingested the drug from a plant source.
Batrachotoxins (i.e. amphibian poisons) have been recently discovered in the feathers and skin of South American birds of the genus Pitohui Richard Schultes has reported that the bones of a certain bird that ate the fruits of a plant that was used as an additive to ayahuasca were known to be poisonous to dogs.

Quote:
The Amahuaca people of the Peruvian Amazon are reported to use the poison from a frog (Phyllomedusa bicolor) to induce states of trance. The poison is rubbed into self-inflicted burns and believed to allow the hunters to communicate with animal spirits.

Quote:
Ratsch has suggested that the yellow stingray (Urolophus jamaicensis) was used for its inebriating and aphrodisiac venom in pre-Columbian times by the Maya.

Links-

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/var004.htm
http://www.erowid.org/animals/bee/bee_info1.shtml
http://www.drugs-forum.c...m/showthread.php?t=75139
http://www.salviasource....-names-of-psychoactives/
http://www.erowid.org/animals/toads/toads.shtml

WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Jorkest
#2 Posted : 11/8/2009 9:20:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

you can get sapo from icaro dna
it's a sound

۩
#3 Posted : 11/8/2009 9:24:56 PM

could you go into the details of some of these?

I wonder if cobras spit spice?

'Coatl
#4 Posted : 11/11/2009 8:17:43 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
id like to please add bufo marinus to the list i know its somwhat debated on this forum but ive personally had success with this species.

It's not used traditionally anywhere so I'd prefer not to add that to the list... unless you have proof that is was used traditionally by some culture?

Quote:
can anyone from Oz remember the name of the fish off norfolk island that induces lucid dreams (cant remember wether it was disscussed here or on another forum?)

and possibly the humble centerpede some animal from the amazon use em to get lit, they appear numerous times in literature, and from what ive been told a bite causes extreame swelling/delerium/and colour halucinations.

I really like to hear more about both of those! Can you get me species names?

There is some type of "Bamboo grub" or something that makes you trip if you eat the "intestines"... anybody remember that?

Link me if so!

Quote:
A species of duck lives in the swamps and lagoons near Mazatlan. Their meat is said to be poisonous, and eating it has been known to produce symptoms of having been poisoned or drugged. This was long a mystery, but now it is known to be due to Datura poisoning. The ducks eat the leaves and seeds of Datura ceratocaula, and their flesh contains a toxic level of poison from this diet.

Could this be "Oconenetl"?! Could this be the fabled psychoactive bird spoke of by the ancient Aztecs?!

Quote:
A sixteenth century account of the Aztecs by Diego Munoz Camargo describes how eating the flesh of the bird named oconenetl induces visions. It is not known to which kind of bird this refers, beyond the description of it as being fed and black.

Perhaps these are the birds of legend! (I can't find a species name for the "ducks" of Mazatlan which eat Datura).

Here is another interesting report from the land down under-

Quote:
There is a snake that is caught up in northern qld and used as a substitute for alcohol by some aboriginals. They catch a heap of them, put them in a bucket or bin, and then proceed to get bitten. Each snake has 2 good bites and then it is let go. Guys can sit around for a few hours getting bitten. THe effects are said to be much like alcohol without the sickness. I'm not going to put the name as i don't want to write the wrong thing and have someone die.

Most interesting!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

Hvalfangeren
#5 Posted : 10/12/2011 12:05:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

To add:

Phyllomedusa bicolor ~ “Sapo Frog” or “Kamboo”
said to have an opiat peptoid 100 times stronger than Morfin (Source; quote from Hamiltons Pharacopeia)
Personally I knew a dude that used to have Kamboo sessions back in my hometown. It is mainly used for "purification of the body", purging old bad energy, I never joined a session but my roomate at the time did many times and it helped him alot (bad childhood). So it is close to never used directly as a intoxicant, it is its healing properties its used for.

Marine:
Acanthurus sandvicensis (source; unknown) -fish
Sedative seasponges

Insects:
Myelobia smerintha, the coca larve; localy called "Bicho de tacuara". Eastern Brazil to Portugal.
Narcotic Chinese silkworms (?)
Hallucinogenic catterpillars (?)

hypnotic draft bone marrow of sudan (this is the giraff-thingy?)

edit:

"Batrachotoxins (i.e. amphibian poisons) have been recently discovered in the feathers and skin of South American birds of the genus Pitohui"
Trolls flow on within you and without you

joedirt
#6 Posted : 10/12/2011 12:07:06 AM

Not I

In other news I hear if you eat an entire human lung you can get off on DMT!

j/k

In a more serious font... does anyone else find it somewhat wrong to use animals for this purpose? Is it really any different than factory farming? Just asking the question...not condemning by any stretch.

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

Hvalfangeren
#7 Posted : 10/12/2011 12:43:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

joedirt wrote:
In other news I hear if you eat an entire human lung you can get off on DMT!

j/k

In a more serious font... does anyone else find it somewhat wrong to use animals for this purpose? Is it really any different than factory farming? Just asking the question...not condemning by any stretch.

Moral is only an obstacle in my world. Something socialy invented that put limits on ideas.
Consuption is consuption, either its vegan or carnivorous.

But, I do think that if it were to come to an factorysation of say f.ex. DMT-toads. You would feel a difference from factory-toads to nature-toads. In the same way that meat from the factory-lane sucks compared to "real" meat.

Hvalfangeren
#8 Posted : 10/12/2011 12:44:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The potent hallucinogens DMT and 5-MeO-DMT that are found in a number of psychoactive plants also occur in various mammals and in the cerebrospinal fluid of human beings. Scientific studies have found that the quantities of these psychoactive substances seem to be slightly higher in schizophrenic patients than in control groups of 'normal' subjects.
However, these differences are marginal and no simple conclusions regarding a direct link between these substances and schizophrenic disorders can be made; 5-MeO-DMT has also been reported as being present in the blood of some schizophrenics. A story by the American writer Terry Southern called The Blood of a Wig is about a man who, in search of a new drug 'kick', consumes the blood of a schizophrenic.
Whether Southern was aware of the scientific literature on this topic is unclear but the presence of DMT suggests that his bizarre story may not be pure fiction. That such hallucinogens can be made endogenously in the human organism suggests that the ancient alchemical quest for internal elixirs may have involved the stimulation of such substances to achieve altered states of consciousness without introducing chemicals from outside the body.

nen888
#9 Posted : 10/14/2011 7:35:25 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..many butterflies of the genus Heliconius, which graze primarily on Passiflora spp., contain harmala alkaloids and other betacarbolines..will dig up some references soon...
(here's a few, not sure if they the 'flying-ayahusca' kindSmile )
nen888 attached the following image(s):
h. doris_.JPG (15kb) downloaded 321 time(s).
img_3636_2.5evwwzd2rwwsckwgogg4g0s8s.27ty3bfoxo9wgcowoccowg1kg.JPG (10kb) downloaded 321 time(s).
heliconius2.JPG (13kb) downloaded 323 time(s).

nen888
#10 Posted : 10/15/2011 4:17:09 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..the butterfly reference is:

Cavin, J.C. & Rodriguez, E. 1988 "High performance liquid chromatographic identification of simple ß-carboline alkaloids in specimens of Helliconiini butterflies." Journal of Chromatography 447: 432-5

they found harman, harmine, nor-harman, harmaline & 6-Meo-harman in a number of heliconius butterflies..
they are known to feed on over 20 species of Passiflora..

..Sea-sponges (also animals)..a few carribean kinds contain 5,6-dibromo-DMT (with 'anti-depressant' effects in mice and fowl) and 5-bromo-DMT, said to be 'sedative' in above animals, but, as Seraph comments in 5,6-dibromo-N,N-DMT - the 'undersea' equation...
Quote:
'while 5-bromo-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (2) caused significant reduction of locomotor activity indicative of a potential sedative action'

I think that indicates that 5-Br-DMT is a hallucinogenic similar to DMT, I think the reason it wasn't moving much was that is was tripping.

..........................................................................................................................................................

ps. Hvalfangeren, while yes "consumption is consumption", symbiosis and altruism are also important biological factors in maintaining balance in nature...
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Only through compassion can we become at one with the force...
[Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jin to Yoda]

nen888
#11 Posted : 10/19/2011 3:28:32 AM
member for the trees

..hey animal freaks, where've you all gone?

S. Voogelbreinder (2009) writes of the fish Acanthurus, Kyphosus, Mugil, Neomyxus, Siganus and others
[Garden Of Eden p. 71-2]

Quote:
These fish all colloquially referred to as 'weke' or 'dreamfish',
have been implicated in a condition known to medics as 'ichthyoallyeinotoxism',
or more simply, 'halluncinatory mullet poisoning'. This phenomenon has occasionally
been noted in some areas of Hawaii and Norfolk Island [near Australia], as well as
the Indean Ocean, and the Mediterranean...

the Norfolk Island Dreamfish (A. fuscus) is reported (Stafford) as containing 5-methoxyDMT, but Ott couldn't
find the supporting chemical evidence..the hallucinatory effects, however, have been confirmed and
documented a few times [see Roughley 1960 National Geographic article]..

ps. i find animal entheogens fascinating from a cross-species neurochemical perspective, rather than a
utilitarian one..
though, i do eat fish..

ps brings new depth of meaning to the australian colloquialism "stoned as a mullet"..Smile

SKA
#12 Posted : 2/23/2012 4:13:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I was just thinking about the Giraffe-drink from liver & bonemarrow...

I just remembered that Giraffes eat Acacia leafs all day every day. Tons of acacia leafs.
So the actives in the liver & bonemarrow might very well be an accumilation of DMT, NMT,
Tryptamine and perhaps novel, unique Tryptamine compounds made by enzymes in the Giraffe's
Liver & bonemarrow?

nen888
#13 Posted : 4/19/2012 10:21:13 AM
member for the trees

..while researching 'flying ayahuasca', i came across studies finding betacarbolines in fluorescent scorpions..!
from http://www.isopoda.net/photo-st...41-fluorescent-scorpions:
Quote:
Scorpions shine in ultra-violet (UV) light. They are the only creature to do so. Researchers can find them in the dark UV light because they look like jewels when lit.
The mechanism is still not completely clear but involves beta-carboline molecules, studied because they could be useful in healing some eye diseases in humans. This adaptation can shield scorpion from noxious UV radiation typical of deserts.

..i found this fascinating on a few levels..
ps. i love giraffes..i couldn't participate in giraffe slaughter, no matter how interesting the compounds..
nen888 attached the following image(s):
Androctonus australis under UV light.jpg (295kb) downloaded 205 time(s).

jamie
#14 Posted : 4/19/2012 5:20:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

we have those scorpions here..well not on the coast where I am but 4 hours inland or so. I remember going camping when I was a kid in the interior all the time where it gets so dry and at night you could go along the shore of the lake with a black light and see all lots of glowing emperor scorpions..There was some park ranger who gave some talk about them and then took us out with the black light to show us..
Long live the unwoke.

Nicita
#15 Posted : 6/14/2012 1:20:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You forgot:
Tetraodontidae spec. - several blowfish species containing tetrodotoxin (TTX)
Example: Fugufish, in Japan used a an intoxicating meal with an arousing rush. May deadly if wrong dose is ingested.

Also potentially:
Hapalochlaena - Blue ringed octopus
Also containig TTX, but I know of no consum of this species.