We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Greetings! Options

Viritrilbia
#1 Posted : 10/10/2011 1:57:27 PM

Auta i lome...

I've only been interested in psychotropes for about two years now. It simply wasn't on my radar when I was growing up. In fact, I've been a straight-laced goodie-two-shoes most of my life. I never so much as touched alcohol to my lips until after my 21st birthday; never held a cigarette; never knew MJ could even be found in my area. (Actually, I finally tried the latter just last month.) It's been a slow process, but my former legalism and modernist philosophy has given way to a more liberal, mystical understanding of myself and the universe. (I've stuck with Christianity, though, albeit from an existentialist perspective a la Paul Tillich.) However, I still have a terrible track record when it comes to participating in community, despite the amazing potential of the Internet in this regard. Please pardon my exhuberence, but I'd like to post an overview of my journey thus far. I tend to go around sharing my life with everyone who will listen, and now that I've adopted this "rebellious" streak it's important to find a more anonymous outlet!

Three or four years ago, I started to develop an interest in foraging for wild edible plants. Eventually, I found myself trying to identify every weed I came across, which introduced me to the toxic, psychoactive, and medical properties of plants, in addition to their nutritional value. This gradually led to a broader interest in botany and organic chemistry, and a growing fascination with entheogenic drugs. My first non-culinary use of foraged material was an attempt at brewing the ceremonial black drink of the Cherokee from yaupon holly leaves (apparently without success, as it failed to produce a noticeable caffeine buzz).

My next step on the path of translating mere academic interest into action was prompted by the discovery a fly agaric (Amanita muscaria var. guessowii?) growing wild in a local field. I collected the cap and kept it in the fridge for a few days, making absolutely sure of my identification, and psyching myself up to really go ahead and eat it. Finally I just said to Hell with the uncertainties and wolfed the whole thing down in a fit of spontaneity. All it did was make me throw up half an hour later. Of course, I now realize that North American fly agarics are not known for their potency, and I should have roasted the cap to convert any ibotenic acid into muscimol.

This prompted me to make good on my research and buy a number of legal ethnobotanicals on-line. However, my next step turned out to be quite a bit larger than anticipated... I was at a friend's house, excitedly rhapsodizing about my new interest, and he mentioned he had some fortified salvia lying around. It took a while to convince me, but in the end I did consent to take one pull of smoke. I'm sure many of you are much more familiar with salvia than I am... Suffice it to say that I was utterly overwhelmed, clinging like a drowning man to every last shred of my dissolving ego. I'm glad my friend was there to talk with afterward. The ordeal left me shaken, and not overeager to make a habit out of it, but still firmly interested in continuing to look into these matters.

I won't bore you with a synopsis of my entire "altered states" diary. In brief, I dabbled with various low-level experimentals for a while (sun-opener, lion's tail, calamus, lotus, California poppy) and even a couple of specimens that were merely related to purported psychotropes (periwinkle, magnolia, ruffle lichen). I never had much success with any of them, with the exception of sun-opener, and I now realize that was only due to interaction with the anti-depressants I was taking at the time. For some reason, I thought SSRIs were only incompatible with MAOIs and certain strong hallucinogens, leaving me free experiment with other substances, even while maintaining the regime. Of course, this was a naive misapprehension of the processes involved.

Anyway, I was getting impatient with these unimpressive results, but the SSRI issue precluded me from considering ayahuasca, DMT and similar "holy grail" entheogens. So I veered in what most of you will probably say was the wrong direction: alcohol, nitrous oxide, synthetic cannabinoids and kratom. In my folly, I even resorted to consuming a brugmansia flower (not a deliriant dose, but still very unpleasant) and a bottle of Tussin gelcaps (also nothing I plan to revisit any time soon). These were all perfectly legal to acquire (although not necessarily to consume), and certainly rank among the most powerful substances I've ever used. It's clear to me now that this was a low period in my psychonautic career - one that could have devolved into a very bad situation. I guess it might actually have been preferable to get such nonsense out of the way when I was younger. At least I allowed my brain to develop normally...

Okay, fast-forward to the present. It's been almost two years since that first fly agaric assay, and I'm still very much a newbie, without only a handful of significant experiences under my belt. After a long time in the wilderness, alcohol and cannabinoids finally seem to be losing their charm. Of course, I wisened up long ago about the anti-depressants. It quickly became obvious that I could only choose one route to psychological integration, and I chose entheogens. This may have been the wrong decision, since I keep wrestling with OCD and depression, but the SSRIs didn't seem to help with that either. It's time for me to stop holding onto excuses, and move on to pursuing the true hallucinogenic medicines: ayahuasca and DMT. If those don't help, I guess I really should just scrap the whole idea and go back to psychiatric meds. From the tiny glimpses I've seen so far, through lesser substances, I'm convinced it might still be worth my while to find out.

Well, thanks for bearing with me! I do have a quick question for the more experienced psychonauts out there: As I just mentioned, I've been working through a long history of psychological maladjustment - nothing too debilitating, mind you, but I'm definitely rather prone to neuroticism. This is one reason I've kept up an interest in alcohol, even after discovering the hallucinogens; it gives me a measure of mental tranquility, whereas the cannabinoids launch me into an exhausting orgy of philosophical angst and paranoia, and I have enough of that to deal with while sober! Simply put, I have a very hard time with letting go. Can I expect ayahuasca to force the issue, kicking me out of the nest in a potentially liberating way, or am is it more likely to send me on a horror trip of insurmountable anxieties and ego-jealousy? This is pretty much my main motivation in continuing to pursue the entheogens. I need to be driven past myself and this desperate, self-deluding need to be in control, but I can't seem to simply talk myself out of it. Would it be wiser to step back and develop some meditation skills first?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Enoon
#2 Posted : 10/11/2011 9:05:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

welcome Viritrilbia,

an interesting journey you've had so far Smile I'm glad your experiments did not lead you any further down the road of nightshades... especially already having mental problems, I would assume they would do more harm than good.

Since you mention OCD, take a look at the studies done with psilocybin mushrooms. You can google it and probably find some info on it, or check here: http://www.erowid.org/re...s/refs_view.php?ID=6735
or here: http://www.maps.org/news...ters/v12n2/12217rs.html
If you go to the maps site you can also see other research articles about different psychedelics trying to aid mental conditions or just simply making life better for the subjects. While I strongly believe that psychedelics have healing effects I also think it is very important to know what one is doing. Mushrooms can be very unforgiving for example if taken at the wrong time, and you might not know wrong from right time before they are in your blood.
I have had mushrooms help me with depressions once. And I have had them point out my depressions to me another time, making them apparent and undeniable - which was kind of painful at the time, but I suspect in the end it was a good thing. I have had them show me that there is nothing to fear, and I have had them make me fear for my life. I feel both extremes are part of the learning experience, but I have had many more good experiences before I had a few bad ones, so in a way I already knew my way around psychedelics. I would imagine having a really hard experience right away could be more difficult to gain from. So I suggest being very conscious of set and setting and all these little details before endeavoring in a trip. Mushrooms are truly a great teacher and if set and setting are good you will likely have a most wonderful and illuminating trip.

With Ayahuasca or DMT I'm not so sure. I have yet to have a bad trip when taking dmt orally. All the ones I've had were pure bliss and great teachings. vaporized however can be scary at times, but the briefness of the trip means you are not tormented for too long. more often though it's brilliant and wonderful and helpful, and the lessons it can teach us can be simple but oh-so profound.

Concerning neurotic needs to control, to an experienced psychonaut I would generally say - you need a high enough dose, and then you have no chance to hold on to control. I don't recommend this to you however, since you are, as you say yourself, not experienced. I assume Ayahuasca, again under the right set and setting, will relax you enough though so you won't be thinking about this kind of thing. A certain threshold dose is needed of course; anythign below that is more placebo than anything else, but for the beginning you should not try to go over board. You can enhance the alteration of your mind by making it into a ceremony, even if it's just you (+ a sitter maybe). Dim the lights, get some art out, maybe have a special day for preparation, music, special clothes even, etc.

If you want to experience true surrender, I recommend vaporized dmt. It's brief and will launch you out of your body, out of this world and show you things you never dreamed of. I'm not sure how helpful it is with your conditions specifically, but in the end I feel like it is less the tools you use and more the aim you have when you use them, that really elicits the change you are seeking. Your determination for healing, your choice to improve yourself, they are what gives these tools the ability to help you (IMHO).

I wish you the best.
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

nen888
#3 Posted : 10/15/2011 4:49:41 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..welcome Viritrilbia, Smile
your intro. was a very interesting read, thanks..
there's a thread here on Plant Based Anti-depressants that you might find interesting..the line between 'medication' and 'entheogen' can blur here..