We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
Plant based Anti-depressants Options

kyrolima
#21 Posted : 9/20/2011 12:13:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I got to test SAM-e - that's a very interesting supplement - not plant-based, but the chemical itself is found in almost every cell of the human body.
It improves mental health, good mood and less fatique.

If you suffer from arthritis, this might also be the drug for you!

I LOVE IT!!! Very happy

hahaha
elusive illusion

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

nen888
#22 Posted : 9/22/2011 3:40:34 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..well Kyrolima, if we're going to venture into non-plant anti-depressants Smile,
there's 5,6 dibromo-DMT from sea sponges, found to have anti-depressant effects in mice and fowl, but i don't know that i ethically approve of an animal-based medication..perhaps bromine could be fed to DMT producing plants to internally synthesize it, or some fungi 'll turn up that can do the conversion...

hey, thanks all contributors so far..Smile

Al Dimentiz
#23 Posted : 9/23/2011 9:30:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been taking sublingual doses of caapi harmalas (20-30mg) every night before bed for the last 2 months with great results!! not to mention all those vivid dreams that come up as a welcome side effect Razz
"The Medicine Will Always Be There For Those Who Seek It"

nen888
#24 Posted : 9/24/2011 9:16:29 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..that's quite a few recommendations for B. caapi so far..greatSmile
Al Dimentiz, when you say 20-30mg you mean extracted harmalas, yeah?
thanks for providing a dosage idea, need more of this info for all suggestions so far...

nen888
#25 Posted : 10/5/2011 5:46:53 AM
member for the trees

..found out some constituents of a couple of mentioned plants..

Albizzia julibrissin (Persian Silk Tree), with confirmed anti-depressant effects, contains serotonin & noripinephrine (Applewhite 1973).."I have read reports of individuals smoking the bark for..CNS effects." [S. Voogenbreinder in Garden Of Eden]

..and for the genus Magnolia - Aporphine alkaloids are common incl. nor-nuciferine, asimilobine, anonaine, glaucine, norglaucine, N,N-dimethyllindcarpine and others [see Garden of Eden p.226]..i have no idea exactly what these do, other than noting nuciferine is a blue lotus component, but they sure sound exotic...

corpus callosum
#26 Posted : 10/5/2011 7:03:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Good thread!

One thing I love about the Nexus is the breadth of knowledge we have between us.

Although we are talking about plant-based antidepressants, its still important to regard these as 'proper' medications insofar as these too can interact with prescribed treatments.

An example that springs to my mind is women taking St Johns Wort whist also being on the combined oral contraceptive pill; St Johns Wort can cause the pill to 'fail' and several women Ive come across have got pregnant as a result as they weren't aware of this (potentially depression-generating) interaction.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

pharoah21
#27 Posted : 10/7/2011 3:26:27 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I hear cocoa beans are also an antidepressant. Good for seretonin levels.........tastes a bit funny though

nen888
#28 Posted : 10/15/2011 4:40:37 AM
member for the trees

corpus callosum wrote
Quote:
One thing I love about the Nexus is the breadth of knowledge we have between us.

absolutely!, one of the strengths of the nex for me also.. (glad u like thread) Smile

so, gathering the collective knowledge, so far, in this thread, here's our
Plant Based Anti-depressant (& a few others) list:
(thanks to all contributors so far)

Plant:
Albizzia julibrissin ('Persian Silk Tree')
Banisteriopsis caapi ('ayahuasca') (micro dose)
Camilia sinuensis (green or black Tea)
Crocus sativus ('saffron')
Hypericum perforatum ('St. John's Wort')
Magnolia officinalis (& possibly other magnolias)
Melissa officinalis (lemon balm)
Mucuna pruriensis (mucuna bean)
Musa sapientum (banana, red varieties)
Nymphaea caerulea ('Blue Lotus')
Ocimum sanctum ('holy' or 'sacred basil')
Passiflora incarnata ('Passionflower')
Piper methysticum var. methysticum ('Kava')
Rhodolla rosea ('Golden Root')
Salvia divinorum ('Ska Maria Pastoria') (micro dose)
Salvia elegans ('Pinapple Sage')
Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna)
Spirulina spp. (see below)
Theobroma cocoa (cocoa)
Trichocereus pachanoi (San Pedro - micro dose)
Valeriana Officinalis
Withania somnifera ('ashwaganda')

Animal:
fish oil/omega3 (from eating algae?)
5,6 dibromo-DMT from sea-sponges

Synthetic:
SAM-e

Other:
Spirulina spp. (cyanobacterium or algae)
/algae
- Omega3s

..any more ideas/experiences nexians..?

ouro
#29 Posted : 10/15/2011 4:48:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good looking list. It's a bit nitpicky, but omega 3s generally come from algae (including spirulina) that the fish eat, making the EPA and DHA in fish plant based. Vegetarians can eat the algae directly for the same effect.

Also, there are many other synthetic antidepressants that actually do work well for some people.

SpartanII
#30 Posted : 10/15/2011 12:08:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome thread! I'm saving it to my computer.Very happy

I just received my order of caapi leaf and vine. I have a couple questions:

-Which part do I use for micro-dosing?

-Will making tea out of it work? How long should I boil it?

nen888
#31 Posted : 10/17/2011 5:52:30 AM
member for the trees

..thanks ouro, i've slightly adjusted the list..
but if fish also contain the oils by eating algae, could a fish diet not be a source also?

..i wanted to stay mainly plant based as, in my higher education days, i became suspicious of the side-effects of many prescribed synthetic SSRIs (such as loss of personality, or spontaneous suicidal or violent acts)
..this led me to initially research B. caapi & P. incarnata more, but i'm open to positive reports of synthetics (though the 'self-medication' gist of my first post makes synthetics seem more 'distant' to the nexian)

a word of warning on prescription SSRIs, in particular Prozac..
in an Entheogen Review 1995 response (thanks Entropymancer), chemist Jace Callaway stated (very briefly) that Harmine & Prozac could be a potentially lethal combination due to the re-uptake activity..so those wanting to take ayahusca or p. harmala & on prescription to prozac should cease this medication..

..finally, i would recommend for anxiety or 'nerviness', 2-3 cups (a few grams) of passionflower tea, or similar amount of smoking administration, per day..

so far, the most nexian recommendations have been for B. caapi micro-dosing daily,
followed maybe by cocoa beans..

ps. hi SpartanIISmile , stem or leaves should work for micro-dosing..probably boil 20-40mins..anyone here who's been using caapi this way have any tips..?

ouro
#32 Posted : 10/17/2011 6:49:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nen, the point I'm trying to make is that the good oils in fish aren't made by the fish, but the fish accumulate them by eating algae. You can eat a fish, or you can eat the algae as a supplement if you don't like eating living things with a well defined nervous system (exhibit a: http://www.amazon.com/De...lgae-Vcaps/dp/B000V8BD4S ). Spirulina is a common supplement that contains EPA and DHA among other fatty acids. I'm not sure exactly how rich a source they are. so, spirulina for example is a plant based source of omega 3s, which have pretty good evidence of anti depressant effects.

SpartanII
#33 Posted : 10/17/2011 9:42:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
. stem or leaves should work for micro-dosing..probably boil 20-40mins..anyone here who's been using caapi this way have any tips..?

So is there a difference in effect between vine and leaf? Thanks for your reply.Very happy

nen888
#34 Posted : 10/19/2011 3:50:46 AM
member for the trees

SpartanII wrote:
Quote:
So is there a difference in effect between vine and leaf?

..the leaves have different trace alkaloids to the stem, and are perhaps subjectively lighter in character, but are similar in effects & content to the stem (there is of course huge variability of the caapi plant and yields) ..the leaves were, i'm told, the basis of the original 'changa' mix..
..it's worth experimenting for yourself with the differences..
perhaps leaves are better suited to the purpose, and stem better kept for fully entheogenic brews..?

..thanks again ouro for your help with the thread..Smile
algae are not really plants or animals (sort of symbiotic colonies), but i admit to being a little ignorant of spirulina taxonomy..
the first time i ever had spirulina (late teens) a friend told me to take 10 concentrated tablets..on an empty stomach i found it very similar to the early effects (the 'come-on'Pleased of LSD, but staying at that level for 3-5hrs..maybe the brand was fortified, i don't know..i'm very sensitive to it and still find it a little 'trippy'..

ps. recent thread on anti-oxidants as anti-depressants here:https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/d...aspx?g=posts&t=25551

_

nen888
#35 Posted : 11/14/2011 8:07:27 AM
member for the trees

..found an interesting 2005 paper looking at anti-depressant and other action of Russian and Asian plants..

"Adaptogenic, geriatric, stimulant, and antidepressant plants of Russian Far East" Nazim Mamedov, Journal of Cell & Molecular Biology

it says:
Quote:

The main side effect of conventional antidepressant drugs is suicidal behaivior by children and teenagers. Using medicinal plants
for treatment of depression is a safe alternative to conventional drugs. Medicinal plants most widely used for depression around the
world are Centella asiatica (Apiaceae), Hypericum perforatum (Hyperiaceae), Rhodiola rosea (Crassulaceae), Pfaffia paniculata
(Amaranthaceae), Rauwolfia serpentina (Apocynaceae), Rhododendron molle (Ericaceae), Schizandra chin (Schizandraceae),
Thea sinensis (Theaceae), Uncaraia tome (Rubiaceae), Valeriana officinalis (Valerianaceae)
and Withania somnifera (Solanaceae)...

polytrip
#36 Posted : 11/14/2011 3:28:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
ouro wrote:
nen, the point I'm trying to make is that the good oils in fish aren't made by the fish, but the fish accumulate them by eating algae. You can eat a fish, or you can eat the algae as a supplement if you don't like eating living things with a well defined nervous system (exhibit a: http://www.amazon.com/De...lgae-Vcaps/dp/B000V8BD4S ). Spirulina is a common supplement that contains EPA and DHA among other fatty acids. I'm not sure exactly how rich a source they are. so, spirulina for example is a plant based source of omega 3s, which have pretty good evidence of anti depressant effects.

Spirulina definately has a mood enhancing effect. It works immediately, contrary to most anti-depressants that take a few weeks before effects kick-in.

nen888
#37 Posted : 11/14/2011 3:40:40 PM
member for the trees

..thanks polytrip for that info. (& thanks ouro again) ..yeah, as i said i find spirulina quite trippy..Smile

the most immediate and consistently effective mood-enhancer/anti-anxiety medication i personally know of is Passionflower (as tea, or smoked)
..also good for nicotine-withdrawl moods..

nen888
#38 Posted : 11/29/2011 11:21:22 PM
member for the trees

..some plant Flavonoids are demonstrated to have anti-depressant, anxiolytic and sedative effects via mono-amine oxidase inhibition or GABA-A-benzodiazepine activity [Jager & Saaby 2011], so a few more species could be added to this discussion..[see https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/d...aspx?g=posts&t=26892 post#11 for more info. on these flavonoids]

Plants containing Flavonoids with MAOI activity:

Calluna vulgaris (heather) (Ericaceae)
Gingko biloba
Fragaria × ananassa (strawberries)
Passiflora caerulea
Passiflora incarnata
Matricaria retutica (camomile)
Melastoma candidum
Mentha aquatica,
Citrus (oranges)
Sersia dentata (Anacardiaceae)
Sophora flavescens
Tanacetum parthenium (feverfew)
Tilia americana var. mexicana (linden flowers)
Uncaria rhynchophylla (Rubiaceae)

Plants containing flavonoids with GABA-A-benzodiazepine affinity:

Artemisia herba-alba (Asteraceae)
Matricaria retutica
Passiflora caerulea
Passiflora incarnata
Sersia dentata (Anacardiaceae)
Sersia pyroides (Anacardiaceae)
Tanacetum parthenium
Scuttelaria baicalensis

Refs:
1. Viola, H.; Wasowski, C.; Destein, M.L.; Wolfman, C.; Silveira, R.; Dajas, F.; Medina, J.H.; Paladini, A.C.
"Apigenin, a component of matricaria recutita flowers, is a central benzodiazepine receptors ligand with anxiolytic effects." Planta Med. 1995, 61, 213-216.
2. Aguirre-Hernandez, E.; Gonzalez-Trujano, M.E.; Martinez, A.L.; Moreno, J.; Kite, G.; Terrazas, T.; Soto-Hernandez, M. "HPLC/MS analysis and anxiolytic-like effect of quercetin and kaempferol flavonoids from Tilia americana var. mexicana." J. Ethnopharmacol. 2010, 127, 91-97.
3. Wolfman, C.; Viola, H.; Paladini, A.; Dajas, F.; Medina, J.H." Possible anxiolytic effects of chrysin, a central benzodiazepine receptor ligand isolated from Passiflora caerulea." Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 1994, 47, 1-4.
4. Sloley, B.D.; Urichuk, L.J.; Morley, P.; Durkin, J.; Shan, J.J.; Pang, P.K.T.; Coutts, R.T.
"Identification of kaempferol as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor and potential neuroprotectant in extracts of Ginkgo biloba leaves. "J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 2000, 52, 451-459.
5. Chimenti, F.; Cottiglia, F.; Bonsignore, L.; Casu, L.; Casu, M.; Floris, C.; Secci, D.; Bolasco, A.; Chimenti, P.; Granese, A.; Befani, O.; Turini, P.; Alcaro, S.; Ortuso, F.; Trombetta, G.; Loizzo, A.; Guarino, I.
"Quercetin as the active principle of Hypericum hircinum exerts a selective inhibitory activity against MAO-A: Extraction, biological analysis, and computational study." J. Nat. Prod. 2006, 69, 945-949.
6. Hwang, J.S.; Lee, S.A.; Hong, S.S.; Lee, K.S.; Lee, M.K.; Hwang, B.Y.; Ro, J.S.
"Monoamine oxidase inhibitory components from the roots of Sophora flavescens." Arch. Pharmacal. Res. 2005, 28, 190-194.
7. Olsen, H.T.; Stafford, G.I.; van Staden, J.; Christensen, S.B.; Jager, A.K. "Isolation of the MAO-inhibitor naringenin from Mentha aquatica L." J. Ethnopharmacol. 2008, 117, 500-502.

ablaubla
#39 Posted : 12/23/2011 12:09:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Excellent thread nen, years and years of researching in just two pages.

I m a little dissapointed though my favorite number one is not in the list:

Valeriane Valeriana Officinalis, natural antistress and antidepressant used for sleeping disorders, restlessness and anxiety, and as a muscle relaxant..
Miraculous in daily doses before sleep and.. sweet dreams! Awful taste though, should be boiled with cinnamon.

nen888
#40 Posted : 12/23/2011 12:30:46 PM
member for the trees

..thank you ablaubla for bringing attention to this oversight Smile
the list was based on nexians' contributions so far, and i have updated it accordingly..

PREV1234NEXT»