We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Shulgin Index and Trout's Simple Tryptamines Review (+ links for purchase) Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 9/21/2011 2:56:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

EDIT: REVIEW A COUPLE OF POSTS DOWN

Several places are giving nice discounts on the Shulgin book.

For USA people, amazon has it for 53 dollars, I dont know about shipping though. Amazon.es has the cheapest, and uk also has some cheap offers

I REALLY want to buy this but I just got Trout's simple tryptamines, maybe I'll wait till next month or I wont have money for electricity bill lol. Support the old man (and also make AlbertKLloyd a happy beaver) Very happy

EDIT2 : REVIEW FURTHER DOWN

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Entropymancer
#2 Posted : 9/21/2011 3:19:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

endlessness wrote:
I REALLY want to buy this but I just got Trout's simple tryptamines, maybe I'll wait till next month

Sounds like you and me are in the exact same boat Laughing

endlessness
#3 Posted : 9/22/2011 3:53:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Seems they just reverted back to the old price, 70 euros, maybe many nexians bought it there?

In any case amazon still has it cheap. Amazon.com has quite cheap compared to old price (53 dollars), amazon.es has also cheap (44e), amazon.uk has some good offers, not from the main website but if you click the other offers that associated vendors have.

Anyways I am gonna survive the next weeks struggling with the bills but I just bought the Index, used the opportunity that its good price at amazon. Ill post a review here once it comes and I take a look

endlessness
#4 Posted : 9/27/2011 3:57:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Review:

So let me start by saying this: If you are not a chemist, working with analytical chemistry or synthesis, and if you dont have access to scientific journals, this book is most likely not for you. It is not a book to 'read', it is a reference book about the chemistry of the compounds.

The first, main part of the book is called "Main Entry Compounds". It is a collection of information of the hundreds of different substances, with subsections such as "Registry Numbers; Natural Sources; Synthesis and chemistry; Homologues and Analogues [with clean-looking tables to see the analogues with the modification in each position]; Biochemistry). Unlike PIHKAL where a lot of the information was extended, this is more a resume of the info with a pointer to the appropriate thorough reference. For example while in PIHKAL there was the thorough information for synthesis of mescaline with all the instructions and steps, here it will be summed up and referenced, like:

Quote:
From 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde (with nitromethane) to 3,4,5-trimethoxyethene; (with LAH) to mescaline (Erne and Ramirez, 1950; Shulgin, 1963)

In fact, a lot of the information in this book is like this, summed up and referenced, which is an advantage and disadvantage at the same time. It gives direct directions where you will find more info, but several of these references will be very hard to dig up, which will leave you short on the information.

After the main part we have a section with table of the different substitutions of the alkaloids and analogues, a section with website for checking out different state laws regarding these substances, CAS numbering index and then a section which to me seems to be one of the most notable contributions of this book: Mass spectra of the different alkaloids. So you have a neatly organized GC-MS mass spectra graph for all these different substances, great for those working with analysis.

So this is it. Get it if you're a chemist who wants more info, dont get it if you're a normal psychonaut, at least thats my opinion.

While we're at it I am posting a few of the references im really interested in which I cannot get access too, so if anybody can find it, please post it here:

Shimamine M. (1984) A new high performance liquid chromatographic method of phenethylamines and amphetamines using fluorescamine. Nippon Hoigaku Zasshi 38(2): 206-217 (In japanese)

Shimamine, M. Takahashi, K. Nakahara, Y. (1990) Studies on the identification of psychoactive substances. VII. Preparation and various analytical data of standard references of some hallucinogens, 3,4-methylendioxyamphetamine, 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) and 5-methoxy-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MMDA). Eisei Shikenjo Hลkoku. (108 ): 118-125. (In japanese)

Kappe, T., Armstrong, M.D. (1965) Ultraviolet absorption spectra and apparent acidic dissociation constants of some phenolic amines. J. Med. Chem. 8( 3 ): 368-374

Bussey, R.J., Backer, R.C. (1974( Thin-layer chromatographic differentiation of amphetamine from other primary-amine drugs in urine. Clin. Chem. 20(2):302-304

Cashman, P.J., Thornton, J.I., Shelman, D.L. (1973) High pressure liquid chromatographic separation of phenethylamines of forensic interest. J. Chrom. Sci. 11(1):7-9.

Chan, M.L., Whetsell, C., McChesney, J.D. (1974) Use of high pressure liquid chromatography for separation of drugs of abuse. J. Chrom. Sci. 12(9): 512-516

Ono, M. Shimamine, M., Takahashi, K. (1976) Studies on hallucinogens. X. Identification of phenethylamine and its derivatives. Eisei Shikensho Hokoku (94): 46-53 (In japanese)

Neuninger, H. (1987) Detection and identification of phenethylamines (stimulants and hallucinogens). Scientia Pharmaceutica 55(1):1-11

SnozzleBerry
#5 Posted : 9/28/2011 10:47:06 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

There were a bunch I couldn't get access to. My life is a whirlwind of political activity currently, but when I get a chance, I will be contacting my library to see if they can't send me the articles that weren't available directly to me.

The last article is one you didn't request but seemed sort of relevant given some of the other titles, perhaps it's of some merit, if not hopefully it's interesting, if not, oh well Razz

edit: hmmmm...the last article won't save so I can't upload it...if it comes through I will post it

EDIT: here ya go
Wiki โ€ข Attitude โ€ข FAQ
The Nexian โ€ข Nexus Research โ€ข The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
ื’ื ื–ื” ื™ืขื‘ื•ืจ

endlessness
#6 Posted : 9/28/2011 10:50:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a bunch snozz!!!! Its all def of great interest, also the last one Smile

justine
#7 Posted : 9/28/2011 11:05:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the review endlessness, by the way a review of Trout's Some simple tryptamines would be much appreciated since
informations on this book are very scarce to say the least!
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

a1pha
#8 Posted : 9/28/2011 11:06:44 PM
โจ€

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Snozz ftw!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

endlessness
#9 Posted : 9/28/2011 11:21:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

justine wrote:
Thanks for the review endlessness, by the way a review of Trout's Some simple tryptamines would be much appreciated since
informations on this book are very scarce to say the least!

Alright justine, once I have it in my hands I will review it (I sent an email asking for tracking/shipping info but no news yet.. )

Entropymancer
#10 Posted : 9/29/2011 1:19:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I recently received my copy of Some Simple Tryptamines, so I'll take a stab at reviewing it. It's basically a reference book for a fairly limited audience. Pretty thorough and useful in its way, but only if you're really into chemistry, or really interested in which plants (and animals) these particular tryptamines have been found in.

The first section covers the chemistry of several tryptamines. Each section contains as much of the following information as is applicabe: Synonyms; registry numbers (CAS); molecular weight; melting points of free base and salts; references to assays for the presence of the compound; TLC and paper chromatography Rf values with a variety of solvent systems; references for HPLC, GC, MS, and IR data (but not the data itself); UV ฮปmax values; references for synthesis; reported occurrence in plants and animals; activity; very brief summary of pharmacological data. The compounds covered are as follows:

Tryptamines without ring substitutions
  • Gramine
  • Tryptamine
  • N-methyltrytamine
  • N,N-dimethyltryptamine
  • DMT-metho cation (i.e. N,N,N-trimethyltryptamonium cation)
  • DMT-N-oxide
  • DET
  • DPT
  • Lespedamine (1-MeO-DMT)

4- substituted indoles
  • 4-hydroxyindole
  • 4-acetoxyindole
  • 4-chloro-indole acetic acid methyl ester
  • 4-hydroxytryptophan
  • 4-hydroxytryptamine
  • Norbaeocystin
  • 4-hydroxy-NMT
  • Baeocystin
  • Psilocin
  • 4-MeO-DMT
  • 4-AcO-DMT
  • Psilocybin
  • Aeruginascin
  • 1-methylpsilocybin
  • CZ 74 (4-HO-DET)
  • 4-AcO-DET
  • CEY 19 (4-phosphoryloxy-DET)

5- substituted tryptamines
  • 5-bromotryptamine
  • 5,6-dibromotryptamine
  • 5,6-dibromo-NMT
  • 5-bromo-DMT
  • 5,6-dibromo-DMT
  • Serotonin
  • 5-HO-NMT
  • Bufotenine
  • Bufotenine-N-oxide
  • Bufotenidine
  • Bufoviridine
  • Bufothionine
  • Dehydrobufotenine
  • 5-MeO-tryptamine
  • 5-MeO-NMT
  • 5-MeO-DMT
  • 5-MeO-DMT-N-oxide
  • O-methyl-nordehydrobufotenine

The next section covers colorimetric reagent assays for identifying the compounds, goes into greater detail on TLC assays, and has information about extracting compounds from plants. Oh, and there's some info on doing hotknives and making a crackpipe out of a lightbulb. And at the end, there's a nice big bibliography for all the articles referenced or quoted in the text.

In summary: It's got loads of information, but be aware that it is a reference book, not designed for casual reading. Unless you're really into chemistry or plant research, it's the sort of book that I'd ordinarily recommend going to the library to consult rather than owning a copy... but according to WorldCat, not a single library in the world owns it, which means buying it is your only option.

benzyme
#11 Posted : 9/29/2011 3:25:50 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

where may the chemically-inclined obtain said reference?
UV ฮปmax values sounds very useful for colorimetric determination of conc. in sol'n.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Entropymancer
#12 Posted : 9/29/2011 3:45:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Entheogen Review carries the book for $50 (http://www.entheogenreview.com/somesimpletrypta.html), and on abebooks.com it looks like there are a few copies for $48.50

Also, be aware that in appearance, it's nowhere near as professional-looking as an ordinary reference book. Soft-cover, with bright trippy graphics on the cover and goofy fonts on the cover and title page... leaves something to be desired. But the information and references contained inside are solid.

endlessness
#13 Posted : 9/29/2011 7:51:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the review Entropymancer! where did you get it from if I may ask? I bought it from http://www.spiritgarden.co.uk , and it costed 46.50e with shipping included.

Apparently they dont have it in stock, so Trout himself will be the one sending. Though I bought it 8 days ago and send an email asking about if it was already shipped and if there is tracking, and they said they would ask the author and didnt get back to me yet... Hope it doesnt take so long.

Entropymancer
#14 Posted : 9/29/2011 8:17:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When I bought it, I couldn't find any places that sold it and didn't think to check abebooks.com. I ended up emailing Trout to see if I could purchase from him directly. He was very prompt, shipped it out the next business day.

a1pha
#15 Posted : 9/29/2011 8:19:29 AM
โจ€

Entropymancer wrote:
I ended up emailing Trout to see if I could purchase from him directly. He was very prompt, shipped it out the next business day.

That's nice to hear. I think I'll do the same...

AlbertKLloyd
#16 Posted : 10/6/2011 2:55:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Totally accurate reviews.

I like SST as a research aid and a reference book.
It is not for people looking for trip reports or publicity pieces, but it is very useful for some people.
If you want to isolate and purify a tryptamine, use a reagent to indicate it, or check your melting points then it is a great resource.

All of Trouts notes are just that, compiled notes made by Trout about psychedelic research and publications. You can learn stuff from them you can't find anywhere else. they are drug geek books, for the nerdy and scholarly, virtually useless for entertainment value.

a1pha
#17 Posted : 10/6/2011 5:14:10 AM
โจ€

Zip wrote:
These were annoying to get, but I've benefited from endlessness' posts endlessly, so...

You rock. Thanks for those.

endlessness
#18 Posted : 10/6/2011 8:25:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So Trout's SST arrived yesterday, and I love it! Entropymancer already described most of it.. One thing I'd like to add is that its a beautiful book (and much wider/bigger than I imagined), with different colored images throughout the book. I would ask trout, though, that it would be cool if there were molecular structure images on each of the substances, I think would add to the book.

I agree with what Entropy and Albert said, its more a nerdy/chem-info book, not really for entertainment.

btw, small trivia, this famous erowid pic of "ultra-pure dmt crystal", which says its from an anonymous source, on the book it claims to be from Nick Sand Smile
http://www.erowid.org/ch...p?i=dmt/dmt_crystal1.jpg

Oh zip, thank you very very much!!