We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Possible good premade pressure-filtration device Options

Analogue
#1 Posted : 9/2/2011 3:29:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok, so i know there are many options out there for filtration, but i recently came across a simple expresso maker ( http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm - makes great coffee btw and is around 25$) that could easily be used for small-medium extractions/slurrys that need to be filtered by pressure/vacuum, or just quickly

tell me what you guys think

not sure how safe it would be to use with various solvents though, however

the clear plastic is copolyester, the black parts are polypropylene and the plunger is Thermoplastic Elastomer, none of which contain bpa's

May you find the Light... and bring some back.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

MelCat
#2 Posted : 9/2/2011 6:44:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Someone made a post about this a year or so ago and it never got much attention.

I've been wanting to try one out but the plastic parts kinda scare me a bit.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with these things??

It seems like it would be helpful in certain situations if it won't react with acids or bases.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

amor_fati
#3 Posted : 9/2/2011 8:25:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM's used it for some things. Certain stages of rue extraction work great with an aeropress, but don't put the seed powder in there or it'll clog. It does work for cleaning up an extraction of harmaloids as well as filtering a botched nontoxic freebase conversion of spice, but yeah, wouldn't put any harsh solvents through it.

Trickster
#4 Posted : 9/9/2011 5:32:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Analogue wrote:

tell me what you guys think

not sure how safe it would be to use with various solvents though, however

Why bother when Amazon sells complete filtration kits for ~30-40 USD (0.5 L to 2 L)? A water aspirator will cost you another 15 bucks. They even sell a filtration kit with hand vacuum pump for 65 USD. All important parts (the funnel and the flask) are made from porcelain and glass.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Apoc
#5 Posted : 9/9/2011 6:05:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not sure any kind of French press type thing would work 100%. It would work 90%, but it seems that mimosa powder contains sediment pieces that are so small, they aren't even visible until the drink settles for a while, you can see a collection of tiny red dust at the bottom, and no average filtration method works to get out the red gunk. As soon as you shake the drink, the dust disperses and you can barely even tell it's there. That dust is the bad stuff to drink. I suspect it's tannate. That's the stuff that makes you wretch. My thinking is, if it isn't soluble, it isn't active, so I strive to get as much of the red dust out.

To do this, I think one is better off just letting the drink settle completely, and siphoning off the water. The remaining insoluble stuff with some water will be at the bottom. Add more water the sediment, let it settle, then siphon off the water again. It's the same process of reduction used in Gibran's easy caapi extraction to remove insoluble material. No filtering, just settling, siphoning, and water washing. The disadvantage is that this method takes time. However, it works 100%

amor_fati
#6 Posted : 9/13/2011 5:54:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Trickster wrote:
Why bother when Amazon sells complete filtration kits for ~30-40 USD (0.5 L to 2 L)? A water aspirator will cost you another 15 bucks. They even sell a filtration kit with hand vacuum pump for 65 USD. All important parts (the funnel and the flask) are made from porcelain and glass.

Good call. The aeropress is really only worthwhile if needed for other purposes. Even then, I bet a lab filtration kit could easily be rigged for culinary purposes. It's been mentioned (probably by you, Trickster) that vacuum filtration would work well in combination with THP, and though I have no experience with this, I'd be inclined to agree.

Also, if needed, it's apparently fairly simple to customize different funnel designs. For example, a screen can be heated and dropped into the neck of HDPE funnel, and the edges should melt into the plastic slightly, securing it in place. I imagine this would work well with THP, though SWIM hasn't had cause to try it in the past. This trick may be handy or, to some extent, necessary if using vacuum filtration.

Apoc
#7 Posted : 9/13/2011 6:07:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dagger wrote:
Mimosa is super easy to filter. The trick is to not extract it with too hot water. Don't go above 45-50C/113-122f and it should give a clear reddish color without any sediments. After the red coloring gets brighter, you can increase the temperature. This device should work nicely with mimosa imho. I have used a 60ml syringe to extract mimosa, but its capacity is a bit on the low side. Otherwise you may use a THP type of contraption.

Maybe it's just my mimosa. From another vendor, the powder was large enough to easily strain. But the last batch of mimosa I got from another vendor is so finely powdered, it's almost MHRG (mimosa hostilis root gas).