We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Re-potting and soil questions Options

Red Eclipse
#1 Posted : 9/4/2011 5:54:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

It's early September. I'm planning on getting a nice, new torch specimen. It's already rooted in a small plastic container. I'm wondering when I receive it, could I re-pot it this late in the season. Or, should I wait until the spring time? Either way, I don't plan to water it until spring, I just don't want to stunt the root system re-potting at an awkward time.

Also, would a 50% sand, 10% perlite and 40% potting soil be a good mixture for this cacti?

thanks!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

dg
#2 Posted : 9/6/2011 2:33:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

Red Eclipse wrote:
It's early September. I'm planning on getting a nice, new torch specimen. It's already rooted in a small plastic container. I'm wondering when I receive it, could I re-pot it this late in the season. Or, should I wait until the spring time? Either way, I don't plan to water it until spring, I just don't want to stunt the root system re-potting at an awkward time.

Also, would a 50% sand, 10% perlite and 40% potting soil be a good mixture for this cacti?

thanks!

if youre not going to water, not much point in up potting.

in warmer climates like mine(n.ca) transplanting and watering now is fine, and will be for a month or so

i'm not a fan of sand, with that much it will get really compacted

maybe, 50% potting soil, 5% compost, and 45% perlite or turface
i also add a healthy sprinkle of 20-20-20 osmocote time release balls

AlbertKLloyd
#3 Posted : 9/6/2011 5:09:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've seen DG's gardens grow amazingly well, cactus included.
I second his advice.

San Pedro type cacti also grow really well in pretty standard potting mixes, they do not tend to need cactus based mixes

Mitakuye Oyasin
#4 Posted : 1/2/2014 8:53:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DG, for SoCal climate would up potting be a good idea now (January) or should one wait until Spring?

Thanks
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Chaquah
#5 Posted : 1/2/2014 1:05:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

See here for great info on soil for SanPedro's

http://www.sacredcactus.com/pottingsoil.htm

Mitakuye Oyasin
#6 Posted : 1/2/2014 7:28:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks. How about time of year to repot in SoCal? Do it now in January (70's days and 40's nights) or wait until Spring?
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Entheogenerator
#7 Posted : 1/2/2014 8:06:58 PM

Homo discens

Chaquah wrote:
See here for great info on soil for SanPedro's

http://www.sacredcactus.com/pottingsoil.htm

Would this soil mix be adequate for T. bridgesii or T. peruvianus as well?
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

Parshvik Chintan
#8 Posted : 1/3/2014 12:47:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Entheogenerator wrote:
Would this soil mix be adequate for T. bridgesii or T. peruvianus as well?

im sure soil for one trich is good for another
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

hostilis
#9 Posted : 1/3/2014 7:32:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use the same soil for all of my trichocereus. If there's one thing I've learned in the last year and a half of growing cacti is to not over complicate things. (Which I tend to do a lot of the time.)
3... 2... 1... BLAST OFF!!!!FFO TSALB ...1 ...2 ...3

My grafting guide

Entheogenerator
#10 Posted : 1/3/2014 9:26:34 AM

Homo discens

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
im sure soil for one trich is good for another

That's what I figured, but I didn't want to just assume.

hostilis wrote:
I use the same soil for all of my trichocereus. If there's one thing I've learned in the last year and a half of growing cacti is to not over complicate things. (Which I tend to do a lot of the time.)

This might prove to be a challenge for me! Laughing
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

Chaquah
#11 Posted : 1/3/2014 11:03:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

All my trichocereuses get this soil once they survived their first year as seedlings. I repot them every two years after that, or at least give them fresh soil.

I wouldn't know when the right time to repot is there. The rule is to not repot when they are not growing/dormant.

Entheogenerator
#12 Posted : 1/3/2014 12:21:27 PM

Homo discens

Chaquah wrote:
All my trichocereuses get this soil once they survived their first year as seedlings. I repot them every two years after that, or at least give them fresh soil.

I wouldn't know when the right time to repot is there. The rule is to not repot when they are not growing/dormant.

Wish I had know this before getting these T. bridgesii specimens in January... Rolling eyes

Oh well, you live and you learn!

dg
#13 Posted : 1/3/2014 2:31:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

Mitakuye Oyasin wrote:
DG, for SoCal climate would up potting be a good idea now (January) or should one wait until Spring?

Thanks

i'd wait for night time temps about 60* (probably spring Smile )

Mitakuye Oyasin
#14 Posted : 1/3/2014 9:30:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool, thanks. One thing Cactus seem to teach is patience.
— Terence McKenna