We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Calcium bufotenate extraction: acetic instead of hcl acid? Options

Psilo-somatic
#1 Posted : 12/6/2008 9:26:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM is tryin to extract calcium bufotenate effectively and came across this tek:

"So I played around quite a bit and finally invented my own very extraction technique. Here’s how it’s done. Boil the powdered beans in water made pH 3 with hydrochloric acid for about an hour, and then filter out the beans, and repeat 2 more times with new water, also made pH 3 with hydrochloric acid. Concentrate the combined water extracts down and evaporate to leave some solid brownish gunk. Weigh this gunk and measure out an equal portion of calcium hydroxide (the same pickling lime used to make Yopo and Vilca snuff!).

Dissolve the gunk in a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, just enough to make it a thick syrupy liquid, then add an equal portion of water, then mix in the calcium hydroxide. Mix it very well. You don’t want any clumps. It should be the consistency of thick pea soup. Let it sit for about 6 hours for the calcium hydroxide to react with the bufotenine, creating the basic salt calcium bufotenate. Now evaporate it (you can use an oven at 300 F for this step). Once it’s evaporated completely add a generous portion of acetone. Mix it well. The acetone won’t dissolve any of the calcium hydroxide, or much else, but will easily dissolve the calcium bufotenate. Let it sit an hour or more for the non-soluble particles to sink to the bottom, once the acetone takes on a clear dark amber color, poor your mix through a filter to obtain the acetone.

You can repeat the acetone extraction with new acetone a few more times until its clear. Evaporate the combined acetone to get an extremely potent extract that is nearly 90% pure calcium bufotenine, which is one of the most potent forms of bufotenine. It’s the form found in properly make Yopo and Vilca snuff that has been used for thousands of years in South America. It’s more psychoactive than free-base bufotenine and much more psychoactive than the acidic salt form found in the unprocessed beans."

So SWIM isnt so keen on using hcl, so would like to try using vinegar in the initial boiling step instead. Anyone know whether this would adversely affect the ext? Any input or advice would be greatly appretiated.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

69ron
#2 Posted : 12/6/2008 9:30:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Vinegar would work just fine.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Entropymancer
#3 Posted : 12/6/2008 9:38:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

It should also be noted that this tek is almost certainly extracting bufotenine freebase, not calcium bufotenate.

Psilo-somatic
#4 Posted : 12/6/2008 10:00:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh I see. So should SWIM just worry about the conversion to calcium bufo after pure enough freebase was obtained?

Entropymancer
#5 Posted : 12/6/2008 10:09:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Not unless SWIY is an experienced chemist who can speculate on what solvents it might be possible to generate calcium bufotenate in.

It's entirely possible that one might be able to form a calcium salt of bufotenine, but it's been pretty clearly determined that this can't be accomplished in water or simple alcohols. SWIY would have to get very creative about solvents to attempt to generate this theoretical salt.

Hell, it may not even be possible to generate calcium bufotenate under any sort of typical conditions.

That experience on erowid that you quote the procedure from appears to be written by a fellow who made it his mission to spread the myth of calcium bufotenate across the internet. It's possible his intentions were pure and he really believed that he was creating calcium bufotenate by this process. But there are messageboards on which he created multiple puppet accounts, and used these puppet accounts to post that they had tried his posted methods, and confirm that they generated calcium bufotenate... When a person makes fake accounts to confirm their own findings as a means of getting other people excited about it, I become VERY skeptical of that person's claims. I've also editted his speculative edits off of wikipedia articles on Anadenanthera and bufotenine several times (he periodically edits them back in). Whoever this fellow is, several of his posts made it clear that he lacks even a basic understanding of chemistry; the stoichiometry of forming the salt baffled him.

lorax
#6 Posted : 12/8/2008 4:09:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

you don;t need to boil the seeds at all. its a waste of energy. just powder them, add the same volume of calcium hydroxide to it and just enough water to make it a thick but stirable paste. let it sit for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. then dry it completely in an oven at 150F. powder it when its dry and pull on it with acetone until acetone takes on no more color. for a very crude extract you can evaporate this acetone directly. for a cleaner product the actives can be precipitated out with 10% citric acid saturated acetone. add enough citric acid saturated acetone solution until no more precipitates. retrieve the precipitates and dry completely. this then needs to be freebased again.

to do this just mix it with the same volume of calcium hydroxide and again add just enough water to make this a stirable paste. let it sit for an hour, stirring occasionally. dry it completely. powder it. pull on it with acetone. retrieve and evaporate acetone.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

Psilo-somatic
#7 Posted : 12/9/2008 10:15:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a whole lot guys. I cant wait until something solid comes along soon to back up this controversy.
Thanks to you, entro because I looked into him a bit myself and he seems much less than reputable. I wish that wasn't on erowid. I usually tend to trust what they have to say.
Do you have any prediction as to whether fumaric acid would work in place of citric lorax? I would think it'd be cool.

acolon_5
#8 Posted : 12/12/2008 4:48:59 PM

The Great Namah

I also wonder what other acids would work with this type of extraction.

Phosphoric?
HCL?
Sulfuric?
Acetic?
Fumaric?

Any idea's
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.