We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Has the name SPICE been corrupted by commercialized synthetic cannabis?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes. We need a new name. 0 0 %
No. 1 4 %
Maybe. 1 4 %
Who cares? It was our word first! 16 76 %
Yes & No... a replacement name wouldn't hurt. 1 4 %
Sort of. But we're keeping the name. 2 9 %
What commercial synthesized cannabis? 0 0 %

Spice? Options

Hyperspace Fool
#1 Posted : 8/25/2011 7:16:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As with many of you here, I have often referred to DMT and other similar smokables as spice (jim jam or jungle spice etc.).

It began to feel somewhat wrong when that wave of synthetic cannabinoid stuff began popping up everywhere under the name SPICE. I don't want to discuss that stuff, but just to ask whether, considering its former popularity, as well as the negative press it has received both before and after being illegalized in the US and many EU countries in the last year or so... if it isn't prudent to start thinking of better terms for DMT freebase and salts. I have encountered confusion on this subject many times over the past decade.

While we're at it, talking about freebase has its own set of negative (albeit wrong-headed) connotations.

What do you guys think?
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 8/25/2011 7:26:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for bringing this up. It has also crossed my mind. I propably would not use the term to an outsider anyways, but yes...Spice is better known as the syntheetic cannaboid, i agree.

SnozzleBerry
#3 Posted : 8/25/2011 7:47:18 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

I see no problem with spice...contextually, I'd be quite surprised if someone ever got them confused, the board seems to get on just fine with spice being substituted for DMT. No one seems to think that people may be referring to jwh/cp.

As to freebase, it's the scientifically correct term for any freebase alkaloid, so to my mind, there's even less of an issue here. If someone has a negative connotation of "freebase", all I can say is it sucks for them that they're so closed minded/unaware of chemical terminology.

I mean, "drug" has a bad connotation in many circles (as evidenced by the "why people hate drugs" thread) should we pretend that DMT (or any substance we like to use) is not a drug?
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

۩
#4 Posted : 8/25/2011 7:57:44 PM

I couldn't care less about that crap. N,N-DMT is the spice, regardless of the connotations.

obliguhl
#5 Posted : 8/25/2011 8:00:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I'd be quite surprised if someone ever got them confused, the board seems to get on just fine with spice being substituted for DMT.

Yes on this board. In .de, Spice has been WILDLY popular for instance. Ask anyone, any "drug user" about spice and he will think you mean JHW.

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 8/25/2011 8:28:49 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

obliguhl wrote:
Quote:
I'd be quite surprised if someone ever got them confused, the board seems to get on just fine with spice being substituted for DMT.

Yes on this board. In .de, Spice has been WILDLY popular for instance. Ask anyone, any "drug user" about spice and he will think you mean JHW.

But even when talking about it outside of this board and relating set/setting/effects/etc...it should be apparent, imo (which is why I put contextually in front of the quote you took). The context of the discussion should, to my mind, make it apparent as to which spice you are referring, no?
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

gibran2
#7 Posted : 8/25/2011 8:53:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Having "spice" refer to different things may help to leave the powers-that-be confused. That's a good thing. Smile
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Apoc
#8 Posted : 8/25/2011 8:56:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought spice was a term that could basically be used as a slang for any substance of a certain nature. Everything is spice these days.

Simon Jester
#9 Posted : 8/26/2011 10:51:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The only problem I have with "Spice" is the fact that, despite my most sincere wishes, I will never return to my body to find that my eyes are AWESOME GLOWEY BLUE!

Really, it's not like the terms are going to get mixed up in the same circles. At least, when I talk about synth-weed "spice", I'm usually referring to the unpleasant habits of people I'd rather avoid.
-
I am rather partial to "Rocket Fuel", however

Hyperdimensional Cuttlefish
#10 Posted : 8/26/2011 11:26:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't talk about DMT to people who don't know about it already, or outside of the context of general psychedelics, so it's usually not an issue. As far as corruption of name goes, let the ignorant be confused. If they want to learn, they will learn.
All these posts are on behalf of Stimpy, my yellow bullhead. He is an adventurous fish, and I feel his exploits are worth sharing...so much so, I occasionally forget that HE is the one who does these things. Sometimes I get caught in the moment and write of his experiences in the first person; this is a mistake, for I am an upstanding citizen who never does wrong. Stimpy is the degenerate.

Purges
#11 Posted : 8/26/2011 12:50:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
I couldn't care less about that crap. N,N-DMT is the spice, regardless of the connotations.

THIS! Plus, I don't know anyone who smokes synthetic cannabinoids... I have a couple of my friends smoalk Spice with me but they only know it as 'DMT' or 'Changa' - they get a little confuzzled when I call it Spice, despite spelling it out to them lol.
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

d*l*b
#12 Posted : 8/26/2011 1:56:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I get confused looks from most if I use the term spice, whether they have ever come into contact with the other spice or not. Despite the fact that using the term almost always leads to me having to explain myself I tend to err on the side of using it rather than DMT as it is less clinical and in some ways more subtle. I had wondered, however, if using the term spice would lead to increased attention due to recent legislation against JWH/CP and smoking mixtures based on them, but who knows. Whatever I still like the term spice.

If we have to make a name change I propose we are all mandated to use a new term that I’m sure you’ll all agree really rolls of the tongue. How about “The Hyperdimensional Access and Entity Communication Portal”?
D × V × F > R

Purges
#13 Posted : 8/26/2011 2:28:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

d*l*b wrote:
How about “The Hyperdimensional Access and Entity Communication Portal”?

Or THAECP for short, catchy lol Laughing

d*l*b
#14 Posted : 8/26/2011 3:07:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Purges wrote:
d*l*b wrote:
How about “The Hyperdimensional Access and Entity Communication Portal”?

Or THAECP for short, catchy lol Laughing

I’m glad I have other people on my wavelength!
D × V × F > R

Hyperspace Fool
#15 Posted : 8/26/2011 3:33:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very catchy.

How about "Neon Mothball Pineal Sap Essence" or Neo-Mopse (with a pronounced e on the end). Pleased
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

Purges
#16 Posted : 8/26/2011 4:06:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How about Space Probe Inducing Cerebral Extremes? YAY we have S.P.I.C.E back! Very happy