We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
power drill enthusiasts-your input please!!! Options

corpus callosum
#1 Posted : 8/18/2011 5:52:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Good morning Nexians!Smile

As someone prone to insomnia, Ive just spent the last couple of hours pondering on a better way to powderise MHRB than the blender and coffee grinder.Both of these do the job to some degree but when it comes to blitzing say 500g or more, its time consuming, and to be frank, a bit of a pain.

We have thousands of members here, and statistically speaking, there has to be some who have a passion for power tools and also have an inventive mind.Its the help of such Nexians that this thread requires, for the benefit of those who cannot get powdered MHRB anymore.

If we consider that a blender is simply a usually feeble motor, attached to a rotating blade with the latter enclosed within a confined receptacle, I feel confident that we could simply extend this idea, with a little imagination, and utilise a power drill with an appropriate bit carrying a circular saw-blade to produce a turbo-charged blender which would meet our requirements nicely.And I'm hopeful that a construction such as I envisage would probably powderise the fibres too.

I really do reckon that this could be the way forward provided any devices constructed pay the required attention to the safety of the user, and for this reason any Nexians who have experience of using such tools and cobbling together devices with an appropriate regard to safety, please chip in.

Im sure other power tools such as a drill press could be imaginatively used as well, so any ideas etc are most welcome!!Very happy Wink
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

a1pha
#2 Posted : 8/18/2011 5:54:43 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

What a great idea.

I just picked up the following for another project, but never considered the option of a grinder. How do you propose it be made? I'd love to test it out.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 8/18/2011 5:57:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Yes, a1pha, thats the kind of drill press Im talking about-ideal for keeping your blade-thing held firmly and strictly vertically.

TBH, Ive lots of ideas but Im not that technically adept, but I see great potential with this approach.Hence the need for those better versed than me to help this thread evolve!
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

۩
#4 Posted : 8/18/2011 6:03:54 AM

Just get one of those nice big circular drill pieces that are meant to grind out large holes in wood

I imagine you could just fire that up and let it grind if you could somehow enclose it, like some kind of metal tubing enclosure around the drill with the mimosa inside? Kind of like a satanic french press of sorts although instead of filtering we are obliterating.

a1pha
#5 Posted : 8/18/2011 6:05:33 AM

۩ wrote:
Just get one of those nice big circular drill pieces that are meant to grind out large holes in wood

I imagine you could just fire that up and let it grind if you could somehow enclose it, like some kind of metal tubing enclosure around the drill with the mimosa inside? Kind of like a satanic french press of sorts although instead of filtering we are obliterating.

I have many sizes of those. I need to finish this one project, but would love to test this out. Let me think a bit on this.

corpus callosum
#6 Posted : 8/18/2011 6:08:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

^^Nice!!Smile

Already Im getting the feeling that the possibilities with powertools etc, are not bad at all!Smile

MelCat
#7 Posted : 8/18/2011 8:01:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe a mini millstone? One that straps to the bottom and another one on top in place of a drill bit.

Somehow wrap the sides with something so nothing could escape and then have a dugout on the bottom stone for the powder to escape and collect.

That would grind it finer than anything else I can think of. We would just have to watch the heat levels so it doesn't hurt the spice during the grinding process.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Entheojen
#8 Posted : 8/18/2011 8:36:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

How about a commercial (a lot more expensive) blender from a catering equipment supplier? It would be a lot more robust, probably bigger and have a stronger motor.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

a1pha
#9 Posted : 8/18/2011 4:14:55 PM

Entheojen wrote:
How about a commercial (a lot more expensive) blender from a catering equipment supplier? It would be a lot more robust, probably bigger and have a stronger motor.

Nope. I've tried the VitaMix with zero luck. From my understanding, it's about the best blender available.

Nitegazer
#10 Posted : 8/18/2011 5:23:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In terms of souped-up kitchen ware, the Wondermill might be a possibility:
Wondermill

I also think a belt sander could be utilized, if the appropriate way to hold the bark could be worked out.

amor_fati
#11 Posted : 8/18/2011 6:55:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM was looking into this for some time, actually. The drill blender is what really caught his eye, and he's been searching for DIY approaches ever since. The cost of the device isn't too bad, and it'll likely fit a mason jar (ideal for containing the mess and for the preparation to follow, most of which may be performed in the very same vessel); but the lack of replacement blades is concerning. SWIM has managed to use a regular blender blade assembly in conjunction with a drill with minor success (enough to get the extraction underway) and some difficulty.

SWIM does believe this to be the way forward.

Also, I'm sure more complex systems could be devised using a simple cordless drill as a motor: http://www.dpxsystems.com/

Entheojen
#12 Posted : 8/18/2011 10:29:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What about that blendtec blender that blends golf clubs, mobile phones and houses etc? There's loads of videos on YouTube.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

biopsylo
#13 Posted : 8/18/2011 10:37:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

just wondering here, cause i dont remember reading it:

has it been "proven" that more can be extracted from powdered mimosa than finely shredded?

how about shredded then pressure cooked in vinegar?

just wondering because if there is not much difference, then it may be easier than trying to build a new tool. i would like to see the machine that the suppliers useSmile

corpus callosum
#14 Posted : 8/18/2011 10:46:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

^^ Fine question!

Its one I can't answer but I wonder if the claims by some vendors who say their powdered mimosa is 30ish % more potent may have simply sold the blended stuff with the fibres filtered out.Last time I powdered 500g, which was time-consuming, the bag of end product did contain a fair bit of fine fibre as well as the powder.Just speculating here....

Dreamwalker
#15 Posted : 8/18/2011 10:53:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting thread... I have access to many power tools from belt sanders to drill presses. I can think of numerous ways to powderize the bark. The only complications arise when trying to contain all the loose dust and particles that will be flying all over the place.

A blender is good cause everything is contained with a lid and all. Unfortunately the motor can only take so much before it quickly breaks down.

I'm gonna sleep on this and try and contribute as best I can. I've got a few ideas floating around...

SnozzleBerry
#16 Posted : 8/18/2011 10:58:05 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Entheojen wrote:
What about that blendtec blender that blends golf clubs, mobile phones and houses etc? There's loads of videos on YouTube.

It's a load of crap according to most who actually buy it...especially for the price. The VitaMix is better afaik.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

biopsylo
#17 Posted : 8/18/2011 11:04:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Entheojen wrote:

It's a load of crap according to most who actually buy it...especially for the price. The VitaMix is better afaik.

OMG i just watched a few of the crazy blendtec vids on utube. this guy blends a iphone. that machine will prob do pretty well, but will it be a fine powder?

I have coveted the vita mix for years now, but cant spare the change, and if i had one, i would not abuse it with bark--it is too fibrous.

the vita mix is the raw foodist wet dream.

Spicegnosis
#18 Posted : 8/19/2011 1:29:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use a £25 ice blender,by repeatedly inverting it,500g of hole bark can be powderised in a couple of minuets.

Entheogens,the original human rites

MySmelf
#19 Posted : 8/19/2011 1:43:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

biopsylo wrote:
just wondering here, cause i dont remember reading it:

has it been "proven" that more can be extracted from powdered mimosa than finely shredded?

how about shredded then pressure cooked in vinegar?

just wondering because if there is not much difference, then it may be easier than trying to build a new tool. i would like to see the machine that the suppliers useSmile

Here's a picture I got from a supplier.
MySmelf attached the following image(s):
ground2.jpg (310kb) downloaded 172 time(s).
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

Dreamwalker
#20 Posted : 8/19/2011 2:19:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! That machine actually looks a lot smaller than I imagined it would. Anyone know the cost of one of those would be?

12NEXT