We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How to Substitute Lye with Sodium Carbonate? Options

DMT Entity
#1 Posted : 12/2/2008 5:30:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Could someone please tell me the name of a tek that uses sodium carbonate for basification instead of sodium hydroxide? Or could you tell me how to go about using sodium carbonate for basification in Marsofold's tek. Thanks.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 12/2/2008 6:02:34 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Hi DMT Entity,

I assume you are talking about these directions (taken from Marsofold's)

Quote:
Basification: Premix in advance a solution of: 4 Tablespoons (50grams) of Sodium Hydroxide ("Red Devil" lye) with 1-Pint of HOT Water. Stir well. Slowly add this solution to the wine jug, then cap the jug. Gently tilt the wine jug back and forth for 1 full minute to mix the contents.

In the case of sodium carbonate, one should not worry about dissolving it in a pint of water. Always hypothetically speaking, sodium carbonate can be added as it is (powder) in the acidic solution and the solution gently shaken to dissolve it. 20g to 60g per litre should be enough to basify the acidic solution. One may actually add more, but I would assume that dissolving 100g/litre is unnecessarily a lot and it does take some time to dissolve. As long as the acidic solution turns nice and black, then one is theoretically on the right tract.

Hope that helps!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

69ron
#3 Posted : 12/3/2008 1:54:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just beware of the fizz generated from the release of CO2 when sodium carbonate reacts with the acids. If you add too much too quickly it's like shaking a can of soda and lots of fizz will be generated and possibly overflow the container. It’s not dangerous, just messy.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.