We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Drying Acetone...Correctly Options

kemist
#21 Posted : 5/6/2009 12:14:14 AM

John

warrensaged wrote:

kemist wrote:
every proper chemist using molecular sieves made out of Zeolite

Well good for them...Rolling eyes
Thanks for all the simpleton information fellas, it worked perfectly!!
WS
ZEOLITE IS THE BEST !!! Full stop!
Molecular sieves are good for removing water but also other impurities. One need just choose right size of pores.
Only downside are high regeneration temperature 300-350 degree C which conventional oven won`t hit

But tight kitchen kemist can indeed use Na2SO4, MgSO4, CaSO4 or K2CO3!
All off them are good and are used for drying ketones ,although Caso4 is the most universal one for almost all organic solvents!

Regeneration temperatures(degree Celsius)
CaSO4 190-230 C
MgSO4 200-then until red hot Shocked (probably 800 c)
Na2SO4 150 C
K2CO3 100 C(if is very fine)- up to 158 C
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

amor_fati
#22 Posted : 5/6/2009 12:14:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

GirlsHateMe wrote:
sorry if i came off a bit dickish, that wasnt my intention...

but I also saw the tek from junk first and only recently found out about the book...its a good book...you can download it on isohunt search for david lee

No worries. Yeah, I just found out a few hours ago that it was finally up. SWIM can't wait!

GirlsHateMe wrote:
Also its seems odd that nobody ever mentions the fact that the dried epsom salts as well as acetone will absorb moisture from the air if left out...im not sure of how rapidly they absorb it at this point, but I know they do...

I think it's been mentioned on the forums a few times that acetone will absorb ambient moisture if left for too long, especially if left open. FASA implementation generally always calls for it to be performed in a container that can be sealed. Epsom doesn't seem to absorb it all that fast, but SWIM's always recommended that it be sealed and stored away from moisture.

This is why SWIM would rather use THP, rather than pour it in the can. Pouring it in may dry it for a little while, assuming a proper amount is used and properly mixed, but if left for too long, would require that more is added. One could just pour it through THP several times before every use to ensure that it's dry every time. If gypsum is a better alternative to this, then so be it, but SWIM's certain that it will work well enough either way.

GirlsHateMe wrote:
Dry acetone isnt watched, so I dont see why everyone acts like you cant just order the stuff or ask around for it...

It is sometimes used in meth production, so are you really certain that it isn't watched?

GirlsHateMe
#23 Posted : 5/6/2009 1:38:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

no, im not certain and I just really diddnt think dry acetone was something used in meth...

thanks for the info though on drying, I just was reading about it and found some people coming down really hard on the whole drying with baked epsom thing and I diddnt wanna take that stance totally but just present the obstacles they pointed out that worried me...

If your saying they are a bit overstated then by all means I wont argue to much because I was hoping that was the case...

I guess I was looking for you to point out flaws in their cunning arguments, lol...thanks...
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. - Ephesians 6:12-13

GHM is an internet handle, a fictional one at that, the person I portray in no way depicts real life actions and or opinions. After all, whats the internet for besides pretending to be someone you arent! Also, no girls do not really hate me.

Shakti
#24 Posted : 8/24/2009 9:22:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Would it be possible to simply distill acetone to dry it? Or is it like ethanol in that water will come with it and it will never be anhydrous through this method?

SuperRad
#25 Posted : 9/18/2009 4:31:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I have some important information to share. Please don't call me an idiot, I suspected that this might happen, but since I wasn't sure I figured it was worth the shot.

I bought a lb of indicating drierite to dry acetone. Ideally, the drierite would cease fading when all the water was absorbed from the acetone.

Firstly, the indication did not work well, none of the drierite turned pink, but rather it got very slightly lighter in color. Then I tried to stir it around to make it get in contact with as much H20 as possible.

That's when I noticed point 2: The cobalt indicator is probably soluble in acetone. The acetone turned completely blue, I didn't bother to trying to filter the acetone through a buchner funnel.

DON'T GET INDICATING CaSO4!

Also this test leads me to believe that whether you use Epsom or Drierite, you need to AGITATE the mix, and probably let it sit to actually dry the acetone, It wasn't until I started stirring that any light spots started to appear in the drierite.

amor_fati
#26 Posted : 9/18/2009 5:14:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM's been experimenting with plaster of paris dry-mix, which seems to work, as it can be observed to absorb moisture out of the acetone.

Firstly, SWIM's been using it in basification of DMT-fumarate to lock in the water used in the process. This seems to work well, but SWIM will need a larger amount of fumarate before his results can be conclusive.

Secondly, SWIM's been using it alongside anhydrous epsom in THP to dry acetone, which he used successfully in bufotenine extraction.

caliwa
#27 Posted : 8/9/2011 12:13:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i cant get ahydrous acetone anywhere. i dont even know if acetone on its anhydrous form is liquid. anyway im aware that normal acetone can be converted to its anhydrous form. is there a way a mortal can achieve it?
I am with those man who own that particular kind of courage of the interior voyager.

The Day Tripper
#28 Posted : 8/9/2011 3:59:33 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Take epsom salts, bake in an oven at 400F for 1-2 hrs.

Then once they have cooled down, grind them up for maximum surface area to pull the water from the acetone. Make sure to keep in an airtight container as much as possible because they WILL pull the water right out of the air.

Dump salts into your solvent, let it heavily decant or filter well before use to ensure no contamination with salts.

Good luck.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

SnozzleBerry
#29 Posted : 8/9/2011 1:11:22 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Check the MSDS...my acetone didn't say anhydrous anywhere, nor did it give a percent so I added anhydrous mgso4 and then out of curiosity checked the MSDS online and discovered it was 99% Embarrased
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

caliwa
#30 Posted : 8/9/2011 4:25:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hahaha, thats true Snozzle, it could be a possibility. when I asked for ahydrous acetone the guy said: "oh, we dont have any, we just have pure acetone".

thanks for the guidance, day tripper.. i will get some of those epsom salts just in case.

I am with those man who own that particular kind of courage of the interior voyager.

dooby
#31 Posted : 12/6/2013 11:41:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have both CaSO4 and MgSO4... The latter should be rendered anhydrous before use, but I'm not sure about the CaSO4...

Are there differences in texture or appearance which will allow me to determine if my CaSO4 is "dry" enough to be used as a desiccant?

If necessary, could magnesium sulphate or calcium sulphate be dehydrated safely in a microwave and if so, how? Any safety issues to take into account? (e.g. small quantities only?)

Thanks Pleased
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

downwardsfromzero
#32 Posted : 12/6/2013 11:59:04 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

at the top of this page...
kemist wrote:
warrensaged wrote:

kemist wrote:
every proper chemist using molecular sieves made out of Zeolite

Well good for them...Rolling eyes
Thanks for all the simpleton information fellas, it worked perfectly!!
WS
ZEOLITE IS THE BEST !!! Full stop!
Molecular sieves are good for removing water but also other impurities. One need just choose right size of pores.
Only downside are high regeneration temperature 300-350 degree C which conventional oven won`t hit

But tight kitchen kemist can indeed use Na2SO4, MgSO4, CaSO4 or K2CO3!
All off them are good and are used for drying ketones ,although Caso4 is the most universal one for almost all organic solvents!

Regeneration temperatures(degree Celsius)
CaSO4 190-230 C
MgSO4 200-then until red hot Shocked (probably 800 c)
Na2SO4 150 C
K2CO3 100 C(if is very fine)- up to 158 C

Also the wiki: Rendering_Anhydrous_Magnesium_Sulfate

Don't know about the microwave, except it doesn't strike me as that great an idea. Feel free to experiment if you're willing to risk sacrificing your microwave or possibly your face (joke...??)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

glorf
#33 Posted : 12/7/2013 5:45:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Drierite is a specific product, not just generic CaSO4, it's crushed white gypsum (nearly 100% pure dihydrate) heated to 230-250C for 2-3 hours. heating above 250 or below 170 makes bad product.

the Drierite part of this chart applies only to Drierite that's been dead-burnt...proper activation probably would have been better.

if you store acetone over molecular sieves, it's going to go bad because it causes condensation too. the water content of CuSO4 (from root killer) is self-indicating and this can also give some idea how dry your solvent is. the best agent B2O3 can be made from boric acid.
glorf attached the following image(s):
acetone.gif (19kb) downloaded 547 time(s).

PREV12