We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
UK people! - found awesome jars for STB - no more pipettes! Options

Shattered_Symmetry
#1 Posted : 8/3/2011 2:55:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,

swim found some wicked jars for STB extraction, thought others who might be having a hard time finding good ones might want to know.

They are jars of 'sarsons pickling vinegar' and tescos sell em. The reason they are awesome is they are 1.1 litres a piece and they taper inwards at the top massively.

swim has been able to remove naptha without all the usual time consuming pipette bullshit by holding the jar over a glass dish an simply pouring off the solvent. It will run down the outside of the jar and drip off the bottom into the tray.

As the jar tapers gradually you can get way more of the naptha off than with a pipette, virtually all of it actually! good news if your friends are anything like swim and hate leavin that last bit in there.

A finer jar you will not find my friends! Very happy

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DoingKermit
#2 Posted : 8/3/2011 3:49:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good stuff, Shattered. I all ways seem to need more jars, so this is very helpful. Thanks!

Limeni
#3 Posted : 8/3/2011 4:08:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I sometimes wonder whether people round here have not mastered the very simple art of siphoning. Cool

Just get half a metre of plastic tubing from an aquarium shop.
Put the jar to be separated higher than the receiving jar.
Put one end of tube in top jar.
Give a short firm suck on the other end, and then immediately put into receiving jar.
Then, while it is siphoning out, you just guide the end of the tube in the top jar to make sure you only get what you want.

What put me off was thinking you would risk getting stuff in your mouth when starting it off. But the point is, it is already out of your mouth long before the fluid reaches that end of the tube. Have never been even close to getting stuff in mouth.

Give it a go - It will change your life!

tomtomtom
#4 Posted : 8/3/2011 4:16:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's the one Swim is using right now, the first one he ever used and its good to use again and again. Swim had prob done about 25 extractions from it and it's still solid. The only thing is after a while the lid starts being a lil dick and leaking lye all over your precious pipe holding hand.

So Another one swim uses from tescos is the biggest vinegar bottle they do, its so solid great for heat baths and a turkey baster fits in snug about half way down the bottle. And if someone busts down the door accusing you of having the same details as swim like age,name...finger print you can use the bottle to crack skulls, without spillage.
Like Eve, are we eating from the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil

tomtomtom
#5 Posted : 8/3/2011 4:27:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Limeni wrote:
Give a short firm suck on the other end, and then immediately put into receiving jar.
Then, while it is siphoning out, you just guide the end of the tube in the top jar to make sure you only get what you want.

Why not just suck it out through a straw. OR throw a match in and watch it separate. You should write an entire tek.

vibrancy3
#6 Posted : 8/3/2011 5:39:25 PM

Josh

i always just used several 256ml vinegar jars, but might get these instead from now on Very happy

Limeni
#7 Posted : 8/3/2011 7:23:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tomtomtom wrote:
Why not just suck it out through a straw. OR throw a match in and watch it separate. You should write an entire tek.

What the hell is all that about?! Shocked

As far as I'm aware, I was just offering a quicker and more elegant solution compared to : "..pouring off the solvent. It will run down the outside of the jar and drip off the bottom into the tray."

Anyway, welcome to the Nexus tomtomtom - some worthwhile reading can be found here, when you have a moment: Attitude Confused

DimensionlessBeing
#8 Posted : 8/4/2011 1:52:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tomtomtom wrote:

wow. thats the first really negative post i've seen here. Usually people politely disagree....

Jin
#9 Posted : 8/4/2011 6:47:07 AM

yes

i understand siphoning can be really dangerious if not done right or by the inexperienced in these methods
but tomtomtom be polite bro/sis
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

soulfood
#10 Posted : 8/4/2011 7:53:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

this sounds messy Smile

Limeni
#11 Posted : 8/4/2011 8:31:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jin wrote:
i understand siphoning can be really dangerous...

It is definitely worth having a practice run with a jar of water, just to get the technique down (to make sure you can do it without ever getting anything near your mouth). But I'm not sure how it could be considered 'dangerous'. Obviously you have to take a little bit of care, but you are already dealing with NAOH & solvents, so that's presumably a given.

Siphoning is really very simple, and is always beautiful to watch happening. I can't imagine going back to old methods. The key secret (which I never realised) is that you don't have to suck the liquid right down to the mouth end of the tube to get it started - you just need to get the liquid as far as just below the height of the upper jar...then it will continue to flow down the rest of the tube without any more help. And that gives you plenty of time to get the open end into the receiving jar.

[EDIT...I suppose if someone had the top of the tube in the NAOH layer, and then sucked a mouthful of that in...that would be dangerous. But that would be a fairly extreme 'Darwin Awards' level of uncoordinated stupidity! Confused ]

The point with the 'tipping up and pouring' method described by the OP is that you've just waited a couple of hours to let your mixture settle & separate, so ideally you don't want to be moving the jar, or the layers will start to mix up again.

Anyway, there are many different and valid methods...but, being borderline OCD, I'm always on a search for the most efficient & elegant! .Cool

proto-pax
#12 Posted : 8/4/2011 9:27:45 AM

bird-brain

Glass turkey baster is nice. Don't have to worry at all about ingesting stuff that will kill me.

Also you have plastic in your product Limeni.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Limeni
#13 Posted : 8/4/2011 10:45:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well there does seem to be a general aversion to siphoning around here, so I won't push it.

Just thought I'd put it out there though for those who are interested in clean, quick and elegant technique. Cool

DeMenTed
#14 Posted : 8/4/2011 12:38:48 PM

Barry

other breaking news, your local shop sells a lovely drink called milk and it comes in hdpe 2 jugs Very happy

tomtomtom
#15 Posted : 8/4/2011 1:31:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Limeni wrote:
Anyway, welcome to the Nexus tomtomtom - some worthwhile reading can be found here, when you have a moment: Attitude Confused

Ahh that's where that is.

Yeah thanks for reminding me I am a newb, but I should say I have been adding information from my friend swims experiments for a long time now. This is not my first account. Swim has done countless extractions, experimenting with just about all teks and lots of different equipment.

I just thought it was highly irresponsible of you a member with over a hundred posts, to recommend such a dangerous method of separation. People should be wearing protective clothing like masks or something to cover there mouth. How is that possible while sucking from a tube, keeping you head below the container but also keeping an eye on the solution so as not to suck in any lye. Not to mention it could go in you eyes much easier like that.

And all that danger just to used a technique not even half as effective as a cheap turkey baster.Rolling eyes You must remember that first time extractors may see your comment and use it. I am sure you remember your first extraction, how messy it can get.

The reason my first response was sarcastic was because I didn't want to sound like this ^^^ but still wanted to warn inexperienced swimmers not to do it. I get carried away and think I am funnier than I actually am, so if my comment offended you I apologise.

MelCat
#16 Posted : 8/4/2011 4:10:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tomtomtom wrote:

Yeah thanks for reminding me I am a newb, but I should say I have been adding information from my friend swims experiments for a long time now. This is not my first account. Swim has done countless extractions, experimenting with just about all teks and lots of different equipment.

Hmmm. This strikes me as odd. If you've been a Nexus member for so long, it seems you would know what kind of attitude is tolerated here.

tomtomtom wrote:
I just thought it was highly irresponsible of you a member with over a hundred posts, to recommend such a dangerous method of separation. People should be wearing protective clothing like masks or something to cover there mouth. How is that possible while sucking from a tube, keeping you head below the container but also keeping an eye on the solution so as not to suck in any lye. Not to mention it could go in you eyes much easier like that.

And all that danger just to used a technique not even half as effective as a cheap turkey baster.Rolling eyes You must remember that first time extractors may see your comment and use it. I am sure you remember your first extraction, how messy it can get.

The reason my first response was sarcastic was because I didn't want to sound like this ^^^ but still wanted to warn inexperienced swimmers not to do it. I get carried away and think I am funnier than I actually am, so if my comment offended you I apologise.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe that THIS ^^^ is a WAY better way to express yourself vs
tomtomtom wrote:
"Why not just suck it out through a straw. OR throw a match in and watch it separate. You should write an entire tek."

Are you saying that newbs should put a match in their extractions? What if a newb really did throw a match in. You've got some conflicting points here tomtomtom. In the future, please refrain from the sarcasm and feel free to articulate your point in a respectful way.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

SWIMfriend
#17 Posted : 8/4/2011 5:15:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Limeni wrote:
Well there does seem to be a general aversion to siphoning around here, so I won't push it.

Just thought I'd put it out there though for those who are interested in clean, quick and elegant technique. Cool

Use a turkey baster and retrieve some fluid into a jar; then put your tubing in the jar and fill it with fluid; hold both ends of the tubing to keep the fluid in; then carefully put one end of the tubing into your top layer and hold it there, while you put the other end of the tubing into the siphon jar--then let go of the end in the siphon jar. You'll create a perfect and easy siphon without the danger of sucking naphtha into your mouth or lungs (where it can quickly kill you).

Or else get something like this, demonstrated here.

Xt
#18 Posted : 8/4/2011 6:40:45 PM

A long Stainless steel Luer lock needle and glass luer lock syringe can used to remove solvent layers from the top of jars/bottles.
It works well as a follow up to decanting.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

tomtomtom
#19 Posted : 8/4/2011 7:14:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
Hmmm. This strikes me as odd. If you've been a Nexus member for so long, it seems you would know what kind of attitude is tolerated here.

Thank you for adding you opinion even after I have apologised, your duty as regulator has been fulfilled. But I have already checked myself, so feel free to go about adding useful information to nexus. Or if you want you may send me some pms quizzing me for information until your curiosity is satisfied and you believe I am a long term member.

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
Are you saying that newbs should put a match in their extractions? What if a newb really did throw a match in. You've got some conflicting points here tomtomtom. In the future, please refrain from the sarcasm and feel free to articulate your point in a respectful way.

If a newb managed to get as far as extraction then I am sure they would definitely have the intellect to grasp my very obvious sarcasm. And I believe you know that, but are making a much bigger deal out of this to be petty. Strange you are using the point of personal safety to make me seem careless but you have not posted anything to the member who advised a very dangerous technique of separation. Or is it more important for you to be teaching me a lesson in manners.

Your comment was respectfully noted, even though there was no need for it as I have already apologised to clear the air and hopefully bring the thread back on track. If you feel the need to continue this conversation I politely ask you do it in a pm as not to further derail this thread. Kind Regards