We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
blab fasi step goo problem Options

TRyptamine
#1 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:03:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

hello guys

swim is doing extraction using blab tec a few times.
this time in fasi part swim has not reached the crystals
just some goo
swim tried 2 times
added the fasi slow
what can be the reason for that?

and want to learn in this step do swim need a closed jar or opened jar ?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

rOm
#2 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:11:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's good to remain your jar closed as 99% IPA evaporate really fast an dyou want to avoid inhaling much.
I don't see what you could have done wrong in your FASI.
Is there some goo on the bottom of the jar only and crystals around the jar or no crystals at all ?
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Xt
#3 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:15:37 AM

Ideally both the limonene and FASI would have been dehydrated with a drying agent such as MgS04 before commencing with the precipitation.

β€œRight here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

rOm
#4 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:21:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanque you X-teque.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

TRyptamine
#5 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:23:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
It's good to remain your jar closed as 99% IPA evaporate really fast an dyou want to avoid inhaling much.
I don't see what you could have done wrong in your FASI.
Is there some goo on the bottom of the jar only and crystals around the jar or no crystals at all ?

no crystals just goo
first time the jar was open
but second time i close it
same thing happen

about a year ago
i did the same extraction with same method
and reached beautiful crystall
but this time i used different bark from pedro brazil
same limonen and fumaric acid
%99 ipa bought new

i really want to know the mistake and solve the problem

TRyptamine
#6 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:32:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Xt wrote:
Ideally both the limonene and FASI would have been dehydrated with a drying agent such as MgS04 before commencing with the precipitation.

how can swim dehydrate limonen and fasi with mgs04 ?

endlessness
#7 Posted : 7/14/2011 10:15:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

How fast did you add the FASI ? I have noticed the faster you add the FASI, the more chance of a goo.. Better add it slowly over some minutes/hours.

Also little correction to Xt, I think he means drying the IPA before doing the FASI. But 99% should be dry enough IPA, specially if its recently opened (if its old and stored IPA it might have trapped moisture from air, in that case better do the drying step)

As for drying limonene, I dont see how that would really be necessary since it is not really miscible with water (hence why in an extraction it rises to the top when mixed with the acqueous solution, being a non-polar and all). Ive never dried limonene, do you really see any advantage in that Xt? I mean, when would you do it, before making the limo pulls? And if so, then after mixing with the basic solution, you're gonna get it in contact with water again.. Or would you do it after, and how much water do you think can be in the limonene? Plus isnt it possible that the MgSO4 will have a bit of your limonene and therefore alkaloids if you do it after doing the pull? I would say no need at all to dry limonene, but feel free to argue otherwise Very happy

As for what to do now, I would say add a bit of water to the goo and let it on a plate (in water bath if you want to speed up) to dry. Then do a dry IPA or acetone wash on the stuff that was dried (dont throw the IPA wash away, just in case for some reason its a bit wet and carries alkaloids away, wait for final yield to be good before throwing stuff away).

Then tell us how it looks, if youre satisfied. Otherwise one can try to clean it up further, or just convert to freebase.