We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
maoi "cheese effect" experience? Options

mshanksman
#1 Posted : 7/9/2011 6:55:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So I ate 225 mg of syrian rue alkaloids that I extracted myself. just to see if they worked. I didn't feel that much happening, but barely noticed something different after about an hour. I was reading topics on this forum about the safety of maois with cheese and other Tyramine containing foods, and reading other sources about it. from what I read it sounded like the problem was a buildup of tyramine in the body after eating cheese while on a permanent maoi for a while. My housemates offered me some chili and I though, "ah, it won't hurt me, its not the right kind of beans and it doesn't have That much cheese, and the rima will be gone in 12 hours anyway"

i was very wrong. or so i think. I started getting very tired, naseus, feverish, and started throwing up and sweating like crazy. I couldn't figure out how to monitor my heart rate (inebriated state) but I think It was beating really fast. after throwing up twice I saw tracers for a bit, and eventually tried to go to sleep, I felt super tired and out of it, but I was unable to sleep the whole night, just tossing and turning.

anyway, I am feeling better, still regaining my stomach acid and ability to eat / etc. this whole experience was pretty scary as I had read that you could get a heart attack from eating tyramine while on Maois. it turned me off of pharma and I'm expecting it will be a long time before I muster the courage to try again, and you can bet i'll use a lower dose and watch my diet!!!!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

jamie
#2 Posted : 7/9/2011 7:48:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

dont believe everything you read online. First off RIMA's have been shown to not have the same tyramine interactions as other long term true maoi's..there is alot of misinformation on the net reguarding this subject. The effects you experienced could have simply been the harmalas themselves and nothing else. Eating food sometimes activates them and makes the trip really go up a notch, as well as the nausea.

225mg of rue alkaloids is a large dose for some people, especially if you are not used to harmalas. All of your symptoms are in line with a large dose of harmalas and they will be worse if you are not acustomed to large doses of harmalas. You have to eat alot of tyramine to have a true reaction, and it does not sound like you did. If you really had a tyramine crisis you would have had a splitting migraine headache, not just nausea and feaverish feelings, restlessness or increased heartbeat. All of those things are in line with large doses of harmalas.

I would try starting with like 100mg next time and slowly getting used to larger doses.
Long live the unwoke.