We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is Potassium Hydroxide better than Sodium Hydroxide? Options

Buttsack
#1 Posted : 7/8/2011 4:41:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I've read a couple of people stating that potassium hydroxide is better than sodium hydroxide. Is this the case when it comes to extracting DMT and mescaline?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

۩
#2 Posted : 7/8/2011 4:44:51 AM

They both work great.

benzyme
#3 Posted : 7/8/2011 4:47:33 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

better in what sense? better is a relative term.
KOH is somewhat more soluble in water, but it is pricier.

there's really no advantage to using KOH vs NaOH in plant extractions.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

SWIMfriend
#4 Posted : 7/8/2011 5:08:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've recently been reading about soap-making. It turns at that KOH makes "better" soap than NaOH, by the maker's estimation.

EDIT: And the moral of the story is...there are LOADS of hobbyist/entrepreneurial soap makers out there, tepezcohuite soap is made, sold, and valued by many people, and...there are lots of soap making supply companies out there that sell lots of nice, "food grade" NaOH and KOH.

Buttsack
#5 Posted : 7/8/2011 5:19:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Just in this thread
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...osts&t=22831&p=2
a few people have said that it's much better than sodium hydroxide.

I was hoping it would give better yields for extractions, maybe raise the ph higher. I guess it's just better because it isn't as caustic. Thanks for the help

benzyme
#6 Posted : 7/8/2011 5:21:59 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

both are quite caustic. if you get either in your eye, you're fuct.
as far as claims of higher yields...where is the data to support these claims?

a lab macaque used a similar procedure as Heavenly, last year, except he used xylene: he added vinegar to acidify to 4.18 and PC'd his green goop two times for 40 mins, basified to 12.86 with NaOH, extracted with xylene, added dilute sulfuric; fan-assisted evap, dissolved in hot 60:10 acetone:water, put it in the freezer. applied sonocrystallization and crashed out in the freezer (3X), vac filtered, rinsed with acetone then pet ether, redissolved in 60:10 acetone:water, crashed out and vac filtered a final time.

m.p. 184 - 187, tested with a T.H. Unimelt.

following a pH scale that corresponds to the pKa distribution of the microspecies in solution
is the difference between pulling mostly mescaline, and pulling a lot of other crap and risking
oxidation of your product at excessively high pH, doesn't matter which base you choose.
benzyme attached the following image(s):
0801001719.jpg (47kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
ms.bmp.jpg (39kb) downloaded 129 time(s).
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

dg
#7 Posted : 7/9/2011 2:15:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

made w/lye m.sulphate
dg attached the following image(s):
msulph.jpg (331kb) downloaded 113 time(s).

benzyme
#8 Posted : 7/9/2011 2:55:58 AM

analytical chemist

very nice.

the lab simeon is gonna have another go at an SP extraction, using the same ol' same..dilute
acetic, NaOH, xylene, and dilute sulfuric.