We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
99% Fumaric Acid.. What is the leftover 1% composed of? Options

lorax
#1 Posted : 11/19/2008 2:16:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a friend has gotten 99% fumaric acid as it says on the label. now he is wondering if it will be any good for his use as he has no clue what the other 1% could be.

any ideas?

also when using the FASA method for making dmt fumarate will normal acetone do or does it have to be anhydrous?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

burnt
#2 Posted : 11/19/2008 2:18:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

water is the other 1 % you can try to dessicate it to remove water.

lorax
#3 Posted : 11/19/2008 2:25:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ah ok.. thanks a lot! water isn't really that much of a problem to me.. it'll just take a little longer to dry, i guess. or does the 1% water somehow affect how much fumaric acid to use? in the quick tek for converting a gram of spice to fumarate salt it doesn't say if it was 100% fumaric acid which was used. will a friend need to use 1% more of the 99% fumaric acid for the quick tek?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

burnt
#4 Posted : 11/19/2008 2:49:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^SWIM has no experience with that tek buuuuuuuut sounds like you should be fine its a minor minor difference. Graduated cylinders aren't that accurate anyway.

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 11/19/2008 2:58:54 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

If the rest 1% is water, then baking in the oven at 50 C may help get rid of it. One would be cautious to try higher oven temperatures because it may decompose the fumaric acid.

Acetone really needs to be anhydrous. Some guy I was talking to ages ago said that 100% acetone is basically anhydrous and there might be no products labelled as "Anhydrous Acetone".

The reason is that presence of traces of water will dissolve the newly formed dmt-fumarate in the otherwise insoluble acetone environment where it forms and precipitations may not be seen.

One is always welcome to do pilot experiments with his/her acetone, e.g. dissolve a small amount of spice in acetone, then add FASA. If clouds of precipitation are seen, then the whole system is efficient to use.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

lorax
#6 Posted : 11/19/2008 4:05:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

is epsom salt heptahydrate the thing my friend is looking for? they sell it on ebay for foot baths..

burnt
#7 Posted : 11/19/2008 4:21:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Notice the heptahydrate that means the molecule in this case the epsom salts which is the same as magnesium sulfate (I think) is surrounded by water molecules in this case seven because of the 'hept', so for everyone one molecule of magnesium sulfate (if I have that correct) there is seven molecules of water. Your friend wants anhydrous.

lorax
#8 Posted : 11/19/2008 4:39:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

aaah ok.. now i know what heptahydrate is.

Jorkest
#9 Posted : 11/19/2008 5:23:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

SWIM thinks you will be fine..the spice to fumarate is so easy..SWIM doesnt think you will have any problem...maybe a SLIGHT loss but nothing big...

dmt fumarate is SWIM's new best friend..wonderful with harmine and thh..absolutely wonderful
it's a sound

lorax
#10 Posted : 11/21/2008 9:50:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

could a friend buy magnesium sulfate heptahydrate and dehydrate this in the oven at 50C? he was in the pharmacy today and they had never even heard of epsom salt. they only had the magnesium sulfate heptahydrate.

69ron
#11 Posted : 11/21/2008 6:38:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes. It's very easy to make anhydrous magnesium sulfate at home from Epsom salt. Here’s the steps:

1) Spread some Epsom salt no thicker than an inch on a pan
2) Bake in the oven at 400 F for 2-3 hours. It’s done when hard and powder floats in the air when broken.
3) While still hot, place in an air tight container and close the lid.

When it’s done it's extremely compact and hard. When you break it up, a little powder floats into the air. That's how you now it's done. If you don't see a little powder floating in the air when you break it up, it still contains water and needs to bake a little longer. It also looks different when it anhydrous. It looks dry. If you compare anhydrous magnesium sulfate to Epsom salt, the Epsom salt looks more translucent and the anhydrous magnesium sulfate looks like baby powder.

SWIM uses anhydrous magnesium sulfate he made his self. It work great as a drying agent for acetone.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

lorax
#12 Posted : 11/22/2008 9:34:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

what exactly is epsom salt? here in the pharmacy they have no clue what i am talking about. is there another description for it? i've read something about it coming from the dead sea. what makes this salt special?

lorax
#13 Posted : 11/22/2008 9:53:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

from what i just read i think epsom salt is just MgSO4 (magnesium sulfate) with water attached to it. in the pharmacy they got magnesium sulfate heptahydrate which then seems to turn into anhydrous magnesium sulfate when died in the oven. are my guesses right?

69ron
#14 Posted : 11/22/2008 10:22:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

All pharmacies have Epsom salt that I've seen. It's just another name for magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. Anhydrous magnesium sulfate contains no water while magnesium sulfate heptahydrate contains water of crystallization. To remove the water, you bake it in an oven. Very simple.

Here's a picture of what it looks like at the pharmacy:

That’s from http://www.walgreens.com

I'm sure your local pharmacy has it.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

monkeyboy
#15 Posted : 11/22/2008 1:08:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

to dry up acetone, is it best to crush/powder the dried MgSO4 before putting it into the acetone, or is it good as is?

also, this is prolly common sence- the stuff should be allowed to cool to room temp in airtight container before adding to the 'tone as one wouldnt want sudden boiling of acetone, correct?

lorax
#16 Posted : 11/22/2008 3:40:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

my guess would be to pulverize it beforehand so it will take up as much of the water as possible.

lorax
#17 Posted : 11/23/2008 3:45:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lol.. forgot to put some aluminum foil on top.. - what a mess Pleased

69ron
#18 Posted : 11/23/2008 6:48:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It popped up out of the pan?