We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
South African Supplies Options

rinseonce
#1 Posted : 6/13/2011 9:55:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi all, I'm hoping there are enough fellow South Africans out there to get a vibrant discussion going here about local suppliers and supplies.

I'll start off with my main question: There are several online stores that deliver MHRB to SA but then that's got international shipping (added cost) and the chance than customs may not be happy (unlikely, but still there) - so anyone here had luck/trouble with bringing mimosa hostilis root bark into the country or otherwise knows of a good local source of that or any of the acacia species? I'm weary of acacia hunting for now - I have read about them and am aware that there are a number that would make good dyes but if there is an online shop that would be great.

Of course I am not looking only to take from the community, I can add what I have learned so far that may help others:
* Benzine is apparently the local equivalent of naphtha, easily available at Chamberlains (and probably many other hardware stores)
* Acetone is equally freely available
* As for "lye", I've had mixed success - found a number of drain cleaners claiming to be "casutic soda" BUT they do not indicate percentage, have no ingredient breakdown and so far I have not been able to find any MSDS data on any of the products either. There's always sodium carbonate (washing soda I think it is)

Any input from fellow dye-makers would be greatly appreciated!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.