We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
New age sustainable living for the unemployed. Options

SWIMfriend
#21 Posted : 5/28/2011 9:30:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, first one should recognize that the "thing" they need to step out of is their OWN modes of thought and biases. One does that by OBSERVING how one thinks--perceiving one's pathways and habits of looking at the world. Do that effectively and LOTS of new opportunities and perspectives will spring up for you that were unreachable for you before.

But...on a material level, I'll say that there really is A LOT to be said for ACQUIRING money, yet eschewing materialism and living EXTREMELY FRUGALLY. If one HAS money, but uses it only for gaining FREEDOM (and NOT in being just one more rat scurrying through the consumerist culture), one can find that the really crummy aspects of the culture and the system can NO LONGER GAIN LEVERAGE on him. But that requires BOTH the habit of acquiring money AND the habit of rejecting materialism and the need for crap services, crap merchandise, and crap food. A young person, living with his parents, is nicely positioned to carry out such a task relatively easily.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Apoc
#22 Posted : 5/29/2011 7:06:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIMfriend, I like your talk about examining ones own life, and motivations. However, your practical advice seems both flawed, and contradictory.

SWIMfriend wrote:
^^ There are two burdens that one is under doing work:

1) The actual burden of the work. But actually, this is not much. Everything we do is..."some kind of work."
2) The CONTEXT of the work (usually, the REASON we are doing the work). Perhaps you like to play video games, and wouldn't at all consider that work. But if you were FORCED to play them at the point of a gun, for eight hours straight, five days a week--I think you would get sick of those games very quickly.

Right.... but this seems to support the idea that work blows. It suggests that if you can easily get sick of doing even simple things that you like doing, how on earth are you going to enjoy actual work for pay? Other than the reward of getting paid for it?

Quote:
A personal example: the idea of working X hours to earn Y dollars is truly repugnant to me personally. But I'd GLADLY work with PLEASURE doing exactly the same tasks, just to feel I was helping out a friend. It wouldn't be the WORK that was bothering me (and, with the right ATTITUDE, one can take pleasure from MOST activities), it would be the REASON I was doing the work. So...if one can alter the REASON, then the drudgery can be altered as well.

OK, but this to me doesn't suggest that you will like working, it suggests you don't like the structure that most jobs require of their workers. You may not mind doing stuff for your friend, but if your friend demanded you do x amount of work for him and stick to a tight deadline, you would get sick of that too. So, to me, you're not really saying if one can alter the reason they work, then the drudgery will be decreased. You're saying if you alter the structure in which work is done, then it won't be as burdensome. For example, doing the work whenever you feel like and not working too hard, or working because it is demanded, and no real consequences if you don't meet your friend/boss' expectations. I agree, if you can find a job like that, then go for it. I haven't found anything like that myself.

Quote:
A good example might be something physical--cutting lawns or digging ditches. Most people would consider that HARD WORK--to be avoided. But then again, many people PAY for the opportunity to do hard work, when they join a gym and go workout.

The reasoning is flawed. I have had very physical jobs, and I went in with the same thinking you present. I thought the hard work would be good for me. Wrong. Physical labor is not the same as exercise. Most people don't dig ditches for a living because most of them would end up with chronic back problems and other muscular/skeletal problems. I go to the gym to do healthy exercise that will actually be good for me. If digging ditches was actually a good, healthy exercise, then I would just do that instead of going to the gym. But digging is not particularly good exercise. It does require muscle and heart use, however, it is more likely to strain. Plus, I wouldn't want to be at a gym for more than 2 hours max. Ditch diggers dig all day long, which greatly increases the chance of strain. Ditch digging is probably likely to make most people weaker, not stronger. I realize that diggers have their place in the world, I'm just saying, I wouldn't fool myself in to thinking that digging all day is good for me. If I could find a way out of a ditch digging job, I would. It would only be something I would if I had to.

Quote:
The same can be true of most kinds of work--to utterly change your REASONS for the work can utterly change the EXPERIENCE of the work. To do work purely as a personal discipline, or to watch a simple "number" in your bank account grow to a certain point, can DISPEL A GREAT DEAL OF EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE regarding work...and drudgery.

I'm not so sure. You say that if you change the way you think about your work, that will make the work more tolerable. I worked in a factor assembly line. I would do the same single task all day. It was not difficult, it was just mind numbing. By the time I got out of there, my mind felt like mush. It was like I could literally feel my brain wasting away. It didn't matter what I thought of the job, my mind felt like crap by the time I was done. It didn't matter what I thought of the job, my opinion on the whole experience was irrelevant. The job had an impact on my mind. It was an impact that I didn't like.

When I see you say, "do work purely as a form of personal discipline", to me that's almost like saying, "just give up on what you really want". I could have stayed at that factory job for the rest of my life. I could have said, "ok, I'll let my mind just stay dormant the whole time and do it for the discipline." But you see, I wouldn't want that type of discipline. Why would I want to develop the kind of discipline to put myself through crappy stuff for no reward? If I had no choice but to develop that type of discipline, then I would, but why would I just for the sake of it? I know this topic is not about me, it's about the op, but what I'm saying is relevant because the op has expressed the same things I have.

Your advice is contradictory because you suggested the op avoid the rat race, but then you suggested he work longer than normal hours so that he can afford a house faster. That sounds like the rat race to me.

SWIMfriend wrote:
Nevertheless, we all have to find ways to LIVE--even in an environment we may find oppressive or adversarial--but we DON'T have to blind ourselves to OURSELVES. We DON'T have to mindlessly do drudgery and try to IGNORE how we feel, or TWIST our minds to try to pretend that we like it. And REALIZING THAT, it can then, paradoxically, become possible to perform some things that could be considered "drudgery," now that one's mind is free from the pain and dissonance of trying to AVOID realization of such things.

Quote:
People end up twisting their lives in ENORMOUSLY bizarre directions, in order to avoid facing some simple truths about their life and their circumstances. One can sometimes find that just FACING THE TRUTHS takes away a lot of the pain and drudgery (and I DON'T mean something like saying "yeah, work is drudgery, but I gotta live, so I have to sell my soul in this culture" ).

Are you suggesting that people twisting their lives in bizarre directions is bad? Because you suggested the OP work crazy long hours just for the sake of it, while at the same time saying don't go in to the rat race. Does that not count as a bizarre twist? The last sentence particularly confuses me. You say that facing the truth can take away the drudgery of work, but you don't mean, "yeah, work is drudgery, but I gotta live, so I have to sell my soul in this culture". That seems like the truth you were referring to. How is that not a truth?

SWIMfriend
#23 Posted : 5/29/2011 8:12:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^^ This is not something to argue about. I presented the ideas in the hopes that some might find them useful. If they don't, they're free to ignore them.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#24 Posted : 5/29/2011 3:13:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIMfriend wrote:
^^ This is not something to argue about. I presented the ideas in the hopes that some might find them useful. If they don't, they're free to ignore them.

You cannot prohibit someone from criticising your posts. If you're not willing to have your ideas scrutinised by others, don't post them on the internet.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

SWIMfriend
#25 Posted : 5/29/2011 4:30:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Laban Shrewsbury III wrote:
SWIMfriend wrote:

You cannot prohibit someone from criticising your posts. If you're not willing to have your ideas scrutinised by others, don't post them on the internet.

So then....you're saying that I can't criticize someone's posts (which I wasn't even doing), only they can criticize mine?

Anyway, I'm finding this a strange situation! I haven't come to this thread to criticize ANYONE (or their posts--or prohibit anyone from anything). Nor do I come to try to DEFEND anything from criticism. I came to offer assistance (by offering different perspectives for consideration) to someone who ASKED for assistance (and ideas).

Actually, the proper way to see and consider this thread, is that cross-discussions between secondary posters are pointless--the point of the thread should be to offer SUGGESTIONS and ADVICE to the OP.

I don't intend to offer OBJECTIVE TRUTH in any of my posts in this thread (so posters who have criticized the "absolute truth value" of my posts are misunderstanding the spirit in which they're offered); I intend to offer SUGGESTIONS FOR CONSIDERATION which, if they're not found useful, can simply be ignored with no offense taken by me (or need for response). Sorry if there's confusion about that.

Dorge
#26 Posted : 5/29/2011 6:19:47 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

This sort of banter is not helpful... Smells ripe of ego..

BUT THIS IS REALLY HELPFUL. Ianto Evens is an amazing teacher and author. And the class pretty much happens in a little village made of cob. Amazing.... I go there for work weekends just to learn. We once carried an entire tree out of the forest. He taught us to lift it up as a group. It was so light it blue my mind! He teaches the most revolutionary ideas that can be easily implemented.

Off The Treadmill! Live a Simpler Life.
Start Date:  Sep 30 2011
End Date:  Oct 2 2011
Cost:  $240
Accommodations:  Includes all meals, camping is available free of charge
Registration, Discounts and Related Information: 
http://www.cobcottage.com/registration
Instructors:  Ianto Evans, Linda Smiley & Guests
Description: 
A life-changing weekend! Possibly the most valuable investment you could ever make. For people who pay too much rent or mortgage, who work too much or feel money is scarce. Life is brief, don’t waste it doing things that are uninspiring, ugly or at odds with your conscience. A weekend of practical tools, techniques and tips from lifetime experts. This will transform your life! This course will include financial advice, philosophical insights as well as hands-on experience of practical skills for improving self-reliance. Possible practicals inculde home heating, car maintenance, starting a food garden, bread making, etc. plus a tour of the dozen cob and natural buildings on site. Don't miss this one! 15 people only
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

SWIMfriend
#27 Posted : 5/29/2011 6:48:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cob is GREAT; and I've been interested in it for a long time.

What tends to bum me out is that one STILL has to consider all sorts of property taxes (which in America can sometimes be really RIDICULOUSLY expensive).

Here's an interesting tidbit for those who might not know, in America: In the western states in particular, it's not too difficult to get a MINING CLAIM/PERMIT on tracts of Federal govt. land--mostly in the western states. Usually, the claim size given is 10 acres (or multiples of 10 acres). One has to fill out a LOT of paperwork, and make a case that there ARE mineable minerals on the site (but, if one knows some of the tricks, this is not at all difficult--at least in some western states).

When the claim is granted by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) (for a $189 filing fee), one has FULL and PRIVATE access to the land, which includes putting up buildings, etc. A "report" must be made each year regarding your use of your "mine." One must EITHER pay a $140 fee each year OR file in one's report how one made at least $100 worth of "improvement" to the mine site over the year. That's not much, and can include, putting up buildings/sheds, etc., drilling a well, marking lines where the "mine" will be, etc. Even if you DON'T make any "improvements" other than your initial building, it still costs only $140/year to maintain the claim indefinitely. Here's a listing from the CA BLM on the details. Under these circumstances, you don't pay any "property taxes" because you don't own the property--you lease it (more or less for free) from the federal government, on federal land.

Apoc
#28 Posted : 5/30/2011 4:09:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIMfriend wrote:

My friend, I didn't see this as arguing. As you said, you presented ideas. I didn't really understand those ideas, so I questioned them, for whatever reason I was interested in the ideas presented in this thread. It was just a regular discussion to me. Sorry if you're no longer interested.

PREV12