We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
russian olive status ? Options

Felnik
#1 Posted : 5/16/2011 2:53:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been interested in the Russian Olive tree as an alternative harmine source. They grow all over the place in my neck of the woods.

I can't seem to find anything really definitive on this. threads on the subject seem to end with no solid conclusions. There is only one fairly extensive experience writeup to found on the web. http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=9062

The tea from the bark seems very much like ayahuasca vine, it has many of the same characteristics except much more bitter to taste.
It seems to have MAOI qualities but i have yet to conclude anything solid.

The leaves have definite activity when smoked. I imagine a leaf soak in grain alcohol is in order at this point.

I wonder why there isn't more info on this.

Has anyone come to any solid conclusions on this yet ?

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Mydriasis
#2 Posted : 5/16/2011 5:24:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Never heard of it, maybe it's something to experiment on further Very happy. If you do experiment on some let us know.
It's been fun. Thanks for all the wisdom.

Xt
#3 Posted : 5/16/2011 6:43:16 PM

Pick up the torch. Pleased

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 5/16/2011 8:09:25 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

I have a bunch around me and was actively researching it about a year ago. I love how the leaves are glittery, they make for such pretty foliage. I went out to collect some on several occasions but then I moved houses and I currently have no clue where the heck those bags wound up. My only question or concern with extracting/using this for harmalas is that I'm not sure what other alkaloids or compounds are present within the bark/leaves. Do you have any information on this? I'm going to look through some journals when I get home tonight and see what, if anything, I can find.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Enoon
#5 Posted : 5/16/2011 9:22:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

not sure if this is of any use, but well here is a publication...
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Felnik
#6 Posted : 5/16/2011 9:59:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Right now it seems the leaves have more activity than
The bark . The trees are putting a lot if energy into the leaves this time of the
Year .
And they are flowering at the moment. I will do a careful test using
A strong tea made from the leaves. The true test will be what happens
When a good dose of spice is introduced to it.
I made a tea from the bark last week and noticed some subtle but strange
Things when combined with spice . There is a caapi-like quality .
There is something very different because these trees are rooted in the
Local ecosystem unlike caapi. Wich is obviously not native to my region.
There was a distinctive localness to what I was feeling .
The way I began to see the local plants was intrigueing.
I really think there is something to this .
I think I need a tek to make a super strong concentration from the
Leaf material to really see what the deal is . Any thoughts on that ?
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

SnozzleBerry
#7 Posted : 5/17/2011 2:51:25 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Dagger wrote:
Why not try basing or do a manske on the brew to see if anything precipitates?

I'm gonna be going to my favorite russian olive-saturated patch of woods tomorrow to collect a bunch of leaves. I'll probably do a side by side of a/b and manske +/- a/b and see what happens...assuming the collection goes well, I could possibly have something to say by this weekend.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Dorge
#8 Posted : 5/17/2011 4:08:47 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

I've been really interested in this plant for a while. A concentrated leaf extract for changa might be worth a shot with this one too. Good to know that the leaves are showing more activity!
Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases

Chemicals in: Elaeagnus angustifolia L. (Elaeagnaceae) -- Russian Olive, Silver Berry

Chemicals

2-METHYL-1,2,3,4-TETRAHYDRO-BETA-CARBOLINE Bark: HHB

ALKALOIDS Bark 2,000 ppm; HHB

CALLIGONINE Bark: HHB JBH

DIHYDROHARMAN Bark: HHB

ELAEAGNINE Plant: JSG

HARMAN Shoot: HHB

N(-METHYL-TETRAHYDROHARMOL Bark: HHB

N-METHYL-TETRAHYDROHARMOL Plant: JSG

TETRAHYDROHARMAN Bark: HHB

TETRAHYDROHARMOL Bark: HHB

http://www.shaman-austra...ndex.php?showtopic=14784

This plant is invasive and no one cares if it's harvested as well. Finding reasons to harvest it would do the world some good.
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

SnozzleBerry
#9 Posted : 5/17/2011 4:42:02 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Does anyone know if the related species E. umbellata (Autumn Olive) has any alkaloids in it? I'm fairly certain we have both species around here and they're fairly similar in appearance...I'm gonna have to bust out the taxonomy books again, Laughing.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

۩
#10 Posted : 5/17/2011 4:49:49 PM

Brew some up and blast it with UV?

richierich_931
#11 Posted : 5/19/2011 4:49:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hmm... coincidence? I was looking over some old posts (Russian Olive Extraction) a few days ago and was wondering if anyone had made any headway recently.

The extent of my research got as far as collecting leaves and loosing them somewhere.

E. angustifolia along with phalaris and phragmaites grasses grow literally everywhere here so it makes sense to make use of it all. Warmer weather is coming along with a sohxlet so hopefully I'll be more motivated this year.
Why can't the supernatural just be, natural? After all, supernatural is just a term for aspects of nature that we do not understand...

Listen to your heart, it's telling you you're homesick for a place you've never been

Dorge
#12 Posted : 5/22/2011 5:13:47 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

the phragmites reed does grow all over. You never hear much about people working with it though.
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

SnozzleBerry
#13 Posted : 5/22/2011 7:06:27 PM

omnia sunt communia!

۩ wrote:
Brew some up and blast it with UV?

Water brew of E. umbellata did not fluoresce under UV. Will be trying with acidic ipa soak this evening to confirm. My old spot is apparently currently under development and has been massively hacked away Crying or very sad. I will be attempting to locate a new patch of angustifolia from which to procure leaves for a manske and a/b.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

richierich_931
#14 Posted : 5/28/2011 5:07:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The only 'official' text I've found states an extraction with chloroform, and that both harmon and tetrahydroharmon were extracted. Does that mean that the boil down method won't work?

Alkaloids of e. angustifolia
Why can't the supernatural just be, natural? After all, supernatural is just a term for aspects of nature that we do not understand...

Listen to your heart, it's telling you you're homesick for a place you've never been

Felnik
#15 Posted : 6/1/2011 9:55:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is an 3 week alcohol soak of fresh ground up russian olive leaves they were picked while the trees were flowering.

Does this qualify as flourescing under black light i can't tell ?
Felnik attached the following image(s):
russianolive fluresc 6:11.jpg (50kb) downloaded 1,039 time(s).
Arthur C. Clarke

Dorge
#16 Posted : 6/2/2011 6:12:24 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

Ummmm yes... Yes it does.

rOm
#17 Posted : 6/2/2011 9:18:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like good news to me Pleased
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

SHroomtroll
#18 Posted : 6/2/2011 10:11:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

looks very yummy, how does russian olive tea taste compared to rue or caapi? would be great to have a soutce of harmalas that doesnt taste death Smile

rOm
#19 Posted : 6/2/2011 10:20:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

death's taste good to me. death with vinegar taste yuuuk!
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Felnik
#20 Posted : 6/2/2011 7:07:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hypathetically of course what would be the most optimum tech
For a leaf extraction ? A salt thing or an A/B .
Me thinks this has potential
Arthur C. Clarke

123NEXT»