We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Alvarius Forager Options

CasperRosewater
#1 Posted : 5/15/2011 11:49:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello all:

I live in the northern most reaches of the Sonoran Desert and have been making an academic study of the Bufo Avarius toad for the past few months. It seems that reliable information is difficult to come by for so arcane a knowledge ("baseless, excessive speculation" seems to be the norm).

My experience is considerable but more common and so Alvarius is new to me.

For now I am learning as much as I can about identifying and foraging. I have encountered many toads and am very comfortable catching and handling them using sanctioned techniques that ensure the least stress possible. I have not yet encountered Alvarius but I know with certainty that his or her distribution overlaps well into my area and I have read published scientific reports of his presence just north of me. That would dispel any concern that I might be too far north. He is close without question.

If at some point I must, I will travel to other proven locales but for now I am trying to stay local given that there is perennial water very close by that would seem prime habitat. When adequate monsoons arrive I have little doubt that our paths will cross but for now I am hoping to find individuals who remain active year-round in the perennial waters.

It seems that the best identification method would be to listen for his "advertisement call" but I have encountered a specie that sounds identical to Alvarius (at least to my ears) but looks nothing at all like him. Reliable sources indicate that a very limited number of species of toad would be distributed in my area; I have heard audio recordings of them all and only one (Alvarius) should sound like what I am hearing. So I am at an minor impasse with the aural location method.

I am keeping detailed notes and a journal and so might at some point be willing to share information that I can deem reliable. In the meantime, if anyone has advice or can point to reliable resources concerning the conflict I encountered with the aural location, I would be most grateful.

P.S. I am aware that any of the world's best herpetologists are just an email away but I worry they might become disillusioned or annoyed if too much attention is paid to the specie.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ljosalfar
#2 Posted : 5/16/2011 12:16:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, Casper... you sound like a dedicated and organized amateur naturalist!
Care to post photos of the species you have been encountering? I for one would enjoy taking a look at the toads you've found.
BTW, species is both singular and plural... specie refers to coins and has nothing to do with taxonomy.
Best,
L
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman

CasperRosewater
#3 Posted : 5/16/2011 1:06:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply and the spelling clarification. I'll try to get some photos. They look very similar to the Woodhouses' Toad and the size correlates (usually smaller than a fist) but if you'll scroll down and click on the audio icon you will hear it's call.

What I am hearing most closely resembles the Alvarius "Advertisement Call." (Again, scroll down for the audio icon.) I'd say the calls are identical. I have that same Alvarius audio file (and others identical from other reliable sources) on my notebook computer and I've actually played it back as they called in my periphery. My recording was identical except a half-pitch lower (which is probably just a technical, sound file difference). I can't tell for sure if they responded to my recording because there were already 3 or 4 toads vocalizing to each other but there's little question that the calls are identical. I'm perplexed. If one listens to all the toad calls at that same site, none of the known 7 in distribution sound anything like Alvarius except Alvarius. I'm starting to think that it is an introduced or invasive species that simply sounds like Alvarius.

Thanks again.

xebiche
#4 Posted : 5/16/2011 5:15:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My Avatar suggests that I live in Tucson. The toads live here too. They do not come out until the rains begin. Just wait.

Pools have other species of frogs and toads. However I have never seen any Bufo toads appear before the monsoon season arrives. Contact me with PM if you have any further questions.
Honor The Game And It Will Honor You Back

Enoon
#5 Posted : 5/16/2011 1:20:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

welcome to the forum casper,

please be kind to the toads!

how about regular dmt, have you tried?
what about your reasons for doing psychedelics?

Are you interested in milking the toads for their psychedelic properties or are you just looking for them because you find them interesting? I probably don't need to tell you this, but please remember to be respectful to these living creatures.

much love
Enoon
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction