We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sludge disposal Options

emphase
#1 Posted : 5/14/2011 12:45:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello everyone, I was wondering where you guys dispose of your sludge after you're done extracting all the goods from it?
I got a couple jugs with just lye/bark sludge and another with naptha/lye/sludge(extraction gone bad)

Whats the safest way to dispose of this? I tried searching and read a few people flush it down the drain, but was wondering if that would be ok? even with the batch that has the naptha in it?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 5/14/2011 1:03:45 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Lye is routinely used as drain cleaner...sludge down the drain or toilet is fine (and might even clear out any blockage you may have Wink .

You were right to question naphtha; please don't pour it down the drain, not even household osmosis pumps can clear out polycyclics from a water supply (see gasland for a truly horrific example). If you leave your container open (or remove all the naphtha and put it in a wide-mouthed container or dish) the naphtha will evaporate over time, leaving you with good ole sludge you can pour down the drain.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

emphase
#3 Posted : 5/14/2011 1:15:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the quick reply. I was pretty sure the lye sludge wouldn't be a problem. the other jug I have that contains the naptha never seperated for some reason. I don't think I correctly mixed lye/water when I did the extract, so maybe ill leave it to evap for a few weeks.
Thanks again!