We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Re-use naptha Options

cytokinesis420
#1 Posted : 4/17/2011 5:56:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My friend was wondering how many times he could re-use the naptha in a freeze precipitation process. When he pours off the naptha from the crystals he dumps the excess solution back into the base soup along with fresh naptha and repeats the process. He's wondering how many times he could do this before excess plant oils and other impurities start to accumulate in the naptha.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

MelCat
#2 Posted : 4/17/2011 6:38:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll reuse it until it turns a pretty dark yellow.

Once it reaches that color, I'll evap all of it for Honey Spice.

Good stuff I tell ya...
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

endlessness
#3 Posted : 4/17/2011 10:10:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ff freeze precipitation is still working fine, I would say keep reusing it. When I used to extract with naphtha I liked to make one last fresh clean pull after the reused pulls just to see if what I can still get out of the mimosa soup was significantly different with fresh pull than with the reused pull. That way you can see if its worth it to stop reusing that naphtha.

Once youre done, ideally distill the solvent, but not many people can, so do like melodic catastrophe and evaporate it all. Then you can use a bit of fresh warm solvent to recrystallize that goo and get a few more crystals out of it. Good luck

cytokinesis420
#4 Posted : 4/25/2011 10:18:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the input,

my friend ran into emulsion problems when trying to re-use the solvent more than two times; he was still able to freeze precip some crystals but there was significantly less. A white cloud formed around the bottom of the jar and would not crystallize, he couldn't tell if this was soap or dmt that couldn't crystallize. He plans on letting the excess solvent evap and re-xing the yellow goo.

endlessness
#5 Posted : 4/26/2011 3:25:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like good plan to evap and re-x. Or you can also try freezing again while there is still a bit of naphtha to evap and see if with the saturation it will form better crystals.

justine
#6 Posted : 4/26/2011 3:40:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Sounds like good plan to evap and re-x. Or you can also try freezing again while there is still a bit of naphtha to evap and see if with the saturation it will form better crystals.

In my experience, if you don't use too much naphta for each pull evaping and freeze precipitating again yields nothing, just two days ago I combined a total of 400ml of "spent" clear A/B naphta,
evaped it down with a fan to 50ml and freeze precip'd it at -20C and it didn't yield anything. However it might be useful for someone with a freezer that doesn't go under -7C.
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake