We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
BLAB > Lye safety question Options

Red Eclipse
#1 Posted : 4/16/2011 5:29:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If one were to follow the BLAB tek on 500g of MHRB, using 1L vinegar + (250g lye + 500ml h20) + 2.5L h20... how caustic would the solution be?

It totals about 3.5L of liquid/moosh with about 250-275g lye added, my question is: is this solution still caustic enough to scar? I'll use safety precautions regardless (gloves, glasses, long sleeve shirt, etc), but it will just help my peace of mind.

Thanks Smile

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 4/16/2011 9:00:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah definitely it will be a caustic solution, but there is nothing to fear if you just wear safety equipment as you said, and have a bottle of vinegar at hand to neutralize spills just in case Smile

By the way, not just glasses, but goggles, that protect your eyes from all sides!

Good luck!

Ice House
#3 Posted : 4/17/2011 7:19:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

IMO you splash that in your eye and you may loes it or the vision you have with it. Lye is very easy to work with, take the proper safety precautions and LYE is the most stable, safest cleanest, easiest, base to aquire. Get careless or make a mistake and it is capable of difiguring you and or blinding you. Use it resposibly.

With lye I'm always thinking three moves ahead. Always have an out with it. Have vinager on hand, Use propper PPE, good ventilation. Use glass or plastic that can handle the heat generated.

If your not exactly sure what you are doing then dont do it.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.