We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Inventiveness Thread: Improvised extraction/growth/smoking equipment Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 4/10/2011 10:32:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So in this thread we could collect different attempts from Nexians to create improvised equipment used for growth of ethnobotanicals, extractions, smoking or other related processes.

I start with a few:

Extraction:

Improvised vacuum filtering using vacuum cleaner

Cosmic Lion's Positive pressure filtering using pump

The Herbal Percolator

Smoking

The Key V2

The Inspirator mkII

Not exactly in the same line but can be a source for ideas: Equipment that makes life easier

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Enoon
#2 Posted : 4/10/2011 11:06:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

Bulk Steamer,
basically copied from here. It's an apparatus to pasteurize bulk substrate (for growing mushrooms) but you could probably also steam food in there if you wanted to Razz.
The way it's used is: placing the bulk substrate at field capacity, i.e. moisture levels are as desired for spawning, into bags that are suited for high temperatures and only loosely sealed to let out the hot air - place them inside the steamer, turn on steam, wait about 60-90 min or until the tank is empty.

Using an Ikea tub, some adapters for tubing, a connector for two rainwater collectors and tubing meant for washing machines, plus a steam-tapestry remover and some wire mesh:

tapestry remover:

set-up:

I drilled a hole the appropriate size into the plastic tub somewhere below half-height and used the rain-water-tank-connector to create a water-tight adapter between inside and outside the tub. I suppose there are alternatives using flanges or other things.
On the inside I used the washing-machine tubing because it resists high temperature. I pierced it with a nail about every two centimeters so the steam would be distributed evenly in the tub. Then I used wire mesh like this:

to create the level on which to lay out the bulk substrate to be steamed. On the outside I had to use some adapters in order to connect the hose of the steamer to this rain-water-tank-connector thing, but I found the necessary ones in the hardware department.

I used one of these meat thermometers to check the temperature inside the tub while the steamer is running and it goes up to 91°C, but this is outside of the bags.

I've used this for several of my bulk grows and never had any problems with contaminations, so my impression is it works well, and makes life very easy as far as pasteurization goes.

Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

LandOfOz
#3 Posted : 4/11/2011 3:09:47 AM

Oz

id add the jug things with tubes from the stb forum. best technique ive ever used.

Enoon
#4 Posted : 4/12/2011 10:35:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

Link or elaboration please!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

alzabo
#5 Posted : 4/12/2011 7:33:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Possibly this one; Captain Obvious' STB Tool TEK:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=17470
Easily separate the top layer of solvent by squeezing a soft jug with a tube coming out the top.

Quote:
Simple, effective, nomore droplets of base. no pipette work. clean, sealed, non spill able, effective method for the common STB. ideas gathered from far too many hrs hovering over heptane with a pipette, a friend, and the local community.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.