We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
5-HTP Options

۩
#1 Posted : 3/6/2011 7:55:48 PM

wikipedia wrote:
Direct and indirect evidence for possible yet unproven risks and side effects associated with 5-HTP when overdosed:

* Heart valve damage or disease (cardiac fibrosis).[19][20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan

I'm confused by this. Can anyone help me understand if it's possible that occasionally taking a couple hundred mg of 5-HTP will cause heart valve damage. Thank you

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Shaolin
#2 Posted : 3/6/2011 8:45:35 PM

Stiletto Stoner

The first study talks about long-term administration (90 days) in rats.

Gustafsson BI, Tømmerås K, Nordrum I, Loennechen JP, Brunsvik A, Solligård E, Fossmark R, Bakke I, Syversen U, Waldum H (March 2005). "Long-term serotonin administration induces heart valve disease in rats". Circulation 111 (12): 1517–22. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.0000159356.42064.48. PMID 15781732.

The second one is free. G33k on.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC1850896/
Xu J, Jian B, Chu R, Lu Z, Li Q, Dunlop J, Rosenzweig-Lipson S, McGonigle P, Levy RJ, Liang B (December 2002). "Serotonin mechanisms in heart valve disease II: the 5-HT2 receptor and its signaling pathway in aortic valve interstitial cells". Am. J. Pathol. 161 (6): 2209–18. PMID 12466135. PMC 1850896.

Don't know much about the 5-HTP effects but I wouldn't conlucude such thing (danger when occasionally ingesting) after quickly skimming through the summary of the first study. The second one is too much fo' me.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

rOm
#3 Posted : 3/6/2011 9:04:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would be more concern about possible interaction with harmalas TBH. serotonin syndrome ... Yuck!
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

mindash
#4 Posted : 3/7/2011 12:30:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

in my case apparently not

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 3/7/2011 5:41:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Taking 5HTP occasionally is not a major worry with regards to the heart.Taking lots, every day, is a different matter I suspect.There is a type of cancer called the Carcinoid Syndrome which is largely characterised by excessive serotonin production which quite often causes heart valve problems, usually affecting the right-sided valves (tricuspid, pulmonary) but on rare occasions does effect the aortic and mitral (Left-sided) valves-but only if you have a little hole in the heart called the Foramen Ovale.We all have one but in the majority of people it closes around the time of birth.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

PowerfulMedicine
#6 Posted : 3/7/2011 6:11:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shaolin wrote:

The second one is free. G33k on.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC1850896/
Xu J, Jian B, Chu R, Lu Z, Li Q, Dunlop J, Rosenzweig-Lipson S, McGonigle P, Levy RJ, Liang B (December 2002). "Serotonin mechanisms in heart valve disease II: the 5-HT2 receptor and its signaling pathway in aortic valve interstitial cells". Am. J. Pathol. 161 (6): 2209–18. PMID 12466135. PMC 1850896.

Don't know much about the 5-HTP effects but I wouldn't conlucude such thing (danger when occasionally ingesting) after quickly skimming through the summary of the first study. The second one is too much fo' me.

From what I can gather of the second paper, the gist of it is that 5-HTP causes activity at receptors that can stimulate the development of plaque and collagen on mostly the right-side heart valves, but the paper still does not offer any concrete conclusions besides that it is probably bad to be chronically ingesting 5-HTP for prolonged periods of time and that left-side heart valves can possibly be damaged as well if 5-HTP is used chronically with MAOI's.
Maay-yo-naze!

SWIMmingly
#7 Posted : 4/10/2011 2:06:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

not to do with the OP's question, and I won't go into too much detail, but my experience taking 5-HTP to help with depression, i had strange sleep paralysis like side effects, like a living nightmare! occasionally, when falling asleep i would still be awake and conscious to a degree, without having any control over my body (couldn't move a muscle), and not being able to open my eyes. I'd have these intense hallucinations / delusions that there was somebody in my house / room with very negative intentions, standing over me but i couldn't move. couldn't even make a noise, ie. full on paralysis! scary stuff!
Everything i post is purely hypothetical