We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Spreading the Seeds Options

obliguhl
#1 Posted : 3/30/2011 9:07:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Problem

For us, talking about psychedelics is a normal thing to do. I presume, that these substances are part of life of most community members. Yet, we are a small group of people, disconnected from the broader society - at least in this regard. Perhaps some of you had negative experiences telling friends, family or strangers about your relationship with these mind altering substances. The notion that all so called "drugs" are bad is deeply rooted in many industrialized cultures. Talking about your experiences only makes the situation worse, because almost noone can or want to relate to them.

I would think, that this is because of misinformation and negative conditioning. Something must be done, to change culture, so a real dialogue can be started.

The Approach

Part of the problem is, that many concepts of psychedelic "drug" use are so foreign, people shut down immediatly. But, every bit of openess in people could be crucial in our persuit of personal freedom.

An Example: Let's say you are on trial for posession of drug use and there is only one member of the jury who got it's mind changed a little by our work...this could mean the world for the convict!

It is said, that a person needs to hear something 3 times in a row before he believes it to be true. I'm not advocating any kind of manipulation. But exposure to concepts of psychedelic travels in a meaningful, non creepy way can make a big difference...as faint as they might be.

Planting small seeds, one at a time, we can achieve great things if lots of people are participating.

The Proposal(s)

-A website with a carefully crafted message, possibly linking to scientific articles and the option to contact someone to talk (propably would only work if someone already shows SOME interest). Flyers could be made and spread.

-Printing out scientific articles about the use of psychedelics. These could be spread strategically. You could "forget" an article about psychedelic psychotherapy on the train most med students take for instance...

-Hosting related events as recently suggested and ADVERTISING them. Advertising them makes people aware of this culture, and this, can somehow create comfort. It's like the people you see everyday on the train...you never talk to them, but you would if they'd make the first sstep...because you've become accustomed to them

I would like to have some feedback on the ethics of aforementioned ideas

Thank you!!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Shadowman-x
#2 Posted : 3/30/2011 9:13:07 PM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

These are all fantastic ideas, Obliguhl, and i'm in your full support
in my experience, people are more willing to talk about the psychedelic experience once they already trust and respect your opinion.
Waiting until a conversational foothold has been established is one of the best ways to bring them into the light of other people, but we must also be aware that psychedelics are simply an avenue towards the destination: Awareness, compassion, joy, love, sympathy, creativity

there are many routes to get there, and I think expressing more of your interests and feelings of spirituality and positive messages would be a better way to get people to listen to you in a conversation before bringing up psychedelic use.

"Wow, how did you come to these conclusions?"

"Well you see....there's this very interesting mollecule, which is currently circulating in your bloodstream right now.. Wink "

That may have been an overly drawn out exaggerated example, but the point still stands that once you have established yourself to someone, they are far more likely to take what you say seriously.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

obliguhl
#3 Posted : 3/30/2011 9:16:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Shadow, but the idea wasn't to totally convince them. I agree that living a good life were psychedelics are a part is propably a better way to communicate the benefits.
I was more poking at the possibility of making people more OPEN to these ideas, so they won't outright reject them, if the topic comes up...

I propose to do this by gradually raising the awareness in more or less subtle ways...

Shadowman-x
#4 Posted : 3/30/2011 9:19:23 PM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

Absolutely, and showing evidence towards the benefits of these substances and this lifetsyle for the greater public is a good idea. <3
<3
<3
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#5 Posted : 3/31/2011 3:37:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the internet is far and away the most practical means of educating people on a wide scale, and everything else is basically a waste of time in comparison. Memetic warfare is no longer waged using dead trees and ink, and nobody ever discarded their received prejudices on the strength of a leaflet they found on a train, so why waste time, money and effort?

Establishing another website is not the most productive use of resources either. The web has its full quotient of psychedelic resources for people to find should they wish. Why labour to create an entry on pg.9 of a google search?

The smartest move is bring psychedelics to where people hang out online: centralised sites with high rates of cross-traffic where users are amenable to discovering new things: social networks, twitter, youtube, blogs.

YouTube videos describing the proper use of psychedelics, the implications of the experience, how it fits into your life and some entertaining/interesting digressions around the topic are IMO the absolute best thing one can do for the cause right now. Case in point: Joe Rogan's DMT speech has over 2 million views and counting. People are undeniably interested in this stuff, and they want to hear more from people in the know. A second rate stand-up comic/part time MMA commentator ought not be leading the pack in this pursuit.

Twenty years ago guys like Terence McKenna had to travel around in meatspace, book conference rooms for a few hours and hope people showed up to listen. Today we have only to talk into a web cam and hit the upload button and we speak to an audience potentially a thousand times larger than anything Terence ever saw in his career. Never before has it been so easy to spread truth, and it can be done from where you now sit.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

EquaL Observer
#6 Posted : 3/31/2011 4:11:37 AM

Ross

I like the idea of a website on which you can order pre-made pamphlets/leaflets so individuals or groups can have open stalls in their local vicinity.

All excellent ideas indeed, ideas are changing rapidly... at this rate it seems I could sit back and watch the mushroom kingdom rise by itself but getting involved sounds like a good way to spend a life.

I dunno about anyone else, but what it is for me is the sheer amount that psychedelic plants have done for me in everyday life! I feel people are missing out on something so simple... it's not even about the 'drugs'. It's about escaping from escapism/consumerism and moving towards the creative and simply making good use of the time granted to us.

Silly youtube videos get 64 million views etc... how many minutes wasted... McKenna videos get views in the hundreds :/

I've got many projects on the go at the moment - it seems too many, but some involve making money so to make a website like you have described. Each person SHOULD have a website - we worry that nothing can be done but cower under massive organisational power. But 1 human nowadays has the capacity to become an organisation - it's simply about communication.

Few people in the nexus even post on the CEL forum... why don't we just make the nexus the forum of the said 'organisation' we are discussing... a cooperative (large-partnership) organisation which is a microcosm of what we wish to see in the larger scale societal structure...

Sorry for hijacking and thank you for your (much needed) enthusiasm!

And yes, youtube videos are an excellent idea... I see people like 'neurosoup' - good, but not great. We need all the graphic designy flashy things which corporations misuse to sell you their junk. Turn yer webcams on and get busy Smile
Your depth is your integrity

obliguhl
#7 Posted : 3/31/2011 9:48:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I think the internet is far and away the most practical means of educating people on a wide scale, and everything else is basically a waste of time in comparison.

While i agree that reaching people through the internet is far easier, i disagree with the notion, that it'S a waste of time. Why do companys advertise offline? Because seeing something in real life makes a whole different impact on the life of people. It definatly seems more real. Sure, a flyer is quickly overlooked. But creative guerilla marketing is not. What i intend to do, is giving folks on the street a tangible way of getting in touch with things.
Like i said, i do not expect to convince anyone. The only goal is to raise awareness, so that "uncle joe" is more responsive to the well made youtube video his niece posted on her facebook.

The website thing was meant to integrate with offline marketing efforts. The idea of having a site were people could order flyers and stuff is interesting, but i don'T think they'd be effective if they would not be made in a very very creative way.

I think it's best to have an approach, were the offline and online world melts together. Afterall, we live in both.