We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
I know it's highly improbable but...spores/mycelium surviving bleach + pc? Options

SnozzleBerry
#1 Posted : 3/21/2011 3:51:19 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

So, while attempting to narrow down some possible contamination vectors, I dumped out a pint of apparently very vigorous syzygy LC. I didn't scrub down the jar, but filled it with bleach-water and allowed it to sit for a day or two. After rinsing it out, the jar looked relatively clean and I filled it with tap water, 10ml of karo and pressure cooked it for 15 minutes (along with another pint of LC mix).

Now, here I am about 2-3 days later (having done absolutely nothing to the jars since removing them from the pc) and one of the jars looks normal, but the other one has the circle-ish myc-looking clumps sticking to a few areas of the jar and I started shaking the jar yesterday morning and it looks as if small clumps of myc are floating through the non-inoculated solution. Is it possible some spores or syzygy myc survived the 15 minutes of 15 psi?

It's not really that important as I have a other, "normal" LC, but I was curious if anyone had heard of such a thing happening. I'm going to continue shaking it and treating it as though it has been inoculated and see what happens Cool
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 3/21/2011 7:12:05 PM

The Great Namah

Bleach, yes, no doubt some spores will survive

The PC...maybe? Sure it's possible.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

elphologist1
#3 Posted : 3/22/2011 1:26:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Probably some spores (from previous grows) were in the room and found their way into the jar during handling after the sterilisation.

elphologist

Enoon
#4 Posted : 3/22/2011 7:45:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

What kind of jars are you using Snozz? I mean how are they sealed?
When I open my LCs to toss I usually PC them before just to make sure everything is dead.

I find it hard to imagine that spores got in after the sterilization and if they did, you should probably rethink your sealing measures. On the other hand, if the spores or something else were still alive after PCing for 15 min @ 15 PSI and bleach you have a very hardy organism there... Maybe the elves innocculated your jar while you were looking away?
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

SnozzleBerry
#5 Posted : 3/22/2011 1:41:26 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

The procedure for cleaning the jars was as follows:

1 jar was emptied, then scrubbed down with a sponge, then filled with bleach water. After a day or so, it was rinsed out thoroughly, then filled with water/karo. Then the top was put on (I use a pint ball jar with no air-port and an RTV silicone injection port) and it was PC'd for 15 minutes.

The second jar was emptied, then filled with bleach water. It too sat for about a day, alongside the other one, then it was rinsed, prepped and pc'd.

The only difference between the two jars is that the other jar was not wiped out with a sponge prior to bleaching, so I'm assuming some spores were stuck to the jar and managed to survive the PC.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור