We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Aluminum pots vs ayahuasca- newbie question sorry!! Options

muLogick
#1 Posted : 3/17/2011 2:26:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi

I only own an aluminium pot. I searched around and read all the advice about not using aluminum pots for mimosa preparation for ayahuasca. But as far as I can see it must be related to adding acids or bases? And I read several statements to the effect that plain water extraction of e.g. mimosa hostilis is effective enough but just requires long time/more runs.

So can I use an aluminum pot for preparing mimosa bark if i use only plain water or is that also not safe for some reason?

I'm asking because I'm very broke right now and would prefer not to buy a stainless steel pot, but of course I don't want to risk my health drinking a xx% alu solution. Smile

Sorry for the perhaps ignorant and newbie-ish question.

Mu

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Phlux-
#2 Posted : 3/17/2011 4:43:20 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

this may be pure bullshit - but its how i live my life : never even touch aluminium.
imho it will cause only pain in ones life - horrid feeling stuff.
i try not to keep any in the house.
i realized about 2 weeks ago i even have a physical reaction to aluminium - if i work with it for say 6hr my hands swell up until i cant really use them properly - the next day all areas that had contact - the skin seems dead - takes about a week to recover fully.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

jamie
#3 Posted : 3/17/2011 5:40:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

yea I wouldnt cook anything in aluminum.
Long live the unwoke.

Entropymancer
#4 Posted : 3/17/2011 5:41:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Yeah, if you're not using any acids in the brewing process, I don't know of any reason why brewing aya would be worse than cooking in the pans... but personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable cooking in aluminum regardless.

Garfield
#5 Posted : 3/17/2011 5:48:12 PM
Sascha

In addition to that aluminum is suspected to be a factor in the cause of Alzheimer´s disease.

I don´t have this kind of strong reaction, like Phlux has, but I have more than an aversion against this kind of metal.
I know it sounds a bit overstated, but nearly every acid (including vinegar and tannic acid), -sulfate, -chlorate, -carbonate, -hydroxide reacts more or less with aluminum.

Personally I would not even boil my tea water in an aluminum pot. There is not one single item in my kitchen made out of this nasty stuff.

IMHO do yourself a favor and buy a simple stainless or a glass ceramic pot, not only for your AYA.

Garfield
“Coincidences are what are left over after you've applied a bad theory.” P.W. Bridgman

Phlux-
#6 Posted : 3/17/2011 5:49:02 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

hell yeah - people agree with me - i was ducking from potential flak.
woot.
id like to hear more of why you guys dont like aluminium for cooking.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Garfield
#7 Posted : 3/17/2011 6:02:16 PM
Sascha

Phlux- wrote:
hell yeah - people agree with me - i was ducking from potential flak.
woot.
id like to hear more of why you guys dont like aluminium for cooking.

In my kitchen I love to have the most inert materials to cook my stuff in, that´s one reason why I prefer glass ceramic even over stainless steel. They also keep longer the heat.
I don´t like the "energy" or "vibes", or however you may call it, of aluminum.:evil:

The only place or use, aluminum is really great for, are technical applications and wind chimes. The sound of aluminum wind chimes is great, especially the really big ones. Crystal clear.Very happy
“Coincidences are what are left over after you've applied a bad theory.” P.W. Bridgman

muLogick
#8 Posted : 3/17/2011 7:30:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for everyones inputs.

New pots are on my list of things I would like to buy, but unfortunately I'm completely broke right now.

Entropymancer wrote:
Yeah, if you're not using any acids in the brewing process, I don't know of any reason why brewing aya would be worse than cooking in the pans...

I guess I will cook my first ayahuasca in my aluminum pot then. For the extra ordinary full moon on saturday.Very happy

Next time I will try the hummingbird cold extraction in jars so I avoid the use of cooking pots altogether.

Thanks again everyone
Mu

SnozzleBerry
#9 Posted : 3/17/2011 7:46:37 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

muLogick wrote:
Thanks for everyones inputs.

New pots are on my list of things I would like to buy, but unfortunately I'm completely broke right now.

Entropymancer wrote:
Yeah, if you're not using any acids in the brewing process, I don't know of any reason why brewing aya would be worse than cooking in the pans...

I guess I will cook my first ayahuasca in my aluminum pot then. For the extra ordinary full moon on saturday.Very happy

Next time I will try the hummingbird cold extraction in jars so I avoid the use of cooking pots altogether.

Thanks again everyone
Mu

Just so you know, brewing ayahuasca vine without an acid will result in considerable % of the alkaloids remaining in the vine.

I conducted a simple experiment along these lines
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

muLogick
#10 Posted : 3/17/2011 8:36:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, SnozzBerry. I guess I shouldn't have called what I am brewing ayahuasca since it's basically Mimosa and Rue. But I assume the same would apply for Mimosa.

I am ok with not getting all the alkaloids. Mimosa bark is fairly cheap anyway, I guess unlike Banisteriopsis.

Do you think I should add more mimosa? Perhaps drink the non-acid water extract of 20 gram or something like this, instead of 8 as I have seen recommended several places as a good dose.

Mu