We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Extraction of Passion flower from pills? Options

Thebatman
#1 Posted : 3/6/2011 8:42:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Is anybody familiar with a method to extract only the Passion flower from pills containing passionflower extract(~300mgs), melatonin(~1mg), and casein(I do not remember this measurement). I would like to extract just the Passionflower so that I do not have to take the other chemicals with it, and just get the PF effects.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Mydriasis
#2 Posted : 3/7/2011 8:47:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Interesting sounds like a sleep-aid? Casein for tryptophan + melatonin is an excellent combination for sleep needs in my experience.

Assuming the extract is primarily flavonoids and not harmalas as should be the case because harmalas are practically trace with-in the plant itself, an organic solvent should do the trick. Most pill binders are sucrose/lactose so perhaps anhydrous ethanol would work. Remember any water in the ethanol will pull the binding agent here so you'd want maybe denatured alcohol. Or perhaps DMSO? I could see that working for many of the compounds.

It's hard if not impossible to say, not knowing the constituents of the pill(or did you mean gel-capsule), so experimentation here is critical.

Though this thread could/should be moved due to it's topic not really pertaining to harmalas.
It's been fun. Thanks for all the wisdom.

Thebatman
#3 Posted : 3/8/2011 12:51:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yes the pill is a sleep aid, benetom, or some name like that. I will find he exact name later though. I could probably get some denatured ethanol, so I'll give that a go. Your probably right that this thread should be moved and it's totally up to the mods if necessary.

MMPA
#4 Posted : 3/9/2011 11:00:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The brand is called benesom and contains 75mg casein. It's for sure a sleep aid. The pill is more of a compressed powder pill? The ones that don't have the capsules? I don't know the name for that though.