We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT, broken down MAO-A or MAO-B? Options

seven7seven
#1 Posted : 12/5/2010 8:25:34 AM

Stewie

Is DMT primarily broken down by MAO-A or MAO-B? Would a selective MAO-B inhibitor like selegiline or rasagiline be effective for a good pharma trip?

I know that these need to be taken for a week or two to fully inhibit MAO-B, but once the MAO-B is inhibited, would these lend themselves to a strong, long lasting experience?

Has anyone tried these out? Is there a difference in effects of pharma with MAO-A inhibited as opposed to MAO-B?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

azrael
#2 Posted : 12/5/2010 10:41:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

first pass is mao-b, though harmalas work on mao-a. something happens between the two during standard pharma/aya. kinda think selegiline raises bp and so does dmt, so really research this.

/not a scientist

The Traveler
#3 Posted : 12/5/2010 1:06:23 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

seven7seven wrote:
Is DMT primarily broken down by MAO-A or MAO-B? Would a selective MAO-B inhibitor like selegiline or rasagiline be effective for a good pharma trip?

I know that these need to be taken for a week or two to fully inhibit MAO-B, but once the MAO-B is inhibited, would these lend themselves to a strong, long lasting experience?

Has anyone tried these out? Is there a difference in effects of pharma with MAO-A inhibited as opposed to MAO-B?

Do you have Parkinson?

If not I would advice not to use any of those medicines, or any medicine at all actually, who's effects with DMT are not known. Also note that both medicine are irreversible inhibitors which means that that there are concerns with tyramine, you might need a MOAI diet with it. Also the possible side effects for those medicine are not worth it to take for weeks in my opinion.

Rue and Caapi are cheap and perfect reversible MAOI (RIMA) and have a good safety record, especially with DMT.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

seven7seven
#4 Posted : 12/5/2010 1:21:50 PM

Stewie

Selegiline requires no diet restrictions if taken sublingually as it still leaves the MAO-B in the intestines intact. Tyramine is not an issue here.

The effects are long lasting, but I am familiar with it and pleased by the fact that no diet restriction is needed, selegiline is known to have the least negative side effects of an MAOI.

The only real issue with selegiline with me is the fact that a tiny bit metabolizes in L-Methamphetamine, and will show as dirty on any drug test.

soulfood
#5 Posted : 12/5/2010 2:42:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

seven7seven wrote:
Selegiline requires no diet restrictions if taken sublingually as it still leaves the MAO-B in the intestines intact.

If that's the case, then it's no good for pharmahuasca.

seven7seven
#6 Posted : 12/5/2010 9:27:02 PM

Stewie

Good point, but is the DMT absorbed in the stomach or the intestines?

That could make a huge difference. beta-PEA, which is virtually inactive orally (or other ROAs), becomes orally active with MAO-B inhibition in the brain (sublingual selegiline). I believe the PEA is absorbed through the stomach lining, not the intestines.

Does DMT (freebase) absorb in through stomach lining or the intestines? And what about the fumarate salt, would that be more likely to absorb into the stomach than the freebase?

proto-pax
#7 Posted : 12/5/2010 11:11:24 PM

bird-brain

DMT is absorbed in the intestines. The stomach is just a physical and chemical mortar and pestle to grind up food so it can be absorbed in the intestine easier.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

nn-DreemMasterTree
#8 Posted : 12/6/2010 1:54:27 AM

samsara

I reckon pharma and aya are perfect as they are, and if made by someone who knows what there doing, you couldn't want it any stronger or longer or whatever, you would just drink another cup! I dont think you can improve on the traditional or just reputable methods. Natural means something, dont like what western medicine is doing and i am not mixing that with my dmt

"Pay attention. And keep breathing." Terence McKenna

seven7seven
#9 Posted : 12/6/2010 3:00:00 AM

Stewie

nn-DreemMasterTree wrote:
Natural means something, dont like what western medicine is doing and i am not mixing that with my dmt

Selegiline is natural, it is found in the ephedra plant.

soulfood
#10 Posted : 12/6/2010 3:16:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Who cares about 'natural'? It's not really a safe guard is it? There's loads of natural stuff out there that can flat out kill you.

Nature - Knowledge = Russian roulette.

seven7seven
#11 Posted : 12/6/2010 4:21:21 AM

Stewie

Like hemlock, natural, also one of the most poisonous things there is. I agree completely, natural doesn't mean much. Don't some acaias have natural d-Methamphetamine? That is some nasty stuff too!!

endlessness
#12 Posted : 12/6/2010 8:23:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT is mainly metabolized by MAO-A

azrael
#13 Posted : 12/6/2010 10:52:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

^source?

endlessness
#14 Posted : 12/6/2010 11:18:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How else would it work to orally activate DMT using harmalas, considering they are MAO-A inhibitors and not MAO-B inhibitors?

Edit: Hmm, seems there's actually a bit of controversy regarding this? Check this out:

Quote:
An earlier study using iproniazid, a non-specific MAO inhibitor, had already demonstrated that DMT is primarily metabolized by MAO (Barker et al., 1980). As the harmala alkaloids are known to preferentially inhibit MAO-A (Buckholtz and Boggan, 1977), it follows that DMT would be thepreferred substrate for this particular isozyme (i.e. MAO-A). However, one report has suggested thatDMT is preferentially metabolized by MAO-B(Suzuki et al., 1981), while 5-methoxy-DMT is preferentially metabolized by MAO-A (Squires, 1975). A metabolic study on DMT showed this alkaloid to be rapidly metabolized in the blood to dimethylkynuramine by an unknown enzymatic reaction (Hryhorczuk et al., 1986).

(source: Callaway et al. Pharmacokinetics of Hoasca alkaloids in healthy humans Journal of Ethnopharmacology 65 (1999) 243 – 256 )

azrael
#15 Posted : 12/7/2010 10:48:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

yeah, Suzuki found that lower doses were metabolized by both mao-a and mao-b while higher doses were done just by mao-b in vitro. couldn't find the full article though, this info patched together from various references.

picatris
#16 Posted : 12/7/2010 11:51:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
How else would it work to orally activate DMT using harmalas, considering they are MAO-A inhibitors and not MAO-B inhibitors?

Edit: Hmm, seems there's actually a bit of controversy regarding this? Check this out:

Quote:
An earlier study using iproniazid, a non-specific MAO inhibitor, had already demonstrated that DMT is primarily metabolized by MAO (Barker et al., 1980). As the harmala alkaloids are known to preferentially inhibit MAO-A (Buckholtz and Boggan, 1977), it follows that DMT would be thepreferred substrate for this particular isozyme (i.e. MAO-A). However, one report has suggested thatDMT is preferentially metabolized by MAO-B(Suzuki et al., 1981), while 5-methoxy-DMT is preferentially metabolized by MAO-A (Squires, 1975). A metabolic study on DMT showed this alkaloid to be rapidly metabolized in the blood to dimethylkynuramine by an unknown enzymatic reaction (Hryhorczuk et al., 1986).

(source: Callaway et al. Pharmacokinetics of Hoasca alkaloids in healthy humans Journal of Ethnopharmacology 65 (1999) 243 – 256 )

The controversy continues to this day: Check this out: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2009.10.030

The authors report both MAO-A and MAO-B inhibition for harmine and harmaline, although MAOAI is stronger. I would bet on MAO-B inhibition also given the fact that changa seems to work the way it does because of possible MAO-B inhibition (my conjecture, of course)

"The elfclowns of hyperspace are already juggling in the center ring. Hurry! Hurry!" T.M

shoe
#17 Posted : 12/9/2010 10:07:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

picatris: I recently read about this myself, and so this thread about mao-b inhibition isn't much of a surprise! still, very interesting.
There was also some information about Mao-B and chocolate (theobromine) interactions. I'm sorry I can't find the article anymore. Sad
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

queenscarlet88
#18 Posted : 3/7/2011 6:54:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My friend is prescribed 5mg per day of selegiline (generic for Emsam) in tablet form. She does not observe any dietary restrictions, having been specifically instructed by her physician that there's no need to do so at this dosage. She has never taken DMT before. I am only a little more experienced, having combined Mimosa hostilis root bark with Caapi Copy, resulting in a beautiful, hallucination-free trip which put my thoughts and emotions back in balance. I have attempted to combine both MHRB and Psychotria viridis with Caapi Copy and with caapi I've brewed myself, with unsuccessful results on every occasion aside from the one I just detailed.

I've found very little information about combining oral selegiline with oral DMT. Specifically, she and I are planning on drinking twenty grams each of Mimosa hostilis powdered inner root bark dissolved into hot water, using egg whites to separate some of the nauseating compounds, as described in the second post from the top of this thread: http://www.entheogen.com...m/showthread.php?t=15862

Ideally, we would like to combine this MHRB decoction with her selegiline prescription. I am not fond of the Caapi Copy vendor, owing to the sloppiness and delays characterizing my orders from them so far. I do not want to resort to caapi itself, or to rue, because "the purge" has, in my experience, resulted every time that it has happened in an immediate abortion of the trip. I know I can keep from vomiting up MHRB by itself, because I've done it before.

My questions are:

1. At what dosage, if at all, would selegiline in conjunction with MHRB be likely to inhibit the breakdown of DMT sufficiently for us to trip?
2. At this dosage, would we need to observe dietary restrictions? If so, for how long before and after the experience?