We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Threw the Baby Out with the Bathwater Options

CuriousSeeker
#1 Posted : 3/5/2011 2:05:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually, had the water bath been the correct temperature of bathwater (about 110 F) then SWIM wouldn't have had to throw anything out because the gallon jar full of basified bark wouldn't have broken in the too hot water bath. Had the gallon jar not broken in the water bath then he wouldn't have had to deal with three gallons of highly basified hot water mixed with glass inside of a cooler. Fun times!

Fortunately some forethought had occurred and 99% of the catastrophe was contained in the second outer cooler (he knew better than to trust the structural integrity of styrofoam), and no injury occurred since proper safety goggles and gloves were used.

Lesson learned: Always check the temperature of your water bath before using it.

Be safe, ya'll!
A scale is a wonderful thing. Everything else posted by CS is lunatic fiction.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Mindlusion
#2 Posted : 3/5/2011 12:52:35 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

happened to me once with a large 2L pickle jar full of basified MHRB.

Except all over the kitchen floor! Shocked

Live and learn
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

CuriousSeeker
#3 Posted : 3/5/2011 1:40:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, I've read many a horror story and had gotten a bit too confident of my skills since I'd done several successful extractions without incident. It was a good reminder that every detail is important. I'm looking forward to using less toxic extraction techniques in the future.
A scale is a wonderful thing. Everything else posted by CS is lunatic fiction.

Xt
#4 Posted : 3/5/2011 2:59:27 PM

A few years back this happened to me with a gallon glass demijohn of PH12 purple soup. Glass is pretty but its still prone to catastrophe.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

Infinite I
#5 Posted : 3/5/2011 11:04:56 PM

JC

Mindlusion wrote:
happened to me once with a large 2L pickle jar full of basified MHRB.

Except all over the kitchen floor! Shocked

Live and learn

Happened to swim too a few years ago, all over the kitchen worktop and floor, worktop was stained quite badly, don't live there now was thinking the other day about that too, people moving in wondering what is that? Lol

obliguhl
#6 Posted : 3/6/2011 9:10:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Be very very careful dealing with lye (solutions). They are a serious health hazard. I once made a very basic solution and accidentaly inhaled some of invisible the lye "fumes" - that did not only hurt, but had me worried for hours. Fortunatly, everything turned out to be fine...but one spill could mean a trip to the hospital and possible permanent damage to your throat, lung, eyes, hands.

For more info, watch the uncut Version of Fight Club.