We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Need help saving my Datura from Fungi. Options

SKA
#1 Posted : 2/8/2011 2:09:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello Nexian comrades,

I have been growing a Datura Metel ( variety 'Fastuosa' with double, purple/white flowers) since last year's summer.
It produced many flowers that left behind plenty of thornapples.
I collected some seeds that the seedpods had dropped once they had dried and cracked open.

I left it standing and it managed to survive winter, allthough the dried seedpods caught a black furry fungus.
Nevertheless it started producing a nice bunch of green leaves again during the first sunny days that came this year.

Some of the leafs have went limb and fell off. I decided to prune off the fungalised seedpods and parts of the stem.
I have watered it more frequently lately, as the days have become more and more sunny lately. New leaves have continued to grow,
but also go limb after a while. Appearantly enough of the fungus is still inside the main stem.

Does anyone know a good way to save my Datura Metel? Perhaps a suitable fungicide I could use?
Or another way I can kill the fungus yet spare the plant?
I hope to avoid pruning the main stem further down, unless it's absolutely nececairy.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

LawnBoy
#2 Posted : 2/8/2011 8:22:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've never grown D. metel, but I'm thinking in general could cut it to the ground and it would still grow back. It's rather shrub-like, right?

Manually remove as much of the infected tissue as possible, this is critical
Spray a fungicide
Sterilize your tools before and after, this is critical
Maybe even re-pot, the fungus might be in the soil
Use something like Superthrive or stress-reducing fertilizer

hope this helps,Crying or very sad wish I could do more
Posts made by me are either fictional or false, or both. I do not endorse, condone or engage in illegal activities. I love the state, my big brother. "I" myself am fictional. I am a collection of individuals, that are not entirely human. "I" do not exist in reality. Any resemblance to an individual bound by laws is merely coincidental. I lie and tell very little of the truth; do not believe me, and, especially, don't hold "me" accountable for any posts.

SKA
#3 Posted : 3/4/2011 12:34:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The Datura Im growing is Datura Metel var. Fastuosa; The purple/white, triple flowered plant version. I don't know if it will eventually grow into a shrub, but mine's a plant (sofar)

I decided to see if I could cut off the rotten top part of the stem. It turned out the fungus didn't go deep and that I've cut off all infected stem.
It seems to be doing fine again, appart from being a little leafless except a few limb leafs, which isn't unusual given the bleak weather. I'm amazed it survived the harsh Dutch winter at all.