We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
My DMT changed color?! Options

Psikotrope
#1 Posted : 2/18/2011 10:16:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used Q21's tek 2 several times and always with great end results. My last extraction though was placed in a ziplock within a ziplock and stored in a cool dark closet. After about two weeks the white fluffy crystals began to change color to a yellowish tan. The powder is almost "spongey" as if moisture had been introduced. What could have happened?

After the extraction the crystals were allowed ample time to dry and they were stored as air tight as could be. I dont see how they couldve sucked up moisture. Could this be the result of oxidation or something? I have not tested the product for activity yet so I'm not sure if there's any loss in purity.

This has just never happened before and I'm not sure what to make of it. I would add that on this extraction I did pull.a bit of oily off white crystal on the last pull. Could this small amount have, I dunno, contaminated the rest?
Psikotrope
AKA Hanuman Dass
http://hanumandass.wordpress.com A blog on nonduality, entheogens, and other such topics.

"It can be what you want it to be but in the end it's all just sensory enhancement." -The thought stream that once saved my life.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 2/18/2011 10:20:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

maybe they had a bit of solvent trapped inside the crystals (hence even extended drying isnt enough, which is why I generally recommend redissolving in ethanol/acetone and re-evapping for those extracting with petrochems) which with time dissolved a bit of spice+bit of oxidation so color changed. Im pretty sure it will be equally active, I smoked old spice that was just kept in a drawer and had gotten a bit darker and was just fine.

Next time check out this redissolve-evap to get rid of solvent traces (or you can do that with your product now still).

Another option is recrystallizing it if you want, but again solvent traces thing remains, so redissolve in less toxic/clean solvent and-evap is good

Psikotrope
#3 Posted : 2/18/2011 11:31:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply Endlessness. I thank you may be right about the solvent. I've used Ronsonol up to this point due to availability. But now that I'm starting to get the hang of extraction I'm gonna try and use a purer solvent on my next extraction and start to refine my process.

I will test the batch and report back on the potency.

Thanks again for the help!
Psikotrope
AKA Hanuman Dass
http://hanumandass.wordpress.com A blog on nonduality, entheogens, and other such topics.

"It can be what you want it to be but in the end it's all just sensory enhancement." -The thought stream that once saved my life.

DoctorMantus
#4 Posted : 2/18/2011 11:38:12 PM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

they could of melted down, you could just do a recrystallization.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"

Psikotrope
#5 Posted : 2/19/2011 9:52:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DoctorMantus wrote:
they could of melted down, you could just do a recrystallization.

Good point. I had not considered that possibility. I will probably test it to see how it vapes and its potency. If it still vapes well I'll most likely leave it as is. I'm not overly concerned with appearence. More with vaporization and potency. So if its difficult to vape - will attempt a recrystalization.

Thanks for your input!
Psikotrope
AKA Hanuman Dass