We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
does rust dissolve in naphtha? (good extraction containers HDPE?) Options

lorax
#1 Posted : 10/20/2008 5:01:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a friends extraction container's lid has rusted from within.. he managed to get it rather clean, but there is still some rust he couldn't remove..

is this a lid which should be replaced?

also that friend would like to know about plastic coated insides of pickle jar lids. a friend did a few extraction in a pickle jar and after a few the coating was completely dissolved. the friend is now worried that the coating has somehow ended up in his spice.

the spice looks quite clean with a slight yellow tint. would the plastic precipitate out along with the crystals or would it stay in the solvent?

also my friend has heard about people using HDPE containers for extraction.

my friend has some empty PE containers from distilled water. could my friend use these for extraction? my friend is currently on the lookout for a big container in which more can be extracted at a time. he thought about getting a 5liter HDPE container.

anyone know if PE is just as good as HDPE? some labmarkets call their HDPE containers PE containers.. is this the same thing?

I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

lorax
#2 Posted : 10/20/2008 5:01:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

he also heard of people using empty milk canisters for extraction. are those the same ones as the distilled water comes in?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

acolon_5
#3 Posted : 10/20/2008 5:11:25 PM

The Great Namah

PE and HDPE are different. I am not 100% about the difference other than HDPE is high-density polyurethane.

I have used HDPE with naphtha and bestine without any problems. Others have used polyurethane without any issues.

Toluene and Xylene will melt HDPE and PE so it is unadvisable to use it with those solvents.

Remember that milk jugs (HDPE) can and will melt with high temperatures (including the heat from basification) so go slow and don't add too much base too quickly. My friend has had one loose it's handle due to overheating and let me tell you the mess that it made in his room was unbelievable, not to mention the smell!
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

lorax
#4 Posted : 10/20/2008 7:16:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

strange.. my toluene got delivered to me in a PE canister.. i got it stored on my balcony because it even stinks through the container. it also evaporates through the container.. hope its good for use. i should store it somewhere safer i guess.

damn that store!

Jorkest
#5 Posted : 10/20/2008 7:38:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

SWIM doesnt like to use any plastic at all in extraction...only glass and stainless steel...dont want any of that shit in his spicy
it's a sound

lorax
#6 Posted : 10/20/2008 8:00:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah thats the best. the problem is getting glassware big enough for a 5l extraction so a friend thought he'd try a 5L HDPE jug.

Jorkest
#7 Posted : 10/20/2008 8:08:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

you could try a 5 gallon extraction...all you need to get is a glass beer brewing carboy...you can get between 18-20 grams from two kilos...with SWIM thinks is 4 gallons of basified water...plus another half gallon of solvent...tis fun!
it's a sound

acolon_5
#8 Posted : 10/20/2008 8:54:49 PM

The Great Namah

cheech wrote:
strange.. my toluene got delivered to me in a PE canister.. i got it stored on my balcony because it even stinks through the container. it also evaporates through the container.. hope its good for use. i should store it somewhere safer i guess.

damn that store!

Now that IS wierd! I have seen toulene eat up many plastics including polyurethane...dunno?

I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you are using a STB don't use glass (goes for A/B too for that matter)! Lye etches glass and over time you will be one little bump away from an exploding glass jar of caustic liquid.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Jorkest
#9 Posted : 10/20/2008 9:18:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ahh SWIM will remember that
it's a sound

lorax
#10 Posted : 10/21/2008 12:01:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

do do you think it will still be safe using that toluene? the container doesnt seem to be damaged.. i guess the lid just doesnt fit tight enough for none of it to evaporate.

for now i will try and store as much of it as i can in other containers. do you think i should ask that vendor for a refund?