We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
tryptophan + maoi = serotonin syndrome ? Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 10/8/2008 9:41:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

is MAOI interaction an issue only with SSRI´s or stuff like MDMA and the possible serotonin syndrome, and with tyramine and possible hypertensive crisis..

Or can tryptophan containing food + MAOI also be a bad combination?

(MAOI+tyramine is generally a problem only for ireversible MAOIs, not for reversible MAOIs such as b-carbolines.. what about with tryptophan, also an issue only with irreversible MAOIs or not an issue at all ? )

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 10/8/2008 9:53:22 PM

The Great Namah

I haven't ever heard of serious food interactions with RIMA's.

Not saying there aren't any, just haven't ever heard anyones had a problem with say, Caapi or Rue and food.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 10/8/2008 10:28:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

me neither, at least any trustable report..

the thing is, this ´serotonin syndrome´ definition got popularized.. and then there is a certain tendency of people to to self-diagnose. Put this together with the fact that some people simply have bad trips and some quite common effects (trembling, shaking, whatever), then it happens that some will say ´I had a serotonin syndrome´.. someone talked with me about this the other day, saying he had a serotonin syndrome during a trip, after having eaten tryptophan containing food before, and it just sounded very odd to me...

polytrip
#4 Posted : 10/9/2008 12:49:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Just the idea that you might have this serotonin syndrome, when you're tripping can causse a very unpleasant experience. I once fell on my face during an acid trip, and the thought that it might have caused some medical trauma so maybe the very next moment i could maybe become paralized forever or become permanently blind, caused a few very stressfull minutes. So i take the food guidelines seriously just so i don't have to worry about it and it will be all much more pleasant.
This will also diminish initial feelings of nausea etc.
All these guidelines are meant to be on the safe side as much as possible, just like with warning labels on pharmaceuticals. When taking 50 aspirines would kill you, the company will warn you not to take more then 20 or something. Still a good advice i would say.

40oztofreedom
#5 Posted : 10/15/2008 4:26:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I had actually gone to the hospital for a "serotonin syndrome" or so it was seemingly diagnosed

I was on prescribed SSRI's and an Amphetamine (adderall) for a depressive disorder about 6 years ago. I was on a very high dosage of the SSRI, and I had no knowledge of the medications that I was on, and what I should or should not take while on it. After a few months of my daily adderall, I was feeling long term exhaustion effects. Loss of weight, and my depression at the time was just getting worse because of it.

I had gone to GNC to look for a somewhat alternative vitamin or pill that would balance my body and mental chemistry to make me feel better. I walked in and told a worker about being exhuasted and depressed all the time, but thought nothing of the medications I was on at the time. He reccommended 5-HTP (5-Hydroxy-Tryptophan) pills and said it boosted serotonin levels and made you feel better. I thought nothing of it and bought them.

I had gone home and taken the reccomended 100mg. For awhile I felt okay but later in the night watching TV I was falling in and out of sleep. In the midst of that I had felt like I was being stuck by lightining of sorts. I heard a constant loud crashing screaming in my ears. I started uncontrollably screaming, shaking, and convulsing.

I went to the hospital assuming I had some sort of random seizure. The doctor never really gave me a straight answer. By my parents had told them about the medications and the pills and said there was probably some sort of bad chemical reaction that messed with my serotonin levels. So am assuming after my research that it was very likely a serotonin syndrome, due to high levels of SSRI's and 5-HTP in my system that did something.
So glad to see you have overcome them.
Completely silent now
With heaven's help
You cast your demons out

--------------------
I lie compulsively, and I am subjected to mental disorders as to where I have trouble even considering my own existance.