We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Test: Does burning destroy harmala alkaloids ? Options

obliguhl
#1 Posted : 1/23/2011 11:59:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

----Clarification-------
By the term "toasting" i mean slight burning of the tea

So i've heard, that a light toasting does not hurt a brew. Just re-dissolve the residue in Water and drink. I have had the chance, to extract from toasted brew and non-toasted using 50g vine from the same batch, cooking 4x30 minutes and extracting using gibran2's tek.

The Result:

Toasted: ~330mg
non-toasted ~450mg (perhaps a little more as i worked sloppy)

I don't know if this is a fluctuation. 120mg doesnt sound like a lot...but if you think about it: Its a big chunk of 330mg.

So, i'm not taking any chances and try not to burn a brew. Still good to know, that not all is lost.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/23/2011 1:04:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

what do you mean with 'toasted' ?

obliguhl
#3 Posted : 1/23/2011 5:12:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mydriasis
#4 Posted : 1/24/2011 3:22:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Obliguhl I am still confused by the terminology of 'toasting' tea?

Do you mean putting the heat on high on the stove when its boiling? If that is the case then no it shouldn't matter, water's boiling point remains the same 100*C(at 1atm).

If you mean putting your tea in the oven? It's the same thing.

If you mean carelessly boiling down to a 'puddy' or 'resin' at a high temperature then I would say it's certainly possible 'actives' will be decomposed/vaporized.
It's been fun. Thanks for all the wisdom.

gibran2
#5 Posted : 1/24/2011 4:09:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

I think he means boiling the tea, then (accidentally) letting most of the water evaporate so that you have a residue on the bottom of your pot that’s being exposed to heat.

Since harmala alkaloids can be vaporized, my guess is that with sufficient heat and time, you could either vaporize or chemically alter 100% of the alkaloids.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

obliguhl
#6 Posted : 1/24/2011 6:45:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I think he means boiling the tea, then (accidentally) letting most of the water evaporate so that you have a residue on the bottom of your pot that’s being exposed to heat.

Yes, for around 10 minutes.

Dorge
#7 Posted : 1/24/2011 11:30:34 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

There's a possibility that you could be evaping them at a high heat, Changa works by lighting them on fire...so... What's the melting point for these harmalas? And what's the temp of the pot after ten minutes? That would be my thinking to figure it out...
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

SnozzleBerry
#8 Posted : 1/25/2011 2:34:19 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Dorge wrote:
... What's the melting point for these harmalas? And what's the temp of the pot after ten minutes? That would be my thinking to figure it out...

The lowest melting point of either harmala alk is around 230C, I think...so unless your pot is insanely hot...I don't think there's anything to worry about. In some ayahuasca ceremonies, the vine is vigorously boiled at high temps for many hours and it's still active; if there were heat degradation issues, I'd figure they'd prepare the brew differently .
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

gibran2
#9 Posted : 1/25/2011 2:54:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Dorge wrote:
... What's the melting point for these harmalas? And what's the temp of the pot after ten minutes? That would be my thinking to figure it out...

The lowest melting point of either harmala alk is around 230C, I think...so unless your pot is insanely hot...I don't think there's anything to worry about. In some ayahuasca ceremonies, the vine is vigorously boiled at high temps for many hours and it's still active; if there were heat degradation issues, I'd figure they'd prepare the brew differently .

The original post concerns what happens when all of the water is boiled away. Once the water has boiled off, the temperature in the pot can rapidly climb to well over the vaporization temp.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.