We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salvia being scheduled? Options

actualfactual
#1 Posted : 12/10/2010 6:17:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://healthland.time.c...-interest/#ixzz17fJ3CNHp

Quote:
The hallucinogenic plant Salvia divinorum has been used for centuries in shamanistic ceremonies led by spiritual healers in Mexico. But now the drug has gotten so popular among recreational users in America (street names: Magic Mint, Sally D) that the government has taken notice: it's been banned in 15 states and federal legislation has been introduced to regulate the plant as a Schedule 1 drug, like marijuana, heroin and ecstasy.

According to recent surveys, users say burning and inhaling the smoke of dried Salvia leaves produces powerful hallucinogenic effects, and helps reduce anxiety, improve mood and increase insight. In one case, a woman with drug-resistant depression claimed significant improvements in mood after experimenting with Salvia.

Based on animal studies of salvinorin A, the active ingredient in the Salvia plant, some neuropharmacologists believe the drug may have merits beyond getting people high. It could perhaps aid in the medical treatment of serious mental conditions or chronic pain — but some scientists worry that strict federal regulation could undermine its utility.

Matthew Johnson, an instructor in the department of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Johns Hopkins University, who recently conducted a small, new study of salvinorin A — the first involving human volunteers — testified before Congress in 2009: "[T]his compound is completely unique, and there is good reason to think a derivative of the drug could one day provide a breakthrough medication for chronic pain, Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or cocaine dependence, potentially saving thousands of lives in the long run."

But the first question is, is it safe? In their latest study, Johnson and colleagues found that it was, at least in the short term. In the experiment, two men and two women who were mentally and physically healthy and free of any drug-abuse problems were each given 16 increasingly larger doses of salvinorin A and four doses of placebo in a lab setting. The participants took the drugs in 20 sessions over two to three months. They were observed for a variety of effects, including motor function, mood, physiology and length of the drug's "high."

Two of the four participants — all of whom had previously experimented with Salvia divinorum and other more common hallucinogens like LSD and mushrooms — reported that salvinorin A resulted in a hallucinogenic effect that was "as strong as imaginable." Researchers noted this was unusual for experienced hallucinogenic-drug users. None of the participants suffered any adverse changes in bodily functions such as blood pressure, heart rate or nerve functioning.

All participants reported that the effect of salvinorin A was markedly different from that of other hallucinogens, stating that previous experiences with LSD or mushrooms had not detached them so completely from their sense of reality. Salvia took them into an entirely different realm of consciousness, they said.

"[P]articipant narratives indicated intense, highly unusual experiences characterized by changes in spatial orientation, feelings of energy or pressure on different parts of the body, and unusual and sometimes recurring themes across sessions such as revisiting childhood memories, cartoon-like imagery and contact with entities," wrote the study's authors.

The drug's effects were immediate and lasted between 2 and 20 minutes, depending on the strength of the dose. The users reported liking the drug's effects, though only the two strongest doses used in the study were significantly different from placebo. These preliminary findings bode well for the feasibility of future research on the drug, the authors write.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

jmaxton
#2 Posted : 12/10/2010 11:26:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is not good news and the Miley Cyrus video on CNN certainly won't help matters. Can anyone recommend a good vendor of live plants in the US? This might be a good time to finally invest in the future.

-JM

Electric.Sight
#3 Posted : 12/11/2010 12:21:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh My Goodness! The terror!!! We better run for cover, for the Salvia MONSTER is coming to town! People are ACTUALLY getting high from a plant we didn't know about! Can you believe this horror?

I mean honestly how did Salvia gain such notoriety? This is nonsense in every way. Has anyone died? I doubt it, it lasts 5 minutes tops. Not physically harmful or addictive, and most people are so turned off after the first time they try Salvia I'm surprised it caught on in the first place.

Is outlawing it really going to help in any form? Gotta protect those spiritualists and dumb teenagers from 5 minutes of extreme confusion!
Confused
Disclaimer: All Entheogens and other research materials are not for Human consumption! I have researched by text the effects of consuming such things in case of accidental consumption. I have never actually consumed any of the materials I speak about and it should be assumed I'm speaking hypothetically. I have a wild imagination.

jamie
#4 Posted : 12/11/2010 1:22:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

banning it seems to make it easier to blame a plant for Bret Chidesters death..at least that how it seems this all started in the first place..wasnt that he was already depressed and seeing doctors and on anti depressants etc..no his mother just wanted to look the other way and begin another witch hunt..

I dont even know of any other cases invovling salvia divinorum...I would say order your cuttings..it is such an easy plant to grow..anyone can grow it..

It is better to grow your own anyway than to support the sale of salvia extracts..the wide availability of extracts to anyone along with the way they are marketed works against it and it is also discusting in most cases. Grow the plant and make your own extracts.

There are certain vendors out there who should feel guilty for how they try to market salvia.
Long live the unwoke.

Electric.Sight
#5 Posted : 12/11/2010 2:09:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I was unaware of that case thank you.

It's totally unfair to even consider Salvia was the culprit in this single isolated case.
Seems like his parents were extremely upset and looking for something external to put the blame for their son's suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett's_law for those like me who missed it.)
Shame they chose to go so far, it's like a repeat of the "music killed my son/daughter" "video games cause violence" only with a more severe outcome.
The media must love upset parents, especially as a go-to-source for drug information.
Disclaimer: All Entheogens and other research materials are not for Human consumption! I have researched by text the effects of consuming such things in case of accidental consumption. I have never actually consumed any of the materials I speak about and it should be assumed I'm speaking hypothetically. I have a wild imagination.

Tangarine_Dreams
#6 Posted : 12/11/2010 3:47:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

im surprised its not already. i figured that dumbass kid would have got it banned. his parents went post death ape shit blaming the drug for killing their perfect happy sports playing boy!!!!

i may or may not live in the very first place in the usa to schedule it. its been defacto illegal for like 5 years here. nto that you cant order it. lots of nice stores dont ship it tho.

when i was 16 i tried very hardto extract and conc the salvinorin A. made some blotters for sublingual, way too strong extracts, and the like.

Apoc
#7 Posted : 12/11/2010 5:52:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not sure why you guys are seeing this article as bad news. Officially, in order for them to ban a substance, and especially make it schedule 1, the substance has to meet certain criteria: 1) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse. 2) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment. 3) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

The article we're looking at here is suggesting that none of those things are true of salvinorin. In fact, the article points to studies which oppose the criteria for banning a substance. The article is saying that good research is being done on this drug, and the article itself is being made public to educate people before over zealous people get their hands on trying to unjustly ban a substance, and spread lies about its dangers. The article even mentions the legitimate ritual spiritual use of the plant.

I'm actually really surprised salvia has been banned in as many places as it has. It was freely sold. There were obviously no gangs or street sellers or people getting addicted to salvia. Why would they make it illegal and criminalize innocent people who choose to use it? It doens't make sense, when virtually no one is suffering from the use of this plant. Plus, now obviously the only people who are going to sell salvia are DRUG DEALERS!

So now if someone chooses to use salvia they can potentially go to jail for years? Come on. It just makes no sense. I would think that if law makers are truly concerned about public health and safety, they would allow substances that are actually safe! Salvia has proven relatively safe, and has legitimate spiritual users..... so I would think if a person was potentially interested in experimenting with substances, (which almost everyone considers at some point) the governemnt should want people to choose the safe ones. But I guess not. Some people place salvia in the same class as heroin and meth.

Imagine I'm a person in a state where salvia is banned and I'm considering substance use , and I'm not sure what to try. Should I try salvia, a non addictive, non physically harmful, short acting, spiritual plant.... or should I try meth? Hmmm, well, it's all the same shit I guess, it's all schedule 1. I guess they're equally bad, I think I'll smoke up some meth, let's see how that goes. Besides, the guy I know who sells drugs tells me that meth and heroin are much more enjoyable than salvia.

Of course, a person educated by the government would never think that way because a person educated by the government really would think it's all the same shit without knowledge of the relative safety of salvia. The reason is the government really does push the idea that all drugs are bad, especially schedule 1. A person who takes the government's word for it would have no knowledge of the relative safety of salvia, nor its potential use as a spiritual plant. Well, what the heck, I'm a good kid and I don't want to go to jail. I guess if I don't want to get in trouble I could just do the legal thing and sniff paint. It can't be bad for you if it isn't illegal.

Oh, also note that the related article below the salvia article is "Portugal's Drug Experience: New Study Confirms Decriminalization Was a Success" I for one, am glad to see a well written article that points to actual studies done on this matter, and doesn't just blindly state one way or another, salvia is ok, vs salvia is bad. Of course, almost any user knows that salvia isn't addictive and without negative physical effects, but ones opinion doesn't really carry much weight to a law maker. The law makers will at least have to look at the real studies done on this.

The same is true for dmt, almost any user knows the real deal about dmt, that it is not addictive and by most accounts without negative side effects, but.... who is a person to have an opinion about their own life? Apparently, that's not allowed according to the law. It's going to take real scientific studies to dispute the schedule 1 claims that dmt, and mushrooms are addictive, without medical use, and unsafe. Kudos to Rick Strassman for kicking it off. I was disappointed in the spirit molecule movie that it didn't really point out something important.... that people aren't getting addicted, aren't suffering negative effects, and in fact have had very positive effects, and the effect on the person under the influence is not dangerous either. ie: a person under the influence of dmt is likely to simply remain still and lie down. A person under the influence of dmt is not a dangerous person. Nor did the fairly high doses he gave produce any kind of medical distress. All important points that oppose the entheogens place within schedule 1.

Electric.Sight
#8 Posted : 12/11/2010 6:32:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Apoc wrote:
Should I try salvia, a non addictive, non physically harmful, short acting, spiritual plant.... or should I try meth? Hmmm, well, it's all the same shit I guess, it's all schedule 1. I guess they're equally bad, I think I'll smoke up some meth, let's see how that goes
This brings forth a good point. I have heard Dr.Phil say Salvia is the next Meth, articles claiming DMT is the next meth, everything is apparently like meth these days?Confused

But the thing that's really bad about this is the people who will try Salvia and think "hmm that was pretty harmless and tame compared to the media hype, maybe I WILL try meth after all, I mean how much harm could that do if they were exaggerating so much about salvia, and meth is supposed to be similar right?"

lol I hope no one would confuse meth with Salvia, but you never knowShocked

Metanoia
#9 Posted : 12/12/2010 4:39:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sad, sad days. Glad I don't live in the USA. Land of the free, what a joke.

actualfactual
#10 Posted : 12/12/2010 4:43:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia: more powerful than LSD, and legal

http://www.telegraph.co....-than-LSD-and-legal.html

AluminumFoilRobots
#11 Posted : 12/20/2010 6:27:37 AM

gufyg

Is Salvia going to be scheduled? This didn't have any conclusive information... and an internet search is also inconclusive. If this is true anyone with the ability should emergency-order stockpiles to ensure a supply for entheogenic use.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

Simplistic Randamonium
#12 Posted : 1/12/2011 5:12:16 PM

random root

i blame youtube and hanna montannas bitch lame ass!
FUCK!
I HATE stupid ass holes with no concept of common sence ar respect for the natual world running around the forge blind folded....
then they wanna film it for what? a pissing contest of the worst kind.
"my fucked up trip got more views" so lets run out and buy more but this time stonger and lets pack a more massive bowl this time. im not hitting it. shit im not.
lets get our friend to do it he will be fine and it will be awsome cause everyone will watch that shit. maybe we could be on G4 in viral videos and BLAH FUCKIN BLAH!
FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry guys i just had to get that out my system.
yes when younger and dumber i to filmed friends and friends filmed me but non of it made the jump to the tube.
these will be the same people who bitch the most when its gone and i can promiss most would not understand the role they played in it's prohibition. yet another striping of our right to understanding in the method we so choose so long as we endanger no one and sustaine an attitude of maturity and respect.
like i say
we need more:
PEACE
LOVE
and UNDERSTANDING.
if u made it this far you are a champ, and although we may never meet you are also my friend.
S.R.

AluminumFoilRobots
#13 Posted : 1/13/2011 6:01:06 AM

gufyg

I'm not sure this is really happening, because I cant find a bit of credible information about it.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

Saidin
#14 Posted : 1/13/2011 8:35:08 AM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

It is being linked with the Arizona shooter...

http://www.prisonplanet....erful-hallucinogens.html
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

Mister_Niles
#15 Posted : 1/13/2011 12:01:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From the article: Arizona Shooter Was On Powerful Hallucinogens

Quote:
According to several other readily available reports, several students in Loughner ‘s classes said that he would regularly spontaneously laugh out loud without warning. This is commonly associated with Salvia Divinorum use

So, he was smoking salvia in class? Either that or he found some salvia with an extremely long half life. Come on. This article is ridiculous. Whenever I'm in a situation where I'm not supposed to laugh, I sometimes have an barely controllable urge to laugh. I must be high on salvia. I must have been high on salvia when I was a child in the 1970's and I actually "spontaneously laugh(ed) out loud without warning" in church. The congregation was lucky to escape with their lives. Other articles say he would wear his ipod in class. Maybe he was listening to a comedy album when he would "spontaneously laugh out loud without warning".
Just like the article in which a former bush speech writer blamed the attack on cannabis use, this is just an example of politicians and the media taking any opportunity they can to demonize drugs.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

Simplistic Randamonium
#16 Posted : 1/13/2011 2:12:09 PM

random root

i wonder what he ate for breakfast?
maybe that made him do it?
or maybe people should stop pointing the finger at at plants and other unblamible things.
remember when eminem and icp made those kids in columbine kill everyone?
or was that maralyn manson?
perhaps he played to much GTA and got confused?
or he could just be a crazy guy who happend to smoke salvia.
if the artical is true then wave goodby to deviners sage...
if u made it this far you are a champ, and although we may never meet you are also my friend.
S.R.

AluminumFoilRobots
#17 Posted : 1/16/2011 5:20:35 AM

gufyg

good thing smart people have been stocking up for a while now...
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Orion
#18 Posted : 1/22/2011 1:38:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Get yourselves a plant. That's what I did. Get a mother, smoke her gifts, whilst it's still easy.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.