We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Curcumin (Turmeric extract) - Non-toxic+ Easy Extraction Tek Options

Autodidactic
#21 Posted : 11/23/2010 2:45:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Stuff like this is why I love this site so much, thanks a lot for posting this.
*The above text represents a fictional alter ego, none of it is based on the experiences of a real person.*

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Oscar Wilde

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DiMiTriX
#22 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:18:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ok i didn't red thew whole tread but has you q21 experimented other ways to get purer,more concentrated curcumine,i mean.. a method to precipitate it out? maybe naphta or others np solvents and freeze precip or evaporation?maybe acetone could work too..and maybe it could be added of water still curcumine precipitates out of the solution?yeah this is a new iknown area to research!!Surprised
Tz'is aná

DiMiTriX
#23 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:20:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ok..here they speack of distillation,acetone seems good
ftp://ftp.fao.org/es/esn.../cta/CTA_61_Curcumin.pdf
Tz'is aná

Swarupa
#24 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:26:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Q21, your a jewel in the crown that is the nexus Very happy

I have 1kg of tumeric that i don't use as it just stains teeth too much, now i can put it to use

DiMiTriX
#25 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:29:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ok,it seems that oleoresin of curcumin is less volatile than acetone so it will remains as residue on the bottom of where you boil your solvent,so no need of a distillator ---> a new era of burnt hands is starting now! Rolling eyes Laughing swim hopes to be smart enough to boil it on a bath water far from open flames..he already get burnt one Confused Rolling eyes

seems that this oleoresin needs a selective solvent mix to extract the curcumin, swim doesn't think this oleoresin from paint acetone would be foodgrade...he wouldn't eat it Rolling eyes
Tz'is aná

Ljosalfar
#26 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:54:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Curcumin, all the rage! If you want to buy curcumin, it is sold as a dietary supplement (anti-inflammatory, and MANY other wonderful healthful effects). It can cost 30 us $ for 60*500mg, sometimes less - check the web, check your grocer!
Also...

The black pepper active piperine potentiates the bio-availability of curcumin by up to 2000%! Please be careful...

I look forward to hearing more and offering my own report as time allows.
L
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman

Enoon
#27 Posted : 1/13/2011 12:21:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

Don't know how relevant or interesting this is but here's a patent on how to extract curcumin using soap(?!) and acid. Does anyone know what kind of soap they are talking about here? Where would one find suitable soap without additives that one could use for such an extraction?

Also will try to get some other papers if I can get access to them. the file attached describes the regular process of extracting too, though not in detail.

I'm not clear on the purification process after getting the resin.

Oh and another paper about the ultrasonic-assisted extraction using 70% EtOH @ ph 3 - sounds promising.
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

DiMiTriX
#28 Posted : 1/13/2011 8:15:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks enoon!
ljo i searched a bit yesterday at drug stores and others but didn't find E100 that's curcumine,but i didn't specifically ask for curcumin at drugstore,maybe they have it as ''curcumine' antiinfiammatory?
Tz'is aná

Enoon
#29 Posted : 1/13/2011 9:31:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

I wonder if one could do a crude extract with ethanol, then redissolve and bomb it with water to purify it... Would this work?

anyway here are some more papers
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

DiMiTriX
#30 Posted : 1/13/2011 10:31:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah.. what i was asking myself..imo it's really possible but didn't find anything around saying that,so it seems a bit odd to me Confused
Tz'is aná

Entropymancer
#31 Posted : 1/13/2011 10:23:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

The oil that absorbs into the powder seems likely to be holding on to some of the curcumin, so it doesn't seem like this process would actually concentrate the material all that much. I think I'll just stick to oral administration via delicious Indian food. From the doses described, it sounds like the amounts typically used in cooking are decently active, especially with fresh ground pepper.

Interesting info though. I'd never looked into it, but I always assumed that some Indian spices had psychoactive effects since a large meal of Indian food leaves me feeling pleasantly altered (mild but very clearly noticeable). MAOI effects certainly fit the bill in terms of subjective experience.

rOm
#32 Posted : 1/26/2011 9:53:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Enoon wrote:
I wonder if one could do a crude extract with ethanol, then redissolve and bomb it with water to purify it... Would this work?

anyway here are some more papers

Right Enoon, the best looks like making a steam distillation of curcuma longa fresh roots, to gather an essential oil.
This with the piperine crystal in mg's range should give a clear thing.
It's all about distillation these last days ...
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Potter
#33 Posted : 2/1/2011 8:39:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone done any work with raw turmeric root and care to offer some guidelines as to quantities of fresh root compared to dry root?

tigerstrike92
#34 Posted : 8/7/2011 8:36:50 PM

Homo-divinorum

Is the original bottle holding the oil and tumeric glass or plastic? I have seen tumeric degrade down some plastics (bottle and sandwich bag). Thoughts?
Let the plants guide you, for they teach lessons beyond what we humans can offer.
Distorted is our perception of reality, because reality is much more distorted than we could ever perceive it to be.

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Follow the path you have chosen, travelers, you will not regret the outcome, that I can assure you.

DiMiTriX
#35 Posted : 8/8/2011 9:36:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

it could be..the curcumin and other stuff into the root are very apolar..just think that curcumin is very soluble in oil, when you cook something the oil turns yellow
Tz'is aná

tigerstrike92
#36 Posted : 8/8/2011 10:40:51 PM

Homo-divinorum

I am currently trying this only modified a bit. With my first addition of oil to about 140 grams of tumeric, ALL the oil was absorbed, so I added about 50 ml of oil, and I have been shaking it up and giving it a hot water bath twice a day for 2 days now. I will take it out tomorrow, filtering it all through a coffee filter, and test it on wednesday.
Let the plants guide you, for they teach lessons beyond what we humans can offer.
Distorted is our perception of reality, because reality is much more distorted than we could ever perceive it to be.

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Follow the path you have chosen, travelers, you will not regret the outcome, that I can assure you.

skoobysnax
#37 Posted : 4/18/2014 5:57:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tigerstrike92 wrote:
I am currently trying this only modified a bit. With my first addition of oil to about 140 grams of tumeric, ALL the oil was absorbed, so I added about 50 ml of oil, and I have been shaking it up and giving it a hot water bath twice a day for 2 days now. I will take it out tomorrow, filtering it all through a coffee filter, and test it on wednesday.

I think i will try tis with organic coconut oil. I found it to be superior with cannabis at getting the good stuff to grab on to the lipids. You can also solidify it to help separation.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

steppa
#38 Posted : 8/1/2014 12:50:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Would be promising to add black pepper right to the tumeric extraction in regards of extracting piperine and cucurmin in one step?

I'll also try a butane gas extraction. Just for the fun of it.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

Bancopuma
#39 Posted : 8/1/2014 1:11:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is what I've been doing, as well as increasing bioavailability of the curcumin in the turmeric, the piperine in the pepper has its own beneficial properties. I add the powdered black pepper in with the turmeric powder at the start of the extraction and extract them with the oil together in a warm water bath over several hours.

My current mix is using raw, unprocessed hemp seed oil (preserves nutrients and antioxidant capabilities of the oil), powdered turmeric, black pepper and CBD oil. Need to figure out the best proportions for these ingredients but I think this could be a great mix.

steppa
#40 Posted : 8/1/2014 1:22:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds great Bancopuma! Thank you very much for your input.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

PREV123NEXT