We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What does the term "food grade" mean to you ? Options

Shaolin
#1 Posted : 1/11/2011 3:33:39 PM

Stiletto Stoner

No Googling, no quotes, no data.

Just what do you think when you read this term ? What assumption do you make about the substance ?

That a compound is safe to ingest ?

That a compound is safe to handle with bare hands ?

That a compound is somehow "safer" than for instance naptha ?

Please provide us with you answers. They can be short, long, medium, etc just make them yours. This is not a pop quiz but a poll (yet without options) thread since this term is gaining on popularity.

Thank you.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

biopsylo
#2 Posted : 1/11/2011 4:13:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

to me it means more than safe to handle. calling something food grade means (to me) that small amounts can be consumed without ill effects.

yes, NaOH is available "food grade" but i would not put a speck in my mouth!!

while with lime, d-limo, fumaric---no prob, go ahead and lick your fingers!!Very happy

SnozzleBerry
#3 Posted : 1/11/2011 4:43:26 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Food Grade is the minimum standard for substances permitted to be in contact with food.

There is no point to making a "poll" on the meaning of this word as it already has a meaning and definition and this is what the term "Food Grade" refers to when a product is labelled as such.

Creating a poll for a new/alternative meaning within the community strikes me as a poor decision as the term means what it has already been defined as and is applied as such. This means that even though individuals such as biopsylo may decide that "food grade" means that "small amounts may be consumed without ill efects", this is simply not true and fails to have any relevance to a company labeling a product as "food safe".

As people have already demonstrated in various posts (such as assuming that food grade bases are safe for use with bare hands) there is a potential for harm if we allow such multiple/incorrect definitions to exist. Simply put, Food Grade is an already defined term that is applied to products in accordance with its definition. As such, it is nonsensical to attempt to redefine it as we are consumers of Food Grade products, not producers, so whatever we may want it to mean is fairly irrelevant.
Wiki β€’ Attitude β€’ FAQ
The Nexian β€’ Nexus Research β€’ The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם Χ–Χ” Χ™Χ’Χ‘Χ•Χ¨

Virola78
#4 Posted : 1/11/2011 5:00:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Let's redefine it from scratch.. and put 'food safety' next to it.

It could prevent treacherous mistakes. Like burning hands on lime.

β€œThe most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Xt
#5 Posted : 1/11/2011 5:28:10 PM

To me it means products that are sold under basic regulations for quality / purity / safety with preparation of food in mind. Like Lime for use in Pretzel making... that has been guaranteed free from contams that may harm.
Tho may not be suitable.... foods.

Om nom nom.

β€œRight here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

biopsylo
#6 Posted : 1/11/2011 9:32:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Creating a poll for a new/alternative meaning within the community strikes me as a poor decision as the term means what it has already been defined as and is applied as such. This means that even though individuals such as biopsylo may decide that "food grade" means that "small amounts may be consumed without ill efects", this is simply not true and fails to have any relevance to a company labeling a product as "food safe".

although i agree with what you are saying, to a point, i was humoring the OP, and gave my OPINION on what the term means to me. i am not defining or attempting to redefine the term.

SnozzleBerry
#7 Posted : 1/11/2011 10:01:48 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

biopsylo wrote:
Quote:

although i agree with what you are saying, to a point, i was humoring the OP, and gave my OPINION on what the term means to me. i am not defining or attempting to redefine the term.

Yea, I hear you...I didn't mean to attack you (and I certainly hope I didn't come across as attacking you, if I did, I'm very sorry) I was just using your post as an example of potential problems I see with this. Personally, it seems that these types of threads (where someone wishes to redefine or contest a term already in existence and over which we have very little control) pop up from time to time and people humor them, and life goes on unpreturbed...I dunno why today was different, something inside me just riled up and said "PLEASE DON'T HUMOR THIS BIZARRE REQUEST!" but in all honesty that probably has more to do with me and the fact that it's a grey, freezing day, there's snow all over the ground and I had no desire to be cooped up in an office all day.
Wiki β€’ Attitude β€’ FAQ
The Nexian β€’ Nexus Research β€’ The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם Χ–Χ” Χ™Χ’Χ‘Χ•Χ¨