We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Rethinking DMT and the Pineal Gland Options

blue_velvet
#1 Posted : 1/9/2011 7:04:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I apologize if this has been suggested before.

Evening Glory wrote:
DMT is not produced by the pineal gland, because the mRNA sequence for indolethylamine N-methyltransferase (INMT) simply isn't present in the pineal gland. INMT is an enzyme that is needed to synthesize DMT. Without any gene coding for the enzyme, the enzyme isn't present. It is present in the lungs though, among other places.

This is the argument presented by many that the pineal gland does not produce DMT. However, I am curious whether the pineal gland does not play a pivotal role nonetheless. Perhaps this has been suggested before, but I think it is possible the pineal gland signals the production of DMT in more likely centers of the body such as the lungs. In addition, if the pineal holds precursors for DMT, perhaps it sends these molecules to the DMT production center to initiate synthesis.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

benzyme
#2 Posted : 1/9/2011 8:34:01 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

probably not

google: pinoline

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

blue_velvet
#3 Posted : 1/9/2011 10:54:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^^
I concede my point. How can I argue with such convincing and exhaustive rhetoric?

TrustLoveMan
#4 Posted : 1/9/2011 11:00:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I always figured it was a mix of chemicals like Melatonin, pre-cursors of DMT, and other neurotransmitters. If it was just DMT, we would be able to tell!
All Posts are fiction and only exist to entertain

benzyme
#5 Posted : 1/10/2011 12:08:36 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

blue_velvet wrote:
^^^^
I concede my point. How can I argue with such convincing and exhaustive rhetoric?

well, I could tell you the biochemical basis for why the pineal gland doesn't 'signal' for DMT production, but the esoterics of it would likely fly over your head anyway.
simply put, the physiology of the pineal gland is such that metabolites of serotonin are converted into melatonin and pinoline, possibly 5-MeO-DMT. the enzyme which converts tryptamine to NMT and DMT is not expressed in the pineal gland.

TrustLoveMan wrote:
I always figured it was a mix of chemicals like Melatonin, pre-cursors of DMT, and other neurotransmitters. If it was just DMT, we would be able to tell!

the metabolic pathway for serotonin and melatonin production are actually a separate pathway from the one which produces DMT.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

TrustLoveMan
#6 Posted : 1/10/2011 12:15:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
TrustLoveMan wrote:

the metabolic pathway for serotonin and melatonin production are actually a separate pathway from the one which produces DMT.

:arrow:
Rolling eyes

Ya, I can only speculate, I'm not a biochem major.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 1/10/2011 12:20:25 AM

analytical chemist

ok

I can speculate that i can move objects and levitate using my appendix

TrustLoveMan
#8 Posted : 1/10/2011 12:25:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
ok

I can speculate that i can move objects and levitate using my appendix

Shocked Well then, I speculate that I have a separate person in my brain that takes over when I'm sleeping! And said person created your account so he could communicate with me. Aha, you read it online, it must be true, lol.

benzyme
#9 Posted : 1/10/2011 12:26:10 AM

analytical chemist

Laughing

Smile

Madcap
#10 Posted : 1/10/2011 12:57:35 AM

illudium Q-36

I dodn't really care about any of this.... I sorta "followed" benzyme in here to read.

But alas, reading y'alls little exchange completely lifted my spirits. Hilarious.

All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

Entropymancer
#11 Posted : 1/10/2011 6:47:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I can speculate that a big plate of lamb vindaloo, dal, and saag will make my belly happy. And I can test my hypothesis!

soulfood
#12 Posted : 1/10/2011 6:58:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I can speculate that a big plate of lamb vindaloo will make my ass very sad. Testimony is available but tests can not be repeated.

Citta
#13 Posted : 1/10/2011 7:35:55 AM

Skepdick

Haha, you guys rock. But to the serious part: I think that this whole pineal gland business should be put down. I think too much of the pineal gland talk together with DMT makes the psychedelic community look bad. Yes, it may all fit very convenient with many of the mystically orientated reality perspectives here, but benzyme said it, so let's take a chill pill on the matter - DMT is just as fucking awesome anyway

burnt
#14 Posted : 1/10/2011 8:38:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Many people just want to associate dmt with the pineal gland because the pineal gland has all these absurd mystical notions attached to it.

imPsimon
#15 Posted : 1/10/2011 2:19:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Many people just want to associate dmt with the pineal gland because the pineal gland has all these absurd mystical notions attached to it.

In that regard Strassman seems somewhat biased

Cheeto
#16 Posted : 1/10/2011 2:28:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

i was just checking this out. I don't know much at all about what goes on in the body, but its been suggested that DMT is responsible for dreaming, which i understand may be not even close to the real answer, but do scientists know the real answer....or better speculations of what causes dreams in the brain?
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

Global
#17 Posted : 1/10/2011 3:07:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

If DMT is involved with dreaming, it is most likely not the root cause of it or the visuals or whatever. It may speculatively affect dreaming in some way, but I don't think it's as simple as DMT is what causes you to see stuff in your dreams. If that were the case, I think we would be seeing a lot more DMT-esque imagery in dreams, which by and far just isn't the case (please don't take this as the opportunity to add about those times you dreamt you were tripping DMT in your dreams...this is not where I'm going with this).
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

benzyme
#18 Posted : 1/10/2011 3:16:22 PM

analytical chemist

Cheeto wrote:
i was just checking this out. I don't know much at all about what goes on in the body, but its been suggested that DMT is responsible for dreaming, which i understand may be not even close to the real answer, but do scientists know the real answer....or better speculations of what causes dreams in the brain?

dreams as manifestations of consciousness? not exactly
scientists know the neurophysiology behind REM cycles; the key neurotransmitters involved are acetylcholine and glycine, the latter being implicated in 'sleep paralysis'.

The serotonin signaling pathway is supposedly inactive during REM sleep. If this is indeed the case, it would negate the effects of DMT as a 5HT ligand.

burnt
#19 Posted : 1/10/2011 6:11:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
burnt wrote:

In that regard Strassman seems somewhat biased

I'm not sure if the data was available when he first proposed that idea? It was a good guess but the data doesn't seem to support it.

Regardless I don't see it matters so much where in the body dmt is produced? Obviously its interesting but it doesn't make it any more or less special depending on where its produced.

tele
#20 Posted : 1/10/2011 9:25:36 PM
Explorer

Yes, connecting the two without evidence seems ridiculous, and would it matter anyway if they were connected?
It's also kind of stupid how this rabbi in the movie "spirit molecule" on youtube keeps on emphasizing the connection of the two.(the video is on youtube)

123NEXT