We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
An introduction to myself, Dervish Mad Whirler. Options

dervishmadwhirler
#1 Posted : 12/26/2010 12:52:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings all!

I would like to introduce myself to all Nexians.

My 'name' is Dervish Mad Whirler, I am almost 43 (in five days as of this post)and I am fascinated by Shamanism, spirituality, consciousness, psychedelics/entheogens, ethnopharmacology, the effects of sound/music on consciousness, and the Nature of reality (and ofcourse everything which even remotely touches on these subjects.)

I have quite some experience with LSD (300+ experiences) and DMT, altho I seldom take a breakthru dose of DMT (I do not have an experienced sitter handy most of the time) and breakthrough doses for me require a reality check in order to fully return. And some two dozen experiences with Psilocybine mushrooms. I have also tried diverse other plants and substances, from Salvia to Datura to several 2c-types of phenethylamines, of which I thought 2c-e, 2c-i and 2ct7 were the most enjoyable.

I have done four STB extractions of Mimosa Hostilis Rootbark with very satisfying results.

My preferred 'sacramental' substances are LSD and DMT, as they induce the most useful experiences with the 'other side' for me, which I can integrate in my healing practices.
At the moment I am mostly working on myself, healing-wise but in the past I have worked on many other people (with success, I might add).

The premise for my healing lies mainly in the more 'primitive' explanations for disease and mental inbalance; namely the existence of disembodied entities and their direct influence on human consciousness and physical well-being. Healing can come from either consciously disallowing entities to enter our 'shell' and/or consciously allowing entities in to aid in this process of self-healing.

Whether this process is a symbolic representation of reality or an actual fact is irrelevant for the result. Facts are that shamanic practice works, and inter-personal experiences and visionary states can have astonishing results on health and consciousness in general. Conscious awareness of the physical and mental processes can allow people to re-create and re-align their physical manifestation.
Contrary to popular belief, shamanism is not the primitive superstitious mumbo jumbo it is made out to be, but instead it is a very scientific method, which has a very long record of succesful application in most parts of the world, which medical science cannot hope to equal. It is the Natural science of human consciousness and it's relationship to the multi-dimensional Universe.

I hope to have many interesting and educational moments on the DMT-Nexus and look forward to share and discuss many ideas and experiences with you Nexians.

Thanks.

"Consciousness turns moments into tangible components of the Unity which is (in) everything."

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 12/26/2010 2:15:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome to the Nexus!

Are you into sufism? While this is very strong in your nickname, you didnt actually mention anything related to it in your intro essay.

Regarding Shamanism, well, that is an interesting discussion. Personally I wouldnt say shamanism is neither supersticious mumbo jumbo, but neither that it is a very 'scientific method', because shamanism, the way I see it, is not a method, but rather related to a cultural phenomenon inserted in a certain context. It will be hard explaining this very quickly, there is a book which does it a billion times better than I could, but its in spanish (Los Chamanismos a Revision, by J. M Fericgla).

Anyways the idea is basically that a lot of people think of shamans as the centerpiece of shamanism and isolated from a context, as if they have certain powers and as if it doesnt matter where they are because they will still have that power. Rather the idea is that they are part of a broader context they are inserted in, and that thinking of shamans only makes sense when understanding they are part of certain dynamical relationships, and making sense only insofar as they serve their adaptative function inside that society. I think nowadays we idolize shamans too much and try to extract a more "romantic" version of shamans to fill the holes that western society leaves us (for example spiritual healing and so on). But this is a misrepresentation of the complex functions they actually serve.

One more thing, I dont believe in this dicotomy of "indigenous medicine and science vs western medicine and science", and I think this can open the doorway to many problems. First of all, there is no consensus amongst indigenous people regarding their world-views or the use of every medicinal plant. In fact some indigenous cultures might consider some substance as a poison while others it will be some kind of medicine, just as an example. Also, I think that, while western medicine has been associated with many mistakes and bad practices, so have indigenous knowledge. I think we need to stop thinking in "VS", and think "complementary". What works works, and what doesnt doesnt. A shaman might be able to help you with certain deep personal issues, but maybe he wont be able to cure you of some diseases that western medicine will easily do. In fact often shamans will recognize their powerlessness regarding certain diseases that western medicine can cure.

Im not saying this is the case for you, but im affraid of people romanticising indigenous knowledge and/or alternative medicine and this leading to potentially serious problems (we have enough cases of people who died or had serious complications by refusing to treat in western medicine but rather go to some alternative method and having problems over something that was easily curable).

Anyways that was already too much from me, sorry about that. Again, welcome to the nexus! See you around!

dervishmadwhirler
#3 Posted : 12/26/2010 5:05:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Welcome to the Nexus!

Are you into sufism? While this is very strong in your nickname, you didnt actually mention anything related to it in your intro essay.

Regarding Shamanism, well, that is an interesting discussion. Personally I wouldnt say shamanism is neither supersticious mumbo jumbo, but neither that it is a very 'scientific method', because shamanism, the way I see it, is not a method, but rather related to a cultural phenomenon inserted in a certain context. It will be hard explaining this very quickly, there is a book which does it a billion times better than I could, but its in spanish (Los Chamanismos a Revision, by J. M Fericgla).

Anyways the idea is basically that a lot of people think of shamans as the centerpiece of shamanism and isolated from a context, as if they have certain powers and as if it doesnt matter where they are because they will still have that power. Rather the idea is that they are part of a broader context they are inserted in, and that thinking of shamans only makes sense when understanding they are part of certain dynamical relationships, and making sense only insofar as they serve their adaptative function inside that society. I think nowadays we idolize shamans too much and try to extract a more "romantic" version of shamans to fill the holes that western society leaves us (for example spiritual healing and so on). But this is a misrepresentation of the complex functions they actually serve.

One more thing, I dont believe in this dicotomy of "indigenous medicine and science vs western medicine and science", and I think this can open the doorway to many problems. First of all, there is no consensus amongst indigenous people regarding their world-views or the use of every medicinal plant. In fact some indigenous cultures might consider some substance as a poison while others it will be some kind of medicine, just as an example. Also, I think that, while western medicine has been associated with many mistakes and bad practices, so have indigenous knowledge. I think we need to stop thinking in "VS", and think "complementary". What works works, and what doesnt doesnt. A shaman might be able to help you with certain deep personal issues, but maybe he wont be able to cure you of some diseases that western medicine will easily do. In fact often shamans will recognize their powerlessness regarding certain diseases that western medicine can cure.

Im not saying this is the case for you, but im affraid of people romanticising indigenous knowledge and/or alternative medicine and this leading to potentially serious problems (we have enough cases of people who died or had serious complications by refusing to treat in western medicine but rather go to some alternative method and having problems over something that was easily curable).

Anyways that was already too much from me, sorry about that. Again, welcome to the nexus! See you around!

I am not into sufism as such; I can find things in sufism which appeal to me, but any organized dogmatic religous practice is bound to be besides the point and rigid.
My name comes from an experience I had in which I had visions of whirling people from different ages and spontaneously started whirling myself (for five hours).

In my experience, shamanism is simply the complete adaptation to the natural habitat. In essence, every human being is a potential Shaman.
The ones that are drawn to shamanism, either by cultural or social traditions and lineage, or by (spontaneous or otherwise) visionary experiences are simply the ones recognizing and acting on their potential.

The traditional Shaman is very different in every culture, but the basic similarity of all true shamans is in their success as, among other things, empath, psychologist, healer, pharmacist and confidant.
The Shaman is the one knowing the herbs in his/her surroundings which heal, which are edible, which are poisonous and their apllications and effects on human minds, bodies and behaviour. The shaman is the one who knows the cycles of the natural surroundings and the seasonal changes upon behaviour of the Natural world.
Usually the shamans that are encountered nowadays are simply repeating (some of) the knowledge they learned from their predecessors and have not had the experience the ancient shamans necessarily had of discovering the properties of every herb, plant or prayer. They generally do not know anymore what the original songs and practices are an expression of and to which Natural phenomenon they c0rrespond.

Shamanism isnt opposed to science, but it is rather a combination of science, tradition and intuition, using the things known, learned and the things intuited for healing purposes among other things.
Scientific method discards experiential evidence as unscientific and not empirically testable. Which leaves a wealth of information out of the equation.

The greatest difference between scientific method and shamanism is in the direct applicability within the given circumstances. While scientific method uses standardized results as a reference, shamanism and intuitive/spiritual healing uses patient-specific methods which are in natural circumstances and when dealing with human subjects, much more to the point for pinpointing and touching the source of the problem.
Modern medical science tends to attack the symptoms while shamanic method heals the source of the problems.
Again I like to point out that this is in it's undiluted form; nowadays many shamans no longer find apprentices to whom they can teach the traditional knowledge AND the methods of discovery which the first Shamans necessarily used. Shamanism isnt something that can be taught to just anyone, it needs to be taught to those who feel a calling to Nature; empaths who are a little bit outside of normal societal structures.
The positive point of modern medical science is mainly the vast lists of recallable data from experiments done under strict conditions. It is that huge database which makes experimentation easier for future discoveries. For the rest it is actually just a large scale form of one aspect of shamanism but which leaves out the human factor.
Shamanism works in a natural environment, with the Shaman as the mediator and expert, offering specific personal remedies.
Medical science works in a standardized laboratory environment and offers standardized remedies which work for the average modern human being.
Not much difference; each works for the environment and paradigm in which it is performed.

Modern medical science does ignore many aspects of the human experience; the individuality of each human being, the spiritual world of experience of the 'patient', the specific life experience of the patient. For modern medicine, a sickness is merely a physical thing and it treats every disease as such, for spiritual/intuitive shamanic practitioners, the source of the sickness IS the human experience and influences upon and the history of the 'patient' are of the greatest importance.

It stands to reason that a synthesis of both methods is the best way to proceed. If ofcourse the complete recovery and personal wellbeing of the patient is the goal. Which is not the main objective for many modern practitioners.
Shamanism in it's most authentic manifestation IS this synthesis. Transmitting data and knowledge, teaching invention and exploitation of intuitive capacities, from suitable practitioner to suitable practitioner thruout the generations.

And as for certain 'magical' abilities of the Shamans, every human being is in potential empathic, telepathic, precognizant, and has the ability to take away pain and heal others. Those are not magical abilities at all. They consist of using one's senses without preconceived ideas and opening and combining them. All it takes is a quiet mind.

"Consciousness turns moments into tangible components of the Unity which is (in) everything."

endlessness
#4 Posted : 12/26/2010 9:56:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the extended answer! There are small points to which I disagree but I think you put it pretty well and I agree that the logical solution is to find a synthetic method that builds on the knowledge formed by all these different orientations.

Now if you dont mind a change in subject, I would like to go back to your psychedelic experiences. You say your favorite substances are LSD and DMT. How do you compare them? And another question, what about ayahuasca/oral dmt, did you try that yet?

Smile

dervishmadwhirler
#5 Posted : 1/6/2011 4:01:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

You say your favorite substances are LSD and DMT. How do you compare them? And another question, what about ayahuasca/oral dmt, did you try that yet?

Smile

Eeeehm....that's a good question...how do I compare DMT and LSD?...

I think DMT begins where LSD ends,altho there is a considerable amount of overlap....
My experience is that it seems that a good peak experience on LSD can trigger a lot of endogenous DMT; the first time I smoked a sub-breakthru dose of DMT, I immediately had the idea that this was a state which was pretty common on 300+mcg LSD doses when a certain positive peak was reached...altho LSD has a much more physically stimulating effect, the state of mind with it's clarity and ecstatic mental rush followed by a feeling of disembodiment is definitely comparable, even to minute details, sometimes.

Both substances seem to be active within the same spectrum of effects; LSD has had me burst out of my body into 'mental space', (sometimes even literally into space) and beyond, many times.
DMT just seems to work mainly on a higher frequency, a higher range of the spectrum than LSD, at moderate and breakthru doses.
DMT also gives an even wider field of clarity or overview, with even more conscious control of senses and energy.

For me the main most noticeable difference between LSD and DMT would be that LSD itself has no entity of itself, or attached to it, and therefor enhances and elevates one's own personality/consciousness to, dare I say?, 'divine' levels and proportions.

DMT has a very tangible personality; there is a definite spirit to it, a teacher which, as opposed to LSD, has it's very own personality which makes itself known to the user. A very Natural spirit. It doesnt plunge you into the depths like LSD does; it leads you gradually into 'awareness' of your higher faculties. It is a teacher, a guide. At least, that is MY experience.

Also very noteworthy to me is the fact that every batch of DMT I have extracted from Jurema (MHRB) has it's own character to it. Sometimes it's a distinct male personality, sometimes it's a very female teacher. Very serpentine, sometimes even; at least the 'male' DMT is.

I havent as yet taken oral DMT or ayahuasca; mainly because to do that, I want to be under the guidance of a (preferably indigenous) Shaman, or a guide trained by a Shaman. If those arent directly available, I need to at least have an experienced guide whom I connect with and trust. I am sure the opportunity will arise before too long.

On a side note, I think that many psychedelics can be measured on the same scale; with each one giving the respective conscious view of the Universe as seen from the perspective of the entity which is attached to the plant used.

Most noteworthy psychedelic drugs seem to be able to bring one to the same point at sufficient doses. Perhaps that is because at that point one has to consciously vacate the body to be able to make sense of the 'confusion' and one is forced to elevate one's frequency and re-invent one's consciousness. Laughing