We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DCM v.s. Toluene Options

hayguyman
#1 Posted : 1/5/2011 11:45:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I want to get some full spectrum, and I have these too solvents at my disposal. I get good results from toluene but it smells so terrible and I'm sure its all types of cancer in there.

How does DCM compare? Does it smell less, does it evaporate as quickly? I think it would be safe, but has anyone had success?

Also, I would use the orange power, but I cant find it was not at the Homo depot. Is it sold anywhere but online'/>?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/5/2011 12:17:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From what I remember correctly, DCM is a better solvent but I would avoid using it for DMT because DMT reacts with it. You can read about it here.

Why dont you extract with limonene? Its pretty efficient too, definitely much more so than naphtha, and it smells wonderful.

Btw, regardless of which of these solvents you use, dont evaporate them, salt out instead (and later freebase).

Shaolin
#3 Posted : 1/5/2011 12:24:22 PM

Stiletto Stoner

benzyme wrote:
dcm smells sweet, so does chloroform.
the amounts used aren't particularly small (SWIM wouldn't bother using any less than 25mL), but you're correct, working with a sep funnel makes the process a lot easier. swim prefers it over naptha because less amounts are used, and evap is quick. for this reason, it leaves a residue..just recrystallize with bestine

and

benzyme wrote:
dcm isn't sketchy, if you purchase confidently.
it's a plastics desolving solvent, so SWIY works with plastics.
extracting dmt from mimosa hostilis with dcm (or chloroform) is old school. it's tried and true, there's even a procedure in the d3a microgram. dmt doesn't freeze precipitate in dcm, because it's so soluble in it. evap, then redissolve in hot bestine, and it should give nice crystals

swim has no problems getting it from the local chem supply store, because he's a hobbyist; and small chem supply stores can still appreciate hobbyists, just don't act like you're going to do anything illegal.

50ml can easily work on 500-600mL basic sol'n, and evaps rather quickly in a baking dish at room temp, usually around an hour. if a means is available, distill (on LOW heat) your dcm, it's more env-friendly. the same goes for chloroform.

@end: But the same substance that DCM+DMT react to, is the same that burnt found in the lab analysis of the mimosa extract so I wouldn't worry about that.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

endlessness
#4 Posted : 1/5/2011 12:32:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

why wouldnt you worry? you want to extract dmt, you dont want to have a potentially innactive substance, even if it appears naturally in small amounts in some plant material.

soulfood
#5 Posted : 1/5/2011 12:33:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I find any reaction with DMT+DCM highly negligable.

Obviously I'm not having my results professionally analyzed, but the resulting material is just as effective, only I get more of it as DCM pulls pretty much everything, only with less work.

endlessness
#6 Posted : 1/5/2011 12:39:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well again, im speaking from theory only, I dont use DCM, and even in the scientific publication they seem to leave the DMT dissolved for quite a few minutes for the reaction to occur, but even so, personally I dont like the idea that my dmt is reacting with the solvent, even if it would be small quantities.

Also what if maybe for some reason (heat, time, whatever?) one day it reacts more than usual and you lose all your batch? You cant turn it back into DMT in any normal way... Even if usually it works perfectly to extract with DCM, I can only say that personally that risk, even if small, is enough to make me not want to use DCM.

Each one to their own though, I just thought it was significant and wanted to bring that up in case the OP didnt know, but do as you please Pleased

Shaolin
#7 Posted : 1/5/2011 12:53:40 PM

Stiletto Stoner

endlessness wrote:
why wouldnt you worry? you want to extract dmt, you dont want to have a potentially innactive substance, even if it appears naturally in small amounts in some plant material.

Because you already have it, DCM or no DCM. Not to mentione we know nothing about reactions between limonene and DMT Smile Agree on the awareness.

As for OP, in theory, DCM is really nice:

- DMT is suppose to be very soluble, e.g. needing less solvent
- evaporates quickly
- sinks below, so it's easy to work with in a separatory funnel

In practice, optimal amounts/frequency pulls are yet to be determined.

From a purely selfish reason, I root for DCM, since I think that, in theory, it's a great, easiest to work with solvent, and all we need a little bit of experimentation to get it right.

I would love to find out of my low yield via DCM is just me or "ideal" isn't that ideal ... So another DCM user would be awesome.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

Simon Jester wrote:

soulfood
#8 Posted : 1/5/2011 2:19:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I actually find limonene extracted spice quite harsh to smoke thus taking more additional cleanup steps. With DCM I find it much easier to clean afterwards.

Shaolin
#9 Posted : 1/5/2011 3:42:38 PM

Stiletto Stoner

soulfood: Could you elaborate a bit on that ? Which procedure produced harsher spice and which purification steps removed it ? Thanks.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:

Simon Jester wrote:

endlessness
#10 Posted : 1/5/2011 4:28:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah soulfood im also curious what do you mean is harsher, how did you get to the freebase? I find the slow water freebase conversion from limonene salted fumarates to yield the smoothest possible dmt to smoke.

soulfood
#11 Posted : 1/5/2011 8:06:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The couple of times I used limonene pulled spice converted to freebase I could never get rid of a hint of orange which made it more harsh to smoke than a totally clean product.

Also when I use limonene extracted fumerates for pharmahuasca, in the event that it comes back up again, the taste on the way out is far beyond gross for me. Even by vomit standards. Even with xylene I can get all easily detectable residue out of my product, but with limonene I've never been able to do this.

Shaolin
#12 Posted : 1/5/2011 8:26:19 PM

Stiletto Stoner

Did you convert via FASI or FASW or anything else ?
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:

Simon Jester wrote:

hayguyman
#13 Posted : 1/5/2011 8:54:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like DCM is worth a try.
But its gonna be hard to tell how it differes, because jungle always comes out different for me.

soulfood
#14 Posted : 1/5/2011 8:56:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've tried FASI and FASW. Also tried going to freebase from fumerate via paste basing and Precipping out of base saturated water.

Shaolin
#15 Posted : 1/5/2011 9:08:13 PM

Stiletto Stoner

hayguyman wrote:
Sounds like DCM is worth a try.
But its gonna be hard to tell how it differes, because jungle always comes out different for me.

Please make a thread about you plans for the DCM extraction Smile
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:

Simon Jester wrote:

biopsylo
#16 Posted : 1/5/2011 9:18:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Also, I would use the orange power, but I cant find it was not at the Homo depot. Is it sold anywhere but online'/>?

by orange power, i assume you mean d-limonene? yes, you can probably get it at your nearest chemical supply. dont be afraid of these places. d-limonene is used for many things (de-greasing, cleaning paint brushes, removing tar, etc,etc. you could even buy surfactant at the same time. you could even tell them you are making biodiesel and get some KOH too.Wink

hayguyman
#17 Posted : 1/6/2011 12:34:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yea limonene biopsylo, damn youve got a dope picture. Im gonna go hunting for it tomorrow.

There will be a report on how the toluene and dcm compare too.

biopsylo
#18 Posted : 1/6/2011 1:55:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^^ hey thanks. the pic is a still from a video compost i shot in nz.

look forward to hearing on the solvent comparison for full spectrum.Smile

hayguyman
#19 Posted : 1/6/2011 9:18:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks everyone, swim loves you :}