We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Recrystallization Question Options

JohnDesire
#1 Posted : 1/5/2011 8:59:04 PM

Jarred

Hello all,

during a recent extraction I did using Q21's Vinegar + Lime Tek, I noticed that during the recrystallization a lot of floating pieces of white film-like chunks develop along with the crystals along the bottom. Is this normal? Should I be concerned about this? Just to provide some extra info, I am using vinegar + lime and I am using VMP&P Naphtha from Home Depot as my solvent.

Thanks.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Swarupa
#2 Posted : 1/5/2011 9:18:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Do you mean during recrystallization or during freeze precipitation?

During freeze precip i get lots of 'floaties' in the naphtha
I usually pour the naphtha through a coffee filter to pick them up & it dries very fast & is good to go as it is Pleased
(i do Q21 tek aswell)

During re-X i don't ever get any floaties, so i think you must be talking about freeze precipitation?

Also could you clarify what you mean by film like?
Very thin?

Pictures help aswell Pleased

Peace

JohnDesire
#3 Posted : 1/5/2011 10:46:02 PM

Jarred

Yeah, I meant to say during the freeze precipitation, sorry. I can get some pictures soon. It essentially is a thin, off-white looking film. It looks kind of stringy. I assume it's typical, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't potentially anything nasty in the solvent or anything like that.

landfishd
#4 Posted : 1/5/2011 11:39:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that if you are getting floaties during the freeze precipitation than you either need to leave it in the freezer longer or you need colder temps

Edit: sorry didn't completely read through, film like sounds much different then floaties, and I don't know whats going on there.

Swarupa
#5 Posted : 1/6/2011 12:06:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

JohnDesire wrote:
Yeah, I meant to say during the freeze precipitation, sorry. I can get some pictures soon. It essentially is a thin, off-white looking film. It looks kind of stringy. I assume it's typical, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't potentially anything nasty in the solvent or anything like that.

Ah i think i know what your talking about now, well i don't 100% know what the stringy stuff is but i have gotten that before, im fairly sure it is DMT, i usually notice a lot of it when i first put the solvent in the freezer, after an hour or so i can see stringy white stuff floating in the solvent, like wet cobwebs floating in there, after 24-72 hours there isn't any stringy stuff left. I can recall a lump of what looked like the stringy stuff, but it dried & looked like the rest of the DMT, there was also no yield loss on recrystallization so i'm pretty sure in my own extractions it's just DMT.

Post a picture still though as i don't think i've gotten an off white colour before, just clear/white.

JohnDesire
#6 Posted : 1/6/2011 1:12:19 AM

Jarred

Yeah, it is more or less what you are describing. It's only really in there during the first hour or two and then it starts to settle, and it basically is pretty white, so I think it's probably pretty okay. I'll still get a picture sometime, though.

Thanks for the responses!