We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
Psychoactive Lichen!!!...Novel Entheogen needs Research! Options

blue_velvet
#21 Posted : 1/4/2011 12:29:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Any R. Gordon Wasson's around?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

biopsylo
#22 Posted : 1/4/2011 3:26:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

this is all very interesting. im liking the lichens.

just a couple thoughts. if its a tryptamine, then there is probably no one in rehab for it!

another thing- many to most icelandic people speak english, no??!

dumbstruck
#23 Posted : 1/4/2011 6:35:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^ I didn't know many Icelandic people speak English. I remember hearing it is one of the most difficult languages for an English borne speaker to learn, so I guess I just assumed it would be uncommon. Well with a review of the bar in English (good English too) that gives me hope for being able to get in contact with someone who can eventually help!

I certainly wouldn't think there would be anyone in recurring rehabilitation for tryptamines, but they might have experience with dealing with people currently on the drug or know of people who abuse it who are in their programs. They seem like a logical place to get me in contact with someone who can help identify this enticing lichen. If it has been a drug of abuse for 9 years surely they have enough information to at least describe its' appearance and where it grows, and maybe even tell more about its' effects.

How should I phrase the email to these folk? I was going to say I represent a group of independent American researchers and we were looking for information on drugs of abuse that are lichens. Or something to that effect. Any suggestions on how to come off appropriately?

pau
#24 Posted : 1/4/2011 6:57:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

from what I've read : Iceland is indeed a partying, English-speaking, kind of place.
WHOA!

dumbstruck
#25 Posted : 1/4/2011 11:59:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

edit: Oops. Realized this is the second thread linked in the OP. If you read that ignore this. If you didn't, here's the good parts.

I hope this is okay. I found one thread saying something about spoiler tags being used in a certain way being inappropriate here, but I couldn't find out the certain way! It's long so I figured it was appropriate.

bransondude
#26 Posted : 1/10/2011 4:24:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just a word about IAS's lichen, don't bother if one wants psychoactivity. Tasted like butt, did nothing even after a fistful orally.

So, the lichen take decades to grow, grow on rocks, and in very cold regions. At least it'll never become popular. Sounds like the kind of thing someone with a lot of expensive equipment could research for fun. Learn the actives and then leave the living lichen alone.

PsilocybeChild
#27 Posted : 1/10/2011 6:59:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Unrelated, but this is a DMT analogue (5-bromo-DMT) found in sea sponges and other marine invertebrates.

Quote:
"Some Metabolites of the Marine Sponges Smenospongia aurea and Smenospongia (= Polyfibrospongia) echina"

-wikipedia
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

ms_manic_minxx
#28 Posted : 1/11/2011 5:57:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My heart overflows with joy at the thought of psychoactive lichen.

It also makes me want to sing... Jonsi <3.
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

SKA
#29 Posted : 1/11/2011 7:43:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thx Bransondude. I won't bother I Am Shaman's Lichens. May they crumble and fall into oblivion for selling people crap like that.

I don't know if all Lichen species grow that slow. Perhaps some will grow much faster.
First thing to do is to identify psychoactive Lichen species, by mostly trial & error + the little scientific and experiential information we have on Psychoactive Lichen.
It might be handy to rule out a number of Lichens known to be toxic and a number of Lichens that have been used to eat without known psychoactive effects.
If we know this, then we may see if this Lichen species can be made to grow faster.
Ideal temperature, lightlevels and humidity in a terrarium? Soil/Growth medium rich in nutrients? A little Insect-symbiotic help perhaps?

But for now I don't see much else we can do but scrape Lichens off of walls and treebarks and start smoking/drinking tea in a really really low dose and increase the dose from there, Shulgin style.

PS: Concerning the Lichen that Shulgin describes in PIHKAL; It is said to contain Olivetol ( or something close to that word ) which is an essential oil that closely resembles THC. A simple conversion into 9 Delta THC, a THC analogue, can be made with Orange juice. ( I've ordered TIHKAL and PIHKAL so I can check this out )

If this is so, then we could find other, more easily and quickly grown plants that also are rich in Olivetol. Then we no longer have to trouble painstakingly slow growing Lichens.

L_Starr
#30 Posted : 1/11/2011 10:22:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Espiridion wrote:
Im lichen this already!!

LMAO thats great!

Also I psychoactive compounds in lichen now that i havnt herd of! All the ones by the sea side are defintally not psychoactive.
"Some thing interesting"

ms_manic_minxx
#31 Posted : 1/12/2011 1:28:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This thread is really growing on me. Rolling eyes Wink

Maybe everyone at the Nexus could pitch in and we could buy Sealand...
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

biopsylo
#32 Posted : 1/12/2011 2:18:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

iceland, check
rocks and lichens, check
Bjork? Cool
what you didn't think she would be in the know?Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/w...oArXwA4&feature=fvst

SKA
#33 Posted : 1/13/2011 12:56:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well needless to say; Might anyone of the Nexus happen to travel to Reikjavik, Iceland, or better; live in Iceland, they should defenitely look into this issue.
Ask the local Youth and if possible visit this bar named Sirkus.

This may be our best bet in finding the particulairly Psychedelic Lichens from the Stone Soup-article, which are said to bring about lengthy visions of trolls much resembling DMT elfs in nature.

I found this article on Lichens and their various uses: http://web.uvic.ca/~stucraw/part1.html

I'll copy and paste a few interresting lines from that page.
Quote:
A novel species of Dictyonema was used by the Waorani as a hallucinogen. They called the lichen Ne/ne/ndape/ and used it in shamanistic rituals (Davis and Yost 1983)
Source "Davis and Yost 1983" sounds like it needs further investigations. Also Waorani culture & history seems worthy of investigation too.

Quote:
An unidentified saxicolous lichen was called Jievut hiawsik [lit. "Earth flower"] by the Pima of California. It was used as a good luck charm, and it was smoked for its narcotic effect (Curtin 1949).

Quote:
In Mauritania, Parmelia paraguariensi is mixed with tobacco and smoked. It is also burned as an insect repellent and used as perfume (Lange 1957).

Quote:
An unidentified pyrenocarpous lichen was used by the Denís of Amazonian Brazil as an recreational snuff (Prance 1972).

Dorge
#34 Posted : 1/15/2011 9:32:50 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

I've worked with usnea, for it's antibiotic properties and oak moss for perfumes.
I've also been very interested over the years of the club moss lycopodium species called lost in the woods that would cause confusion if you smoked it. And the natives in the USA did smoke it.
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

blue lunar night
#35 Posted : 1/19/2011 3:08:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^ i love the fragrance of oak moss, it is deeply satisfying.

unfortunately i don't have a bioassay to share
but for the love of the lichens i'll offer some pictures of Dictyonema sericeum, suspected "hallucinogen" 'nenendape' of the Waorani/Huaorani in Ecuador.

and some related South American Dictyonema species:

apparently Dictyonema, is more closely related to mushrooms than other fungi, being composed of cyanobacteria & basidiomycetes, rather than the typical/common ascomycetes.

and such an enchanting emerald hue! Shocked Surprised

Dorge
#36 Posted : 1/19/2011 4:00:41 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

Thoooooose are just lovely..........
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Ljosalfar
#37 Posted : 1/19/2011 7:13:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome! Thanks for the enchantment and the phylogeny tip!
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman

blue lunar night
#38 Posted : 1/20/2011 3:56:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i just found this little nugget of info regarding the Dictyonema species, from Richard Evans Schultes' article, "Psychoactive plants in need of chemical and pharmacological study".

Quote:
...Dictyonema was once employed in shamanistic ritual, but it apparently has dropped out of use. It was taken "when bad shaman [sic] ate it to send a curse to cause other Waorani to die." It was prepared as an infusion with certain species of bryophytes called kigiwai. The effects of the drug were headache and confusion; it is also said to cause sterility...

seems perhaps it is more pleasing to the eye than the body or mind...
o well
the intrigue remains
Smile

SKA
#39 Posted : 1/22/2011 3:44:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanx for the Visual aid blue lunar night. It's beautyfull.

I found something Wikipedia(source: Shulgin) has to say about the synthesis of 9-Delta-THC by reacting Olivetol, extracted from certain Lichens, with D-limonene in the presence of phosphoryl OxyChloride:

Moderator wrote:
Synthesis talk that involves highly watched or dangerous chemicals and proceedures are not allowed in the Nexus. Please read the attitude page.

Quote:
This compound has been documented [2] as being a usable ingredient in various methods of condensation reactions, which can produce a synthetic form of THC.

One such method is a condensation reaction of olivetol and pulegone[3] as mentioned in the book PiHKAL by Alexander Shulgin. In PiHKAL, Shulgin also notes a cruder method of producing the same product by bringing to reaction olivetol and the essential oil obtained from orange peel in the presence of phosphoryl chloride.[3] It can also be produced by reacting olivetol with a-pinene.
Another method for the stereospecific synthesis of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol comprising condensing olivetol with 2-carene oxide.[4]

I bought PIHKAL an TIHKAL recently and I'm gunna read more, hoping to find Shulgin's mention of what species of Lichens he extracted the Olivetol from.
I checked Wikipedia on "Olivetol" to see if there are other plantsources for Olivetol, but it didn't mention anything but "certain species of Lichens".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivetol

UPDATE: Ooh in the bottom of that Wikipedia page, where the sources are listed, a species of Lichens that contains olivetol is mentioned:
Quote:
Hassuni I, Razxouk H. (2005). "Olivetol: Constituent of lichen Evernia prunastri Ach. or "oakmoss"". Physical and Chemical News 26: 98–103.
I suppose Hassuni I, Razxouk H. is a source worthy of investigation too.
This is the little fellow:

Here is more about the Olivetol containing Lichen "Oak Moss":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evernia_prunastri

Mydriasis
#40 Posted : 1/22/2011 4:57:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm sorry but if that synthesis where done with D-Limonene the product would not be a THC, I say this with confidence. He was referring to another oil in orange peels. Phosphoryl oxychloride is highly toxic! Making it clandestinely could be the last thing you do, especially if you don't know what your doing.

There are easier ways to go about this far far safer. Though you have to look into them yourself.

Is synthesis talk allowed here now?

Anyhow if anyone can find a sample of this illusive unknown moss, I'm sure some primitive tests could be done to at least get an idea for the family of compounds it is in. Marquis reagent may be helpful, may be not. I could never recommend someone smoking something that tribes man say if they hold on to for too long they become ill, and the human variable is a large one(placebo, biased to desired results, etc).

Though to assume that because it's active it has olivetol in itself a logical fallacy. Olivetol is known to be largely inactive, not to say that taking it will not effect your body, but there is very little evidence of it getting you enjoyably 'high'. Referance: Cannabinoids By Vincenzo Di Marzo, page 58. If someone knows otherwise please share a reference.

The sad thing is that there is a large amount of folk-lore behind plants/fungi/animals and not enough accessible scientific information. Take every myth/legend with a kilogram of salt, until analysis can be made.
It's been fun. Thanks for all the wisdom.

PREV1234NEXT»