We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Just an idea for an STB extraction using ammonia gas as a base. Options

Mindlusion
#1 Posted : 1/3/2011 9:46:42 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Just an idea, I think it would be interesting to try. This can be used if someone doesn't have any access to pure lye, or simply just for experimentation.

People have tried using ammonia solution to freebase DMT, but it isn't a strong enough base on it's own to freebase DMT and pull with naphtha.

But what if one were to add some mimosa to water (or even clear household ammonia) then add naphtha. Then while stirring the mimosa water and naphtha solution, bubble in ammonia gas. Outside of course, just a whiff of it will stink up a room.

My theory is the concentration of ammonia would bring the pH high enough for the DMT to migrate over to the naphtha.

Ammonia gas can be created with ammonium nitrate and sodium hydroxide.
Note that the reaction also creates water so its not anhydrous.

NH4NO3 + NaOH ------> NH3 + H20 + NaNO3

Ammonium nitrate is found in instant cold packs
http://www.sciencebuddie...ct_ideas/Chem_img068.jpg

Any type of NaOH can be used, Drano crystals, whatever, as its not going directly into the solution to contaminate the DMT.

The apparatus used for gassing could be a stoppered Erlenmeyer flask with a vinyl tube.
Or one could use a 2L bottle with the cap modified to fit a vinyl tube. Similar to whats used in "shake and bake" methamphetamine manufacture.
A few ml of water (15 - 20 ml) are added to start the reaction, then the cap should be screwed on and the bottle taken outside.

The gas is white because of the water present, I would bubble the fumes until the reaction has finished just to be sure.

Then the solution should be allowed to separate so the naphtha can be siphoned off.
Then one could try to freeze precipitate the naphtha or evaporate it to see if it contains any DMT.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 1/3/2011 10:02:19 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

No matter how much ammonia you'll pump in the basic MHRB solution you'll never reach a pH good to perform an STB. The inability of ammonia to reach a suitably high pH has nothing to do with how much ammonia is used for the basification. It has to do with the fact that ammonia is a weak base. For STB You need either NaOH or KOH, fullstop. Let alone that if you have NaOH to react with ammonium nitrate then you use the NaOH and forget all the fancy dancing.

Which brings me to the last bit; you suggest generating ammonia gas?!?!? Couldn't you think of a more stinky and more toxic gas to play with? Anyway you see this idea, it is really not interesting to try.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

DiMiTriX
#3 Posted : 1/3/2011 10:17:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lol..that's the case that all cats in da house will run away Laughing
Tz'is aná

Mindlusion
#4 Posted : 1/3/2011 10:38:44 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Its just a theory. I read that natural pH of DMT is 8.68, and 1.0 M aqueous solution of ammonia has a pH of 11.6 so theoretically it would work. But, Iv heard reports of people trying to use ammonia as a base with little or no results it kind of undermines my theory.

The pH of ammonia does vary with concentration, gassing with ammonia would increase the pH somewhat.

I know how the fact that Im using NaOH to generate ammonia is pretty ridiculous, but some people have no good source for pure NaOH. Where I live there is no source whatsoever for pure lye. The closest thing I have found is Drano crystals and those are no where near pure so I have to order my pure NaOH online. And I don't really like doing that.

I do agree with the last bit, I enjoy all chemistry but ammonia gas is seriously one of the painfully terrible smelling gasses Iv ever come into contact with.

I don't know why they don't use it as cheap tear gas!

Also

A good separation tek from the impurity's in Drano crystals to yield reasonably pure NaOH would be extremely useful to anyone without access to pure NaOH. I have made many attempts, but with no luck yet.

And, if weak base like sodium carbonate can be used in an A/B, shouldn't ammonia work too? Then again, why use ammonia if you can use sodium carbonate.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

mumbles
#5 Posted : 1/12/2011 9:53:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Great way to have the police and fire crews show up at your door.

benzyme
#6 Posted : 1/12/2011 2:43:34 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Mindlusion wrote:
Its just a theory. I read that natural pH of DMT is 8.68, and 1.0 M aqueous solution of ammonia has a pH of 11.6 so theoretically it would work.

you're forgetting one important detail... DMT is bound to other intracellular compounds, within plant cell walls. you gotta get it out of the cells, a pH of 11.6 will not likely do that.
if you've already lysed the cells, then 11.6 is fine.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck